Corporate injustice

cutie12

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 03:32 am
Corporate injustice
makes me really depressed. I worked for several companies for 6 years and in all those companies managers did everything possible, includin illegal and unethical practices, in order to stole more money from me. This injustice is the strongest influence towards my depression, since I have a strong sence of justice. I just want to quit and never work for any corporation. What can I do in order to fight that injustice? What careers are best for this? What can I do about it in my free time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,174 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 07:28 am
If you know an employer or corporation is doing something wrong and you cannot stand still and watch, then stand up and speak. I have been in the workforce for 20 years and when I was young and inexperienced in 'the ways of the world' I either did not know, understand or realize how to make things different. As I've gotten older I am less likely to stand by when I think something is wrong. I will say my piece, and if I feel cheated or I'm treated unfairly, I can be insistent.

-- The first thing is to identify a problem.
-- The second is to research your legal rights and have this information as your back-up.
-- The third is to identify who in the company are the relevant people who should be approached (your direct supervisor, your department manager, human resources, the office head, the corporate head office manager) and then talk to your direct report about the issue and explain clearly where you see a problem, indicate a solution, and back it up with your research.
-- If no satisfactory result ensues, go further up the corporate chain and repeat these steps.

I once worked for a company that wanted to let me go (they needed to make cuts, nothing personal really). They had me train another employee on the accounting work that I did and I caught onto the signals and knew what they were doing. I went to the Department of Labour to find out what I was entitled to if they let me go even though the workload was still there. They advised me of my rights and on the day the manager came to my office to tell me they were giving me two weeks notice he expected me to be taken by surprise. I wasn't. I was ready for him. I asked him for the reason they were letting me go and told him I wanted it in writing, on company letterhead. He prepared the document, signed it and gave it to me, and when he indicated they would only be paying me two weeks severance pay, I wagged my finger at him and said "no", pulling out my documents where I'd had the Dept of Labour work out what my redundancy expectations were. I had worked at the company several years and was entitled to 12 weeks pay. He was flabbergasted but could not refute my demands. The fact that I had gone to the Department of Labour scared him because he knew then that if I didn't get what I was due, I had no compunction in going back to the DOL and suing the company for redundancy.

Do your research, but I will say one thing - pick your battles. If you are complaining about not getting paid for 10 minute breaks then you are just whining. A company who works you hard is just that - a company who works you hard. It is your responsibility to find out about and take breaks you are entitled to. Even though the company did not tell you about the breaks, get over it. You are creating a mountain out of a molehill. Learn your lesson on this one and let it go. You will be better prepared for the next time. In a lot of workplaces, breaks are given but not because the company HAS TO. You are entitled only to a lunch-break. Company practices everywhere are lax. They don't tell you everything when they hire you and for many places it is one (unspoken) rule for some and another for others. You will never find a company or employer that is 100% perfect - they don't exist. Your working experience is as good as you make it. If you sweat all the small stuff and let it get to you, you will never be happy no matter what the environment. You have to pick your battles, enjoy what you can, continue to learn and be challenged, make the most of your experiences and don't let it get you down. We spend so much of our lives in the workplace that it shouldn't be a completely miserable experience!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 10:28 am
Some of this may also be a function of working in a lot of places in a short amount of time.
0 Replies

cutie12

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 02:52 am
Thank you for your answers. I'll think about it
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 12:26 pm
Heeven, you're mostly right, especially about picking battles. In the state where I live, tho, an employee must be given (at least) a ten-minute paid break at least once every four hours, and if the employee works more than five hours, a 30-minute lunch break (which does not have to be paid) is mandatory. We have to sign meal-break waivers stating that we understand this rule if we choose to work through a 30-minute break in order to get the work done on time.
0 Replies

wheelz2001

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 05:01 pm
Learn to bite the bullet or quit
I have a lot in common.

If you decide to QUIT.
Save enough money to last you a year.i'm not kidding. It is not your current pay for a year. It is probably only half of that.Calculate wisely.

Make it a priority.
After that discuss your situation with everyone who matters to you and assuage them that you are doing the right thing.
Be prepared to here rosy stories abt the company after you quit.
Just dont regret.
How do i know this. I have done this.
If you decide to rough it out there is a book out there called"the no A$$()le rule". Read it . It has soem good advice.
0 Replies