TV show called "House" on Fox

kuvasz

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:34 pm
Been watching this show called "House" on Fox. It is about a misanthropic and crippled, but brilliant and inquisitive doctor of diagnostic medicine and his merry band of young associates. The guy playing House is a Brit, and is the actor who played a number of idiotic characters on the BBC's Black Adder. That he plays such a great dramatic roll on a drama like House is a great testimony to his skills. he has impeccable timing for his snide remarks that one waits for them with pleasure. Hugh Laurie is his name and he was nominated for an Emmy award last year

Every week a patient comes in, with weird symptoms (from rabies to anthrax to leprosy to simple, ahem, erectile dysfunction), and they nearly kill the poor person with a treatment that is based upon the wrong diagnosis but founded upon the best availed evidence, then they test some more, treat, and nearly kill the patient again, then usually they find out someone involved with the case was lying, and the save the patient, but not always. Interspersed within the hour drama are the interactions of a sarcastic doctor with patients, staff and his vicodine pills (he takes for pain) who does not like to deal with patients personally (because "people always lie") yet can diagnosis them with a glance at times. Sometimes, when he is unable to avoid it he has to work in the hospital's walk-in clinic and offers up great lines such as when arguing with a women who refuses to believe she is pregnant tells her the reason she is fat is because "little people are growing inside of you."

the show is well written, has excellent acting, and great storylines that make you try to figure out what is ailing the patient.

it will be on twice on Tuesday nights this summer rerunning the complete second season.

Watch one show, and you'll be hooked.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,189 • Replies: 21
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:43 pm
Yes, I've watched twice. Enjoy the programe.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:25 am
I've watched it too and have liked it - I like the story lines, etc. But I stopped watching it regularly. I think House's sarcasm is carried to far. Also, they make his character too "right." It is almost like he is always right and everyone else is always wrong. I think they make his character too much of an extreme in those characteristics that make him interesting. Bascially they go so overboard that his character gets more irrating to watch and more predictable.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:38 am
It's one of my favorite shows.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:40 am
Has the season finale already aired?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:01 am
Good ole Brit Hugh Laurie, we are very proud of our export.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:07 am
Loved him as Bertie Wooster.

Might have to check out "House," haven't yet.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:13 am
The season finale was aired this week. It was a bit off beat even for this series; however House was his usual abrasive self.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:16 am
Do your series contain 24 episodes!!?
I noticed House went on forever and we got Medium over here a long time ago and its still on.
Not that im complaining htey are fine shows.

I believe Hugh Laurie seyes get bluer as he gets older.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:18 am
flyboy804 wrote:
The season finale was aired this week. It was a bit off beat even for this series; however House was his usual abrasive self.

Ah, crap. Then I missed it. I guess it will air again before the new season starts this fall.
Thanks, though.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:21 am
Hey, Mr. Doggie. <smile> I love Dr. House. I don't care if he is abrasive, he is GOOD. Yes, he has the bedside manner of a rattlesnake, but what counts is the expertise. I think I would like to have him as a doctor if I had some unknown disease from which I was dying. Of course his character is dramatized. That's what makes him believable.

Incidentally, all. House comes on tonight at 11:00 PM on USA.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:34 am
Back in the "dark ages" I believe the standard was 26 episodes per season. It dropped to 24 and then 22. Today it can be almost anything although 22 is quite common. The key is to be sure they have around 100 by the time the series ends so that they can go into syndication. Of course on pay cable produced programs, 6, 8 or 10 episodes is not uncommon.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:36 am
We only have 6 per series!!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:39 am
I believe that 6 is the magic number for "The Sopranos" next and final season.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:48 am
House is a favorite of mine. I remember Hugh from the TV series "A bit of Fry and Laurie".
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:59 am
Oh wow, you got a 'Bit of Fry and Laurie'!!!They were fabulous in that.It annoys me that great entertainers make a couple fo briliabt series then go on to do other things so we rarely see them.
I love Stephen Fry as well.Do you get Q.I. over there?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:21 am
Actually I used to watch it when I lived in Ireland. I emigrated to the US about 10 years ago.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:45 am
Odd to think that series is about 20 years old!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:46 am
The main thing i remember from taht series is Stepehn Fry dressed up as God all in white and singing a song.

Love the way they emulated Cook & Moore at th end when they sang/played the piano at te end.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:48 am
I absolutely love House.

I think it's my favorite show now. Mostly because I am in love with Hugh Lauries.
0 Replies