Rice: "Lybia is an important model"

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:29 am
mysteryman wrote:
I thought this was exactly the kind of diplomacy you say we need more of.

I thought wanted more diplomacy and less force.
Now,we have a serious diplomatic move,and you are complaining about it.

Exactly what do you want?

Wait a second ! You misspelled a-p-p-e-a-s-e-m-e-n-t.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 10:16 am
FWIW

(that's Lybian and Middle-Eastern activists, btw, not the DailyKos variety):

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:30 am
I am a bit confused Nimh, do you support the start of diplomatic relations with Libya or not? Do you still think the US, or the west in general, should not have interactions with governents that have proven ties with terrorist organizations?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:13 am
McGentrix wrote:
I am a bit confused Nimh, do you support the start of diplomatic relations with Libya or not? Do you still think the US, or the west in general, should not have interactions with governents that have proven ties with terrorist organizations?

To be honest - not to minimize the harm done by support to terrorist organisation, thats obviously also Very Bad - but I'm more interested in the human rights track record of the regime domestically. It affects far more people (wrecks more death).

Confused? Yes, that may be right. I'm uncertain about this - one of the reasons I started this thread.

At first blush, I certainly sympathise with the Lybian opposition group quoted in the article above though. I'm no fan of war, as will be known, but actually expressing support for a dictatorship and holding it up as a "model" is too much of the opposite to my taste.

If I'd had it my way, we'd freeze every brutal dictatorship out of all support, funding etc. Consistently apply all means of pressure short of war. In general, what I'd really like is for this shizophrenic lurching from cuddling dictators to sabre-rattling against them (and back again) to be replaced by a consistent line of isolating the regime and supporting the democratic opposition (if available). Wherever dictatorships rule (and whichever political colour they are).

My uncertainty comes from realising that for any kind of carrot and stick approach to work, you have to be able to flex a little way this or that, engage in some wheeling and dealing with the baddies. But when I hear about Lybian oppositionals feeling betrayed, I can see where they come from.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 04:23 pm
Quote:
If I'd had it my way, we'd freeze every brutal dictatorship out of all support, funding etc

Thats been tried,and many on the left raised hell about it.
Remember the economic sanctions against Iraq?
The sanctions against Cuba?
Or North Korea?

Every time that is tried,many on the left raise hell and start screaming that we are killing the children by cutting off funding or food shipments to dictatorships.

It wasnt very long ago that people were saying that thousands of kids were dying in Iraq because we wouldnt ship any economic aid or food aid to Iraq.
We tried cutting off supplies and aid to NK,to get them to the table to talk,and That was also railed against.

The embargo against Cuba has been railed against and condemned by many on the left since it was first implemented.

So,if we cant go to war,and any attempt at an embargo to dictatorships is going to be condemned and railed against,what is the alternative?
0 Replies