Teach me everything you know - for free...

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:03 am
This is a question for people who do consulting or time billing or just earn a living by their brains (ie: doctors, teachers). How do you handle people that expect lots of free advice concerning your expertise? I don't mean a quick question or two. I mean the kind of information that has taken years of reading, studying and first hand experience to master. These people assume you are their personal encyclopedia on the subject. Now some of these people do a little business with me, but are in no way big money. However, they think nothing of calling me or emailing me expecting me to teach them a job I do as a consultant or actually execute for a fee. Is there a nice way to tell these people they have a lot of nerve to assume I'm a free information service. What the heck do they think Google is for?

(I have to go back to work, but I'll check in from time to time for your free advice)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,674 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Wy

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:09 am
I had a girlfriend who was a graphic artist. People were always bugging her about potential jobs when she was out to party. Her standard line was, "I don't drink when I'm working, and I don't work when I'm drinking. Here's my card; please call me during business hours and we'll talk then."

You probably need something a bit less flip, especially for people who are already your clients. But handing them a card with a comment like "That's right in my line of work; please call me in the morning when I'm on the job." might figure somewhere in the answer.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:35 am
When I was still practicing law, I was asked about stuff all the time. It helps when you start your answer by asking for a person's address and phone number.

"Uh, why do you need that?"

"So that I can send you my bill. $100 per hour, no out of state checks. Now, what was your question again?"

"Uh, never mind."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:38 am
Now my blood's up . . . let's shoot somebody ! ! !
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:55 am
I'm good at editing manuscripts, both ghastly rough drafts and work that just needs a little final tweaking and polishing.

This does not mean that I want to write high school term papers with no input from the high school student.

I don't care if the kid is related to Mr. Noddy.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:59 am
jespah wrote:
When I was still practicing law, I was asked about stuff all the time. It helps when you start your answer by asking for a person's address and phone number.

"Uh, why do you need that?"

"So that I can send you my bill. $100 per hour, no out of state checks. Now, what was your question again?"

"Uh, never mind."

I thought of doing something like this. How's does this sound?: "I'm rather tied up now, but let's get you on the consultation schedule so we can do this properly"

Although I can hear them say "this is just a quick question" Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:06 pm
My brother is seeing a girl that's a forensic scientist, so you can immagine how many and what type of questions she gets. She responds by changing the subject or saying "I'm sorry, we're not allowed to talk about it."
Not to sure how well either of those would work in your situation, though. It sounds like a big pain in the @ss to have to deal with those people.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:10 pm
Quote:
How do you handle people that expect lots of free advice concerning your expertise?

I make a joke about not wanting to create competition by giving away my secrets.
Laugh it off as best I can, and change the subject.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:10 pm
I answer the question in jargon. Then they either nod knowingly, or risk looking (more) like an idiot.

I'm going to hell.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:13 pm
Green Witch wrote:

I thought of doing something like this. How's does this sound?: "I'm rather tied up now, but let's get you on the consultation schedule so we can do this properly"

Although I can hear them say "this is just a quick question" Rolling Eyes

What about following that statement with
" Wich creates just a quick bill. This is my job, and what I am paid to do. Would you rather come into my office so we can work on it? How about I put you on the schedule for ..."

Or-

Im sorry, I thought you were asing for my services. Have a good day!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 08:04 am
Bottom line, these people are boors. See: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=653721#653721

Anyway, hmm, the question is if you want to burn the bridge or not. I've burned a bridge or two on that, but since I don't practice law any more (and pretty much despised doing so when I did), it didn't matter much. I used to also pull the ethics card with my own family, "Well, since there's a possibility that I could have a conflict of interest in your affairs, because of our close relationship, I have to decline answering your question." If they persisted, I'd add, "Well, it would be an ethical violation and I could lose my license to practice law." And if they continued to insist that it was no big deal, I'd add something like, "My license to practice is very important to me. I worked hard to get it and it was not cheap. I would not like to lose it on an off the cuff question." And perhaps guilt would finally win out (by the way, unless it was my own mother, chances were good that it was not an ethical violation of any sort -- who, normally, inherits from their third cousin? -- but it was a convenient excuse and it often deftly turned the conversation to the direction of lawyer ethics and the like).

If you want to remain friends or keep the client, hmm, let's see.

For a client, it's probably easier. You can maybe push it off into the next time you see them, e. g. "Could you gather your questions all together, and then we'll discuss them the next time you come in? That way, I can devote my full attention to your concerns." If the client is persistent, you could probably add something like you work best in your office where you have access to reference materials (I can't recall what you do for a living or if this would be at all applicable).

As for a "friend", and I use the term loosely because I find such behavior to be so vile that I don't consider such people (who are, essentially, trying to take the food off your table) to be friends, maybe you can also go with the office environment/reference materials angle. Or set up an appointment. Or hand out a business card, e. g. "Let's talk about this during business hours. Right now, let's have some fun. How's little Ichabod?" and change the subject fast.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:59 am
This is indeed tricky. I really don't think that most of these people are trying to get something for free, manipulatively. I think most people just don't think about what they're really doing - right?

I think there are lots of good suggestions here.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 10:14 am
I have a friend who is a film maker that works with non-profits such as museums and historical societies who has a related problem. She will be asked to submit a proposal for a project complete with budget only to find that her proposal is being shopped around to find someone who will do it cheaper. She.n has stopped submitting proposals until the prospective client signs a letter of agreement complete with confidentiality clause only to find that many prospective clients refuse and go elsewhere.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 10:16 am
Or you simply state: "I don't really have time to discuss this issue with
you, but why don't you visit me in my office - let's say tomorrow at 2 pm.
I make some time available just for you."

a) You tell them you don't have time
b) move the subject matter into business and
c) let them know they're nonetheless important enough to make
time available just for them.

If they don't take the hint, you shouldn't have concern to be more
blatant.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 12:45 am
littlek wrote:
This is indeed tricky. I really don't think that most of these people are trying to get something for free, manipulatively. I think most people just don't think about what they're really doing - right?

I think there are lots of good suggestions here.

Sorry to abandon my own thread - work has been all consuming

I think you're correct littleK, the majority just don't get it. The few times I've said to people "we'll have to set up a formal consultation for that kind of detail" has gotten me a startled expression and usually a reply like "Oh, I thought you could just tell me quickly how to install a bluestone patio, create 100 feet of retaining wall and list all the planting material and soil ammendments that would be appropriate. I didn't know I would have to reserve time with you "

I'm going to come back and reread everything when I'm a little more awake.
0 Replies