Bush's Unanswered Letter - A Strategic Mistake

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:06 pm
Bush's Unanswered Letter - A Strategic Mistake

By Tom Porteous
5-13-6

The first reaction of the Bush administration to the extraordinary letter from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been to dismiss it out of hand on the grounds that it does not offer any compromises over Iran's nuclear enrichment program. That's a strategic mistake, because the biggest complaint of Middle Easterners about the United States is precisely that it has consistently failed to listen to concerns of the kind outlined by Ahmadinejad.

Continue to read:
http://www.rense.com/general71/unas.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 503 • Replies: 4
No top replies

username

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:16 pm
One is reminded of the Cuban missile crisis. If I remember correctly the colossal post-mortem summation of it that went on a couple of years ago, Kennedy was confronted with a letter from Kruschev that offered diplomatic openings, followed by a slightly later letter that was essentially only saber-rattling. Rether than get all puffed up and react with "my stick is bigger than your stick", Kennedy simply ignored the second letter, seized on the first, and diplomatically resolved the crisis and got the missiles out of Cuba. Which was just what we wanted. Of course Kennedy was not incompetent.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 08:57 pm
Solve, I haven't read your link but my feeling is that our administration should answer this letter in classic diplomatic fashion, not replying to its content in any way but putting forth our own country's concerns about Iran's nuclear program, supporting Iran's desire for nuclear power for domestic use and offering our help in that effort. We do not have to answer the Prime Minister's letter directly. We can do it obliquely. We can take it as an overture and express our desire to communicate with them and our hopes for discussions on all subjects of interest to both countries.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 10:35 pm
Ahmadinejad sounds like he is running for the Democratic nomination for President. He would probably get a fair number of votes, but really isn't a big fish in the fight, and not ignoring him is a waste of time.

Does anyone really think he is doing anything but shucking and jiving? North Korea shmoozed the UN and presidents Carter and Clinton for more than ten years, to its benefit.

All you folks who find meaning in the virtual tea tea eaves of Ahmadinejad,
Chavez, the Bolivian dude, Putin, Castro, and a dozen other wannabe prophets aren't following the the ball very well. Just like Stalin, they are attractive to a small bent percentage of Liberals, and end up in hell.

OOps. ..................I mean HELL.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:21 am
There is something to the belief that only a war monger can make peace. Only Nixon could go to China. President Ahmadinejad has credibility with the radical right in Iran. President Bush has credibility with the radical right in the US. If they could work something out, even if it is just restored diplomatic relations, the usual cast of characters who normally oppose such deals would go along because they felt their interests were represented. President Ahmadinejad's letter was a great pretext for the US to send a letter. That letter need conceed nothing, nor must we lessen pressure on the nuclear front.

The US should be able to discuss issues frankly with any country on the planet willing to talk to us. If Iran wants a frank discussion, then let's do it. It probably won't be pretty and I doubt that Presidents Bush and Ahmadinejad will go out for beers afterward, but let's give it a go. I don't see anything to lose.
0 Replies