I think we should consider meeting in
A city where some A2Kers now
Reside -- Vienna, Paris, London, or
perhaps in Germany (I don't know where
Our other European members live).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:10 am
I think, that's what e.g. Thomas and I thought as well.
(ALL previous meetings I've attended - in Europe and recently in Chicago - proved the importance of actual local insider knowledge [thanks again to all Chicago, Chicago suburbian and just outsite Chicago residents!].)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:14 am
I already voted for Barcelona, but Mr_B votes for Prague. He's not a member, but would be joining this trip. He fell in love with Prague when he was there in March and would love to go back. Maybe he can count as 1/2 vote and I'll take back 1/2 of my Barcelona vote.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:17 am
I agree about insider knowledge. I combined that with which city would be the most realistic travel destination -- where we'd be most likely to go, as a family, regardless of the gathering -- and chose Paris.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:21 am
J_B wrote:
I already voted for Barcelona, but Mr_B votes for Prague. He's not a member, but would be joining this trip. He fell in love with Prague when he was there in March and would love to go back. Maybe he can count as 1/2 vote and I'll take back 1/2 of my Barcelona vote.

That sounds 'special'. Let's just say I'd be equally happy with either.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:26 am
Bratislava? It's right between Vienna, Budapest, and Prague....

well then, i'll just vote for Vienna. close enough.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 11:04 am
ossobuco wrote:
I had Budapest in there in one of my first tries... Will add it to the growing Other list.

I must be losing my wee mind. I could swear Other wasn't a choice earlier today. Glad to see it now.

That's 'cause I fixed your poll. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 11:06 am
Bless your heart, Jespah!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 11:18 am
I was already planning on going to Munich so it gets my vote but all of the locations sound good to me, I'm just looking forward to a meet that would require more than an elevator ride to get to. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:17 pm
I just talked to E, who travelled to New York with me last year. She's in on Vienna/Eastern Europe.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:59 pm
Yep - I could do Prague (although KitchenPete will leave town if I come! Twisted Evil ) - or Vienna. Clary's in Vienna now - she describes the people as gloomy!

My dates are probably not convenient for others, though!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:35 pm
Vienna I would definitely consider.

Prague or, say, Zagreb would be potentialities, as I could use the occasion to visit dear friends (and hopefully stay with them) - but no promises.

Amsterdam only on the outside chance that I'd be heading home around that time anyway.

All the other places aren't feasible for me I'm afraid -- not enough money / free days to go abroad with no other purpose to combine it with.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:36 pm
Unless, of course, there are takers for Hódmezővásárhely.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:46 pm
nimh wrote:

will you be offering guided tours?

I googled it, and got this

http://www.168ora.hu/image/galery/12/400x400/87.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:18 pm
ehBeth wrote:
nimh wrote:

will you be offering guided tours?

Well, I havent been there myself yet, but I hear it's the home of the famous Venus of Kökénydomb.

http://www.museum.hu/hodmezovasarhely/tornyai/images/0295_p0458_maxi.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:36 pm
This, too, is Hódmezővásárhely!

Click!

Click!

Click!

Click!

Click!

Click!

Click!

Click!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:38 pm
The lady Diane and meself have bean planning a trip to Espania for several years with no particular destination. I am thinking that we will go to Espania regardless of A2k participation. Where, exactly, I am not sure.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 05:14 pm
europe
ebeth wrote : "I googled it, and got this "

that looks suspisciously like vienna ... where mrs h was greeted with heel clicking , handkiss and murmured 'kuesse ihre hand , gnaedige frau'
('kiss your hand , madam') by a retired colonel of the austrian army (in full uniform !) when we attented a concert .
mrs h was quite impressed - didn't wash her hand for rest of holiday !

viennese glum ? we certainly found them extremely friendly and helpful - of course it helps if you know a words of 'viennese' .
hbg

that's a pretty accurate picture of the austrian colonel - except he didn't bring his horse into the concert-hall ; tied it up at lamp-post ?
he actually wore the little 'satchel' - did he have 'refreshments' in there ?
http://www.cdgenealogy.net/oest-ung1798-01.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:52 am
Walter makes a good point about local knowledge. But I've already voted Barcelona....we should all be there today actually they are in a good mood...

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/119745/0/puyol/barcelona/final/
Mrs S said Barcelona or Vienna somewhere we have not been.

But we'll stick with Barca. A2K people will be at home wherever we may Rome.

Just a point...if this poll is time limited (how long left btw?) then we should all agree either to stick by it....er ignore it....

or have another poll, and another, until we all go...our separate ways Smile

(seriously I think we should agree either to abide by the result of this poll or take it as a trial run for the "real official and final poll" next time)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:59 am
http://www.elpais.es/articulo/deportes/Barcelona/gana/segunda/Liga/Campeones/elppordep/20060517elpepudep_10/Tes/
0 Replies