Proof of Jesus' Resurrection

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 07:33 am
neologist wrote:
Setanta is probably right that the decision to leave Judea after Gallus' retreat was a no brainer - for anyone but those too proud to think. So you could call the Christian exodus a coincidence.
You could.
Indeed.

You are willfully ignoring the particularism of what you purport to be your evidence.

First, you ignore the point i made, after providing evidence at great length, that people in the ancient world had habitually underestimated the military resources of the Romans for more than 600 years when the Judean rebellion began. In so doing, you ignore that even had your putative Hey-Zeus existed, predicting that the Jews would rebel was a no-brainer, and that it only required a little more intelligence and perception to realize that a rebellion against the Romans without outside intervention would fail.

In the second place, and more to the point about your particularism, you ignore that anyone who displayed enough sense to get the hell out of dodge before Titus showed up and the hammer came down, was showing simply ordinary prudence--whether we consider them to have been Christians being meaningless in the face of a lack of evidence. To break that down, first, even assuming, just for sake of discussion, that large numbers of "Christians" fled Judea, without good evidence of what proportion they were among all the people who fled Judea, and an ability to relate that to the proportion of "Christians" among the entire population of Judea, you have demonstrated nothing. Second, laying aside unsupported contentions on your part about whether or not "Christians" fled in significant numbers, precisely because you cannot support the contention, the inability to distinguish Jews who were members of that cult and those who were not means that if evidence were discovered in the future about the numbers of people who fled Judea, it will provide no evidence of the extent to which "Christians" reacted to a prophecy. That is why it is significant to note that these people were not known as "Christians," and that no one outside Judaism made a distinction between members of that cult and any other Jews.

In short, you'll never have good evidence from a disinterested source about whether or not there were significant numbers of "Christians" who fled Judea in the first century CE, both because you don't have any baseline data on what proportion of the Jewish population adherents of that cult constituted, and you won't have anyone outside the cult who is going to make a distinction between cult members and all other Jews. What i am pointing out is that you have to take on faith the contention that significant numbers of "Christians" fled Judea just as you have to take all of the rest of it on faith--because you don't have any unambiguous evidence.

Quite apart from that, upon what basis would you assert that before 70 CE, the scriptural texts to which you refer were widely-known, or even existant? Without that, you have absolutely no evidence that such a prophecy were generally known. Finally, of course, you have no basis upon which to refute an accusation that the alleged prophecy were inserted into scripture after the fact.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:25 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Setanta is probably right that the decision to leave Judea after Gallus' retreat was a no brainer - for anyone but those too proud to think. So you could call the Christian exodus a coincidence.
You could.
Indeed.

You are willfully ignoring the particularism of what you purport to be your evidence.

First, you ignore the point i made, after providing evidence at great length, that people in the ancient world had habitually underestimated the military resources of the Romans for more than 600 years when the Judean rebellion began. In so doing, you ignore that even had your putative Hey-Zeus existed, predicting that the Jews would rebel was a no-brainer, and that it only required a little more intelligence and perception to realize that a rebellion against the Romans without outside intervention would fail.

In the second place, and more to the point about your particularism, you ignore that anyone who displayed enough sense to get the hell out of dodge before Titus showed up and the hammer came down, was showing simply ordinary prudence--whether we consider them to have been Christians being meaningless in the face of a lack of evidence. To break that down, first, even assuming, just for sake of discussion, that large numbers of "Christians" fled Judea, without good evidence of what proportion they were among all the people who fled Judea, and an ability to relate that to the proportion of "Christians" among the entire population of Judea, you have demonstrated nothing. Second, laying aside unsupported contentions on your part about whether or not "Christians" fled in significant numbers, precisely because you cannot support the contention, the inability to distinguish Jews who were members of that cult and those who were not means that if evidence were discovered in the future about the numbers of people who fled Judea, it will provide no evidence of the extent to which "Christians" reacted to a prophecy. That is why it is significant to note that these people were not known as "Christians," and that no one outside Judaism made a distinction between members of that cult and any other Jews.

In short, you'll never have good evidence from a disinterested source about whether or not there were significant numbers of "Christians" who fled Judea in the first century CE, both because you don't have any baseline data on what proportion of the Jewish population adherents of that cult constituted, and you won't have anyone outside the cult who is going to make a distinction between cult members and all other Jews. What i am pointing out is that you have to take on faith the contention that significant numbers of "Christians" fled Judea just as you have to take all of the rest of it on faith--because you don't have any unambiguous evidence.

Quite apart from that, upon what basis would you assert that before 70 CE, the scriptural texts to which you refer were widely-known, or even existant? Without that, you have absolutely no evidence that such a prophecy were generally known. Finally, of course, you have no basis upon which to refute an accusation that the alleged prophecy were inserted into scripture after the fact.
The Jews already had a pretty good idea of Roman military superiority, having been a province of one world power after another for over 600 years, according to Jewish texts.

You will note that I was in complete agreement with you about the insufficiency of "evidence from a disinterested source", stating only that the account could not have evolved from nothing. That scriptural texts were not widely known is for the same reason, although they would have been well circulated among those calling themselves Christians.
as real life appropriately wrote:
Before you object that 'those are from the Bible', has it occurred to you that when they were written they were not 'in the Bible' ?
Additionally, I admitted that these events could be ignored as coincidence or even fabrication. . .

You will not be offered a 'smoking gun'. The Israelites witnessed many and still found reasons to disobey. The best I can do is offer you reasons to continue searching, even if your stated purpose is to disprove.

BTW, coffee's on; and I've got some fresh scones.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:32 am
neologist wrote:
The Jews already had a pretty good idea of Roman military superiority, having been a province of one world power after another for over 600 years, according to Jesish texts.

That is not, in fact, true. See the remarks i made earlier about Judas Maccabeus, or look him up online. Part of my point was that the memory of Judas Maccabeus was fresh enough in the mind of the Jews that Roman conquest rankled.

Quote:
You will note that I was in complete agreement with you about the insufficiency of "evidence from a disinterested source", stating only that the account could not have evolved from nothing. That scriptural texts were not widely known is for the same reason, although they would have been well circulated among those calling themselves Christians.
as real life appropriately wrote:
Before you object that 'those are from the Bible', has it occurred to you that when they were written they were not 'in the Bible' ?
Additionally, I admitted that these events could be ignored as coincidence or even fabrication. . .

You're sidestepping the issue of when the texts to which you refer actually were written, and the likelihood is that none of them existed until after the 66-70 CE revolt of the Jews.

Quote:
You will not be offered a 'smoking gun'. The Israelites witnessed many and still found reasons to disobey. The best I can do is offer you reasons to continue searching, even if your stated purpose is to disprove.

BTW, coffee's on; and I've got some fresh scones.

No thanks on the scones, i just had a chicken sammich. The Israelites witness many what? You're not making sense. My points stand. You have no baseline from which to determine how many people in Judea were members of the cult, let alone what proportion can reasonably be said to have fled. Furthermore, fleeing a war zone is just good sense, even if you could assert that a large number of Jews who adhered to the cult fled, you wouldn't have established that it were in response to an alleged prophecy, the source for which may not even have existed at that time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:34 am
Oh, and you continue to dodge the issue that predicting a Jewish revolt, was a no-brainer, and that predicting that the Romans would easily crush it required only a modicum more of perceptive ability. Not much of a prophecy.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 10:43 am
Setanta wrote:
Oh, and you continue to dodge the issue that predicting a Jewish revolt, was a no-brainer, and that predicting that the Romans would easily crush it required only a modicum more of perceptive ability. Not much of a prophecy.
Except that only the first part of it was fulfilled.

The coffee's still warm even if you're not hungry right now.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:20 pm
In response to the initial question, I believe the only "proof" IS in fact, an empty tomb. However, an empty tomb is not proof of anything except a missing body. There is no solid proof that he was ever placed in that tomb. And there very well could have been a group of people to remove the body from the tomb only to claim that as proof of the resurrection.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 12:33 pm
A passover plot, for sure! And the perpetrators were. . .?
0 Replies

petros

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
Re: Proof of Jesus' Resurrection
rosborne979 wrote:
annoyed111 wrote:
Is there physical proof that Jesus resurrected from the dead? (Such as an empty tomb?)

No. Of course not. Besides, I don't know about you, but it would take a lot more than an empty tomb to convince me that someone rose from the dead.

If a stranger you met today told you that he saw someone rise from the dead, you would assume he was crazy. Yet when someone tells you he read the exact same story in an old book, millions of people believe it's true.

Why? Because they trust the person who read the book? He wasn't there either.

Because they trust the book itself? It's just a book, and it's not the original, and it's been translated by people who weren't there either.

Because they trust in a higher power which made the book infalable? The book is the thing which proposes the higher power in the first place.

The first to believe didn't read about the event in a book. Nor did they believe in a HIGHER POWER because a Book proposed the Belief. The Belief was prior to writing.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 09:22 am
petros wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
annoyed111 wrote:
Is there physical proof that Jesus resurrected from the dead? (Such as an empty tomb?)

No. Of course not. Besides, I don't know about you, but it would take a lot more than an empty tomb to convince me that someone rose from the dead.

If a stranger you met today told you that he saw someone rise from the dead, you would assume he was crazy. Yet when someone tells you he read the exact same story in an old book, millions of people believe it's true.

Because they trust the book itself? It's just a book, and it's not the original, and it's been translated by people who weren't there either.

Because they trust in a higher power which made the book infalable? The book is the thing which proposes the higher power in the first place.

The first to believe didn't read about the event in a book. Nor did they believe in a HIGHER POWER because a Book proposed the Belief. The Belief was prior to writing.

book or belief first, it doesn't lend any more validity to the story. a child can believe the cat-in-the-hat is real, and the fact that the story was in the writer's head before he made the book doesn't validate the child's belief.

there is no real "proof" of anything miraculous in the bible other than the bible itself, which isn't exactly objective.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 09:40 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
in response to the initial question, I believe the only "proof" IS in fact, an empty tomb. However, an empty tomb is not proof of anything except a missing body. There is no solid proof that he was ever placed in that tomb. And there very well could have been a group of people to remove the body from the tomb only to claim that as proof of the resurrection.

Depends on what kind of proof you are talking about.

If you are talking about physical, empirical proof then you may be on the right track.

How can you have physical proof when you are looking for a dead body that is not there; or a live person who is not present where you are looking?

However, there are other types of proof beyond empirical proof.

For instance there are legal/historical proofs, including things like the testimony of eyewitnesses.

USAFHokie80 wrote:
petros wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
annoyed111 wrote:

book or belief first, it doesn't lend any more validity to the story. a child can believe the cat-in-the-hat is real, and the fact that the story was in the writer's head before he made the book doesn't validate the child's belief.

there is no real "proof" of anything miraculous in the bible other than the bible itself, which isn't exactly objective.

It may seem obvious, but the writings contained 'in the Bible' were not 'in the Bible' when they were written.

So claiming something 'isn't objective because it is in the Bible' is rather a circular argument.
0 Replies

selfruled

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:15 pm
annoyed111 wrote:

I don't even think that the guy existed to begin with.

Has anyone produced any physical proof at all? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 01:23 am
What kind of physical proof do you ask to be produced?

Do you think the guy Qin Shi Huangdi existed? Based on what physical proof?

How about Chief Black Kettle? I bet you knew very little if anything about either men but, with just a little 'googling' you will not doubt their existence and demand more proof...will you?

Of course not!

You are not in any way offended or disturbed by their existence....are you?

It matters not to you whether the 2 men I mentioned ever existed or not now does it?

I could name thousands upon thousands of more people........same thing.

Jesus on the other hand.......well now....... whether he exists/existed or not......really does matter now does'nt it?

......and not just to those who believe! IMHO
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:43 am
Bartikus wrote:

I don't think he's even comparable. Unlike Jesus, Qin Shi Huangdi deliberately wanted to be remembered and deliberately did everything to ensure his mark was left on this world. It's hard not to know he existed, what with his damned Terracotta Army, huge tomb, his legacy of uniting China, his legacy of the Great Wall, his name written into the historical records etc. etc.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 02:46 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Bartikus wrote:

I don't think he's even comparable. Unlike Jesus, Qin Shi Huangdi deliberately wanted to be remembered and deliberately did everything to ensure his mark was left on this world. It's hard not to know he existed, what with his damned Terracotta Army, huge tomb, his legacy of uniting China, his legacy of the Great Wall, his name written into the historical records etc. etc.

Qin has a legacy, a tomb, written records....etc. You don't need any more proof than this right? How about the Chief? Do you doubt Chief Black Kettle's existence?

Who left a bigger mark in this world? Qin or Jesus

Your right....they are not even comparable.

By the way....what physical proof will there be that any of us existed......2000+ years from now? How about you selfruled?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:24 pm
Inconvenient to the central Christian proposition asserting the existence of the Christian-purported Jesus are the dual considerations that neither contemporary public record nor archaeologic evidence of that person exists, and that the aspects and attributes of that personage are strikingly consistent with the aspects and attributes of personages known to be constructs of legend and myth. While the actual evidence at hand serves neither to confirm nor deny Jesus' existence as a person consistent with Christian scripture, probability argues strongly against the actuality of that circumstance.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:57 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Inconvenient to the central Christian proposition asserting the existence of the Christian-purported Jesus are the dual considerations that neither contemporary public record nor archaeologic evidence of that person exists, and that the aspects and attributes of that personage are strikingly consistent with the aspects and attributes of personages known to be constructs of legend and myth. While the actual evidence at hand serves neither to confirm nor deny Jesus' existence as a person consistent with Christian scripture, probability argues strongly against the actuality of that circumstance.

Gotta disagree with you on this, Timber.

I think the probability (such as we can determine) argues more strongly for the existence of a teacher with the name Jesus.

I think the arguments that Jesus did not exist...or that the probability is that Jesus did not exist...are forced...and a considerable stretch.

I'm not going to argue this point a lot.

Just offering an opinion.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:18 pm
"We have to accept somewhat looser standards. In the legal profession, to convict the defendant of a crime, you need proof beyond a reasonable doubt. In civil cases, a preponderance of the evidence is sufficient. When dealing with the Bible or ANY ancient source, we have to loosen up a little; otherwise, we can't really say anything."

-David Noel Freedman
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 11:55 pm
timberlandko wrote:

The story goes that Leonard Bernstein's father, when asked how come he didn't encourage his son's musical ability more in the early years, replied, "How did I know he was gonna grow up to be Leonard Bernstein?"

You assume, in hindsight, that Roman and Jewish authorities should have recorded information about such a notable figure as Jesus, whose legacy has literally reshaped the world.

Looking forward, there is no way they could have known He would have such an effect. And had they known it, that is the LAST thing either group would have wanted to encourage. They wanted Him to have NO legacy -- they wanted Him to go away and be forgotten.

Another interesting consideration is that speaking or teaching in His name during the first century carried with it all kinds of unpleasant consequences -- including death on some occasions. And you are wondering why more wasn't written about Him?

Still despite these considerations, there are LOTS of folks, including the New Testament writers (remember they weren't writing their books with a view to 'including them in the Bible'. The NT books were written as extra biblical literature.), the early Church Fathers, and writers of non-canonical 'gospels' etc that DID write about Jesus, and testified to His existence.

It is only a kind of circular argumentation that can state 'no document written about Him can actually be used as evidence of Him'.

I've asked this often with no reply: How come the Jews, who as a group had more to gain by proving His 'non-existence' and were closer to any evidence that might support that hypothesis, have NEVER taken that road of argument that you propose to try to prove He didn't exist?

Your statement about 'probability argues strongly against the actuality' is thin air. Nothing more.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 12:04 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
annoyed111 wrote:

Because they trust their hearts to tell them the truth? Maybe. Maybe it's just as simple as that. No logic, no reason, just a simple gut choice.

Ros,

Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that you actually did see someone who had risen from the dead. You not only saw him, you ate dinner with him and talked with him.

What 'proof' would you have?

First hand, personal experience, as opposed to what we have now, which is zero.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 06:14 am
As I stated before, they're not comparable. Qin left a physical record of his existence on the Earth (his actual works and his actual tomb). Jesus did not.

All you've got in favour for Jesus are records. Qin has a little bit more than records.

And I have no idea about Chief what's-his-name.

All I know is that Jesus is an exceptional "historical" figure, whom isn't comparable to any other.
0 Replies