Another journalist suffers "foot in mouth" disease

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:55 am
Tom Friedman's Flexible Deadlines
Quote:

"The next six months in Iraqit might be over in six months, but what's the rush? Can we let this play out, please?"
(NPR's Fresh Air, 6/3/04)

"What we're gonna find out, Bob, in the next six to nine months is whether we have liberated a country or uncorked a civil war."
(CBS's Face the Nation, 10/3/04)

"Improv time is over. This is crunch time. Iraq will be won or lost in the next few months. But it won't be won with high rhetoric. It will be won on the ground in a war over the last mile."
(New York Times, 11/28/04)

"I think we're in the end game now…. I think we're in a six-month windownext few months as we see just what kind of minority the Sunnis in Iraq intend to be. If they come around, a decent outcome in Iraq is still possible, and we should stay to help build it. If they won't, then we are wasting our time."
(New York Times, 9/28/05)

"We've teed up this situation for Iraqis, and I think the next six months really are going to determine whether this country is going to collapse into three parts or more or whether it's going to come together."
(CBS's Face the Nation, 12/18/05)

"We're at the beginning of I think the decisive I would say six monthsthe next six months will tell us a lot. I remain guardedly hopeful."
(New York Times, 12/21/05)

"I think that we're going to know after six to nine months whether this project has any chance of succeeding. In which case, I think the American people as a whole will want to play it out or whether it really is a fool's errand."
(Oprah Winfrey Show, 1/23/06)

"I think we're in the end game there, in the next three to six months, Bob. We've got for the first time an Iraqi government elected on the basis of an Iraqi constitution. Either they're going to produce the kind of inclusive consensual government that we aspire to in the near term, in which case America will stick with it, or they're not, in which case I think the bottom's going to fall out."
(CBS, 1/31/06)

"I think we are in the end game. The next six to nine months are going to tell whether we can produce a decent outcome in Iraq."
(NBC's Today, 3/2/06)

"Can Iraqis get this government together? If they do, I think the American public will continue to want to support the effort there to try to produce a decent, stable Iraq. But if they don't, then I think the bottom is going to fall out of public support here for the whole Iraq endeavor. So one way or another, I think we're in the end game in the sense it's going to be decided in the next weeks or months whether there's an Iraq there worth investing in. And that is something only Iraqis can tell us."
(CNN, 4/23/06)

"Well, I think that we're going to find out, Chris, in the next year to six months

I wonder how his predictions will look... in the next six months? Laughingclick here for source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 535 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:57 am
His prognostications are nonetheless doubtlessly eaten up by those who want to think things will be sorted in the end. His ability to get away with this kind of thing, though, is sadly and accurately based upon the perception that most people don't pay attention, and wish only to be told what they want to hear.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:31 pm
for the best and most hilarious take down on Tommy Boy the Flathead, read the link..... and step away from the keyboard, or you'll need a new one.

FLATHEAD
The peculiar genius of Thomas L. Friedman.

By Matt Taibbi

http://www.nypress.com/18/16/news&columns/taibbi.cfm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:11 pm
Oooooooww!!! Busted! Laughing

Oy, that looks awful, if you list it like that. Good digging, there ;-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:27 pm
I tended to look askance, back when I read and listened to him on Washington Week in Review, because Harvey didn't like him, he of the eagle eye and ear. H. didn't like him for similar reasons as whoever compiled these quotes; he saw him in a sort of a goalonggetalong role while presenting as analytic. So, let's just say that was nonanalytic on my part - since I haven't paid all that much attention to Friedman - and I will admit to agreeing with Friedman from time to time, though I don't remember what about.

So, I find this compilation of quotes interesting. Get along man.
0 Replies