blacksmithn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:53 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
blacksmithn- It's a tough "call". I understand what you are saying, and there is a part of me that realizes that people, in an emergency situation, are apt to behave in a less civilized fashion than under normal circumstances.

The problem is, that there is a greater issue involved, and that concerns individual freedoms, and the ability to protect one's own person and property. I think that those freedoms override any real threat, (and I do believe that the threat would be real) that having armed people in the midst of an emergency would engender.

As an aside, I would suspect that if the guns were taken away from law abiding citizens, the criminal element would still find a way to keep a weapon (as they always have, despite the laws). If my suspicion is correct, it would be a far more dangerous situation if the criminal element would have the firepower, while the law abiding citizen would have nothing to use in the defense from one of these criminals.

It is not an easy question, and there are no clear answers. The only thing, that I believe overrides everything, is our constitutional protections, which, IMO, trumps any particular concern.

Every constitutional right has it's limitations when it comes to the safety and well-being of others, e.g., free speech doesn't mean the right to shout "fire" in a crowded theater. Why should this one be any different? What makes the Second Amendment so much more critical than any of the others that it merits this special dispensation?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:53 am
Quote:
I understand the issue of community housing. I think the intent of the bill is that people should have a place to store their guns safely, rather than have them confiscated.

That would make sense to me. If one is being protected under the aegis of the government, (as in emergency congregate housing) it is not unreasonable to require a resident to abide by the rules "of the house".

The kicker is, just how much protection does one have in one of those places?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:59 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
The kicker is, just how much protection does one have in one of those places?[/color][/b]

Not much, but only people with CCW permits would be carrying anyway, unless the "house rules" prevented them from doing so.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:00 am
blacksmithn wrote:
cj-- And that's PRECISELY the response that rescue workers and first responders should NOT have to face. They have better things to do than worry about the firearms wielding guy-- who may or may not be a maniac, but how can they tell one from the other? And how much valuable time will be lost while they try to sort you (presuming you're not a maniac) out from the ones who can't be trusted?

They wouldn't face it at all if they simply asked "Do you need any assistance?" instead of saying "We're here to confiscate your weapons".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:19 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Every constitutional right has it's limitations when it comes to the safety and well-being of others, e.g., free speech doesn't mean the right to shout "fire" in a crowded theater. Why should this one be any different? What makes the Second Amendment so much more critical than any of the others that it merits this special dispensation?

If one shouts, "fire" in a crowded theatre, he is promoting a possible riot, for which the person would be charged as committing a criminal act. It is not the speech that is criminal, but the intent and its ramifications. If someone unnecessarily brandishes a gun, he is also commiting a criminal act, and needs to be prosecuted.

Both amendments are crucial to the freedoms of the US, but people need to be held responsible for any untoward effects that emanate from the use of those freedoms.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:23 am
cjhsa wrote:
In a disaster situation the last thing aside from my life or my family's lives I am going to give up is my guns.

I'm surprised the guns came in third.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:23 am
blacksmithn wrote:
cj-- And that's PRECISELY the response that rescue workers and first responders should NOT have to face. They have better things to do than worry about the firearms wielding guy-- who may or may not be a maniac, but how can they tell one from the other? And how much valuable time will be lost while they try to sort you (presuming you're not a maniac) out from the ones who can't be trusted?

If someone is a maniac, he/she can do as much damage with a straight razor, a bottle opener, or a kitchen knife. I know of a bunch of people who caused incalulable damage with a few box cutters!!! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:39 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
blacksmithn wrote:

If someone is a maniac, he/she can do as much damage with a straight razor, a bottle opener, or a kitchen knife. I know of a bunch of people who caused incalulable damage with a few box cutters!!! Evil or Very Mad

Yes, but on the whole, a maniac armed with a box cutter, straight razor or letter opener is likely to cause less damage compared to one armed with an AK-47, an AR-15 or a .357 Magnum.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:56 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

That explains all of those drive-by bottle openings that the media have been reporting.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:57 am
I don't know that much about guns, but aren't AK-47s illegal for private users?

Anyhow, I know what you are saying, but I still don't think that it is an issue. A nutjob will cause havoc, law or no law. I am more concerned about law abiding citizens being able to protect themselves against the nutjobs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:59 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

That explains all of those drive-by bottle openings that the media have been reporting.

Oh com'on Joe. Do you think that the drive-by shooters would be stopped by some LAW????
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:59 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't know that much about guns, but aren't AK-47s illegal for private users?

Anyhow, I know what you are saying, but I still don't think that it is an issue. A nutjob will cause havoc, law or no law. I am more concerned about law abiding citizens being able to protect themselves against the nutjobs.

And I'm more concerned about first responders being protected from the armed and emotionally traumatized.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:02 am
blacksmithn wrote:
And I'm more concerned about first responders being protected from the armed and emotionally traumatized.

Now that IS a point. I never said that the issue was an easy one. I still don't think that is a reason for disarming every citizen.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Oh com'on Joe. Do you think that the drive-by shooters would be stopped by some LAW????

If we don't think that laws are of some value in stopping unwanted behaviors, then why do we bother passing them?

But then I have no idea why you even bother to ask, since your initial point was not about the effectiveness of gun laws but rather that someone could do as much damage with a bottle opener as with a gun. Frankly, I think that assertion is patently absurd, and I would venture to guess that you would also find it absurd if you gave it any thought.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:01 am
You know what... in my last post on something similar, I kinda forgot my own stance on guns. You kinda do that when you haven't really had to think about your stance on guns or even talk about it for such a long time.

This law would not be a good idea, because guns would be left in the hands of those emotionally traumatised. At that particular point, they might not be very sane.

Then again, maybe it would be a good idea. In times of natural diaster, let the people have their guns. Then they can shoot each other dead. Problem solved...

Then again, it would be almost impossible to take guns away from every citizen so any law contradicting this one would be rather pointless to enact.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:03 am
AK-47's aren't illegal any longer, the patently stupid "assault weapons ban" has lapsed and, surprise, there hasn't been a mass of attacks.

Fully automatic weapons have been banned since before the days of Al Capone. You have to have an extraordinary amount of permits and certification to even possess a fully automatic weapon, unless you are a soldier and are issued an M16.

Semi-auto guns, of which I own several, require a pull of the trigger for each shot.

If guns kill people, where are mine hiding the bodies?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:24 am
cjhsa wrote:
If guns kill people, where are mine hiding the bodies?

Did you check under the sofa?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:44 am
Or the back porch?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 12:09 pm
I looked in the back yard. Found a bunch of dead cats.

http://www.funny-games.biz/kitten-shooting.html
0 Replies