sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:18 pm
I am just pitiful when it comes to cooking. I mean, I CAN, but I have no flair, no imagination, no style. If there's a foodie gene, I ain't got it. I can PRESENT things beautifully, but that's just about the visuals.

This is (one reason) why I adore Trader Joe's. They have cheap, healthy, YUMMY stuff that requires a minimum of preparation time. My current fave is their pizza dough, 79 cents (79 cents!) for about a pound, which makes a 12-inch crust. (It is just a big ball o' dough when you buy it, and you get to stretch it out. The sozlet loves making her own little pizza while I work on the big one.)

So the other day I made it with Mario Battali sauce (fennel, garlic, yummy), pepperoni, black olives, and mozzarella. It was absolutely delish, a hit with everyone, but... boring, right? So can you give me some ideas for great pizza topping combos?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,714 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Rae

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:50 pm
Hiya sozobe ~ my favorite pizza toppings are ham, pineapple, sausage and mushrooms. The pineapple adds a nice flavor to the spiciness of the sausange.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:40 pm
I like cheeses - gorgonzola, or cambozola, to give the emphasis in taste to a combination of 2 or 3 other cheeses - shred your own parmesan for it -
simply adding tomatoes is always good, but good tomatoes are hard to find ...
I like chorizo on pizza, or artichoke ... but none of this is all too original, either.
They sell shoarma pizza here now - can you imagine? bbrrrrr ...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:43 pm
shoarma pizza???

my favorites are also pretty basic. One is margarita pizza with disks of mozzerella and basil leaf (add a little pesto to the red sauce!). And the other is spinach-feta pizza. If you use frozen spinach, really press out the water before topping pizza with it and use sparingly.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:47 pm
Basil leaf! Spinach! I like!

All the yummy cheeses, too.

And pineapple -- that's what I usually order at a place where you can choose your toppings.

But the basil leaf/spinach is really exactly what I'm going for, I think -- yummy, simple, not too expensive, healthy a plus.

Oh and yeah what is shoarma pizza?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:49 pm
Anything that youd put into a fruit salad does not belong on a pizza. Pineapple indeed!!

A real downeast pizza. Whole tomatoes (splotch the pie here and there. garlic (if you have to ask how much, you just dont understand) Asiago atop a thin layer of muzarell, then CRABMEAT< great hunks of crabmeat.. Pepper cracks and a small shot of crumbs with basil (easy on the basil it can f* up a pizza , with too much, unlike garlic which can miss the mark with too little
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:53 pm
naaaaaah fman - I can never get enough basil. Or garlic for that matter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:55 pm
BRING ON THE GARLIC!

I likes garlic. It is one of those benefits of being married. Garlic breath? Too dang bad. Plus we all eat the same things all the time so you dont notice so much. (WE don't... Shocked)

Crabmeat, though... I'm in Chicago, and can't quite bring myself to trust the seafood. No logic to it, just don't trust it.

That sounds perfectly awesome though and is the kind of "D'oh! I never would have thought of that in a zillion years" idea I love to see.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:57 pm
http://www.hugs.org/pestodex.shtml Pesto recipes.

And, did you know that leaf for leaf, basil has better nutrition than spinach?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:59 pm
I did not! It's yummier too. (And more expensive too. Hmm, not too late to plant some. Except that the dastardly wabbits will not let any grow to maturity. Hmph.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:00 pm
If you have sunny windowsil or a window box....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 08:06 pm
My favorite pizza is a seafood pizza with lobster, scallops, and crab meat. Yummy :-D

I am also a cheese person and am looking for the perfect cheese combo.

I make all kinds of pizza with different toppings such as onions, peppers, garlic, pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, and even riccota cheese.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:09 pm
Pineapple is a perfectly acceptable pizza topping.

Harrumph.
0 Replies

Gen

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 11:01 pm
Ok.. so i'm a little odd...

Teriaki Chicken, sliced cashews, baby corn and cooked celery and mushroom. Its even good with the canned chinese veggies for chowmein, the bean sprouts and waterchessnuts, and bamboo. Just drain them, pour them out onto a pile of papertowels and blot them dry before you add it.

I use a layer of the less salt mozzarella, it tends to be a bit dry and thats fine. After the chicken, nuts and veggies I do another layer of Cheese. I use a thick teriaki sauce to dip into. The sauce on the crust is a thin layer of traditional Red.

My kids even eat this one!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 11:31 pm
Gen ~ my mouth is watering! Can't wait to test this recipe out!

mckenzie was kind enough to share an escargot recipe with me ~ I'm gonna be doing some serious cooking this week!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 11:44 pm
Garlic Chicken!!! yummy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 05:24 am
Now I'm getting hungry.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 05:47 am
I like to save bits and pieces of cooked meat to put on pizzas...braised lamb shank is good. Mrs. cav doesn't do too well with tomato sauce, so it's pesto all the way. Now with Montana's seafood pizza...some pesto and a little bechamel, with a combination of mild cheeses, maybe Buffalo mozz, Taleggio and a bit of Gruyere...mmmm....that would be a hit in our house Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 05:54 am
I've just moved up from hungry to drooling!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 05:56 am
Thanks for the cheese suggestion Cav. Now I just hope I can find them around here.
0 Replies