Whatever ever happened to...

Shapeless

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 02:45 pm
Re: Whatever ever happened to...
RexRed wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Why should we adhere to the Christian culture?

And why shouldn't we?

RexRed wrote:
I wanted a "balance"...

Good luck trying to reconcile these two things.

RexRed wrote:
But you seem so "self" convinced that God is imagined that you are as twacked as Pat...

In fact, I didn't say anything about my religious beliefs. It's not surprising in the least that you think I have, though. It's what your categories have taught you to believe: those who aren't on one side are necessarily on the other. Good luck trying to find "balance" that way.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 04:23 pm
Shapeless wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Why should we adhere to the Christian culture?

And why shouldn't we?

RexRed wrote:
I wanted a "balance"...

Good luck trying to reconcile these two things.

RexRed wrote:
But you seem so "self" convinced that God is imagined that you are as twacked as Pat...

In fact, I didn't say anything about my religious beliefs. It's not surprising in the least that you think I have, though. It's what your categories have taught you to believe: those who aren't on one side are necessarily on the other. Good luck trying to find "balance" that way.

Are you denying there are not extremes? You are being extreme by making light of the extremes...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:05 pm
RexRed wrote:
This is what the left wing LIBERAL agenda has brought us to.

Hollywood and big business tearing down our morals till we have a completely corrupt society...

Where are old fashioned virtues? It has been replaced with modern road rage...

Some conservatives love to bring up this meme: today's morals have gone to **** because of liberal influence.

First off, I personally find it interesting that, far from running amock, teen pregnancy is actually going down - and has been going down since 1994 (ie also throughout most of the Clinton years).

But this is also the point in the argument where it makes sense to bring some other oft-posted statistics back up. Specifically, statistics by state.

The general question they yield being: "If it were liberals who are bringing down morals, how come they seem to be breaking down so much more severely in red states?"

I'm going to post some details in a new thread, starting with those on Divorce.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:36 pm
Shapeless wrote:
...Ovaltine? Drive-In movies?

You can still buy Ovaltine today, in a plastic bottle ($3.50/bottle) and Drive-Ins are still available in a few States.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:37 pm
nimh wrote:
Those punks hanging round on random squares, with their mohawks and bottles of beer? Did they adapt and become upstanding citizens? Drop out and die? Are they still being punk, but in the privacy of their own homes? Have they turned into social workers? Security staff? Stockbrokers? Bricklayers?

Probably all in jail!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:40 pm
RexRed wrote:

Whatever happened to waiting till marriage before making children?

The "creative" spirit?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:41 pm
By the way, whatever happened to the "COALMAN"?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:43 pm
RexRed wrote:
Well made clothing that doesn't "malfunction"...

More like a malfunctioning society...

Does everything you wear today, have to come from Mexico, Egypt, Columbia, China...etc?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:44 pm
Why did the "IceBox" become the refrigerator?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:26 pm
Miller wrote:
Why did the "IceBox" become the refrigerator?

Freon
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 07:32 pm
Can we return to innocence?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:12 pm
You're about as innocent as the asp that bit Cleopatra's left tit.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 04:52 am
Look at how RexRed ignored nimh's statistical posts that showed it was the right-wing controlled states that are seeing the most corruption.

Furthermore, don't you see that it is Capitalism that is driving Hollywood's agenda? Capitalism with no social conscience tends to come from the right-wing of politics, as left-wing parties are the most likely to force companies to do their bit to society e.g. paying more taxes to fund the Government's social programs etc. etc.

Such blinkered thinking is blinding you to the truth of the matter and that is, that the Republicans are equally to blame.

May I point out to you that many of my political beliefs were shaped by the days when I was brought up in a Christian school and taught Christian values. They are remnants of the days when I considered myself Christian.

If anything, Christianity is left-wing.

Note also this particular statistic:

http://www.itaffectsyou.org/blog/images/teenpreg.png

Taken from:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr52/nvsr52_10.pdf
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 06:18 am
Chai Tea said
Whatever happened to
Quote:
.....living simply?

I got a kick out of that because we recieved 2 Christmas presents this year, that were essentially chochkies with "SIMPLIFY" on them. What the F?

I figured that this crap was worthy of being a collection but then, the entire joke of the "simplify" choch would be defeated and Id become someone who missed the point entirely. Im so cionfused. We should have just taken the damn things and thrown them into the ocean
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:08 am
Whatever happened to lace-up pink corsets and directoire knickers?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:11 am
spendius wrote:
Whatever happened to lace-up pink corsets and directoire knickers?

What knickers?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:13 am
Whatever happened to troubadours who rode from castle to castle with their instrument always at the ready to entertain the courtly ladies to be found therein and relieve their unspeakable ennui with romantic songs of the golden days long past.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:15 am
spendius wrote:
Whatever happened to troubadours who rode from castle to castle with their instrument always at the ready to entertain the courtly ladies to be found therein and relieve their unspeakable ennui with romantic songs of the golden days long past.

They've evolved into boy bands.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:18 am
Wolf wrote-

Quote:
What knickers?

Aah!What innocence. I'm touched.

Google it Wolf. I feel sure you'll get the idea. They have most things on Google,some of it quite amazing from a sociological point of view, and I can't see them missing out Directoire knickers. I would guess it's bigger than A2K.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:07 pm
I miss the glass milk bottles. I want glass milk bottles. It's a crying shame I only get to hold glass beer bottles nowadays, and milk cartons.
Curse progress! At times like these I realize I'm an archconservative at heart...
0 Replies