Whatever ever happened to...

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:15 am
Re: Whatever ever happened to...
RexRed wrote:
And why shouldn't we?

A question best suited for the Spirituality and Religion forum. If this is the main focus of your post, then I suggest you restart another one over there as it would be best suited there.

There is no reason to adhere to one particular religious doctrine.

The decrease in people attending Sunday Church is down to:

1). People not buying into religious dogma
2). People realising there are other faiths which are equally as good.

Dot matrix printers? This is a post about the "Good Old Days", not the "Dark Ages".

EDIT: The last post which you added soon before I posted mine (so I didn't read it) confirms to me that the agenda of your post is discussing not the good old days, but why we shouldn't return to Victorian Christian ideals.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:19 am
Dating versus sex in the city mentality...

This is the collapse of Christian morality? Will that not have an effect on culture and human de-evolution?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:19 am
Dark ages... hehe Smile
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:21 am
RexRed wrote:

Okay that I'm not too happy about, but that is little to do with Christianity and more to do with upbringing. After all, it's not just Christianity that is against what you've mentioned.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:21 am
Spiritual truth is not dogma...
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:22 am
RexRed wrote:

Oh? Prove it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:26 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Okay that I'm not too happy about, but that is little to do with Christianity and more to do with upbringing. After all, it's not just Christianity that is against what you've mentioned.

You will find that subtly there are many factors eroding our culture that have not been mentioned yet here... It only takes a close scrutiny of today's culture compared to yesterday's.

We have as a society done a poor job at raising the young...

Look at our school scores compared to less developed countries...

We are in decline because of the liberal agenda plain and simple.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:28 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Oh? Prove it.

Disprove it, culture is on it's way to proving AGAIN that decadent societies lead to self destruction...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 11:31 am
I will agree that repressive societies do also damage culture.

But which is better lawlessness or tyranny?

Where is the balance?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:04 pm
RexRed wrote:

You're right, it's not. It becomes dogma when you foist it on others... what would go under the category of "tyranny" in your last post.

RexRed wrote:
Where is the balance?

Probably in a place where people realize how arbitrary it is to classify the human population into neat categories like "Left" and "Right," and thinking that one side shoulders the blame for the other's problems. If you want to find the balance, start by seeing beyond these straw-man categories (like "world culture" or the "liberal agenda") and not letting them do your thinking for you. It will help put the accountability on people, who will most likely be found in both camps, rather than abstract concepts.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:37 pm
Shapeless wrote:
RexRed wrote:

You're right, it's not. It becomes dogma when you foist it on others... what would go under the category of "tyranny" in your last post.

RexRed wrote:
Where is the balance?

Probably in a place where people realize how arbitrary it is to classify the human population into neat categories like "Left" and "Right," and thinking that one side shoulders the blame for the other's problems. If you want to find the balance, start by seeing beyond these straw-man categories (like "world culture" or the "liberal agenda") and not letting them do your thinking for you. It will help put the accountability on people, who will most likely be found in both camps, rather than abstract concepts.

Oh I see, are you saying to ignore the radical left agenda to corrupt America and bring about anarchy? What ever happened to patriotism?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:38 pm
Well made clothing that doesn't "malfunction"...

More like a malfunctioning society...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:40 pm
Sports games that don't end in a brawl...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:43 pm
The church can be "liberal" within it's core and this can lead to the same corruption...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:44 pm
Email updates Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:48 pm
Is the world evolving by moving away from spirituality?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:50 pm
My high-school girlfriend?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:23 pm
RexRed wrote:
Oh I see, are you saying to ignore the radical left agenda to corrupt America and bring about anarchy? What ever happened to patriotism?

No, you don't see. Your tunnel vision only allows you to see two options: Christian doctrince and anarchy. Patriotism and the radical left agenda. Devolution and spirituality.

It's the same tunnel vision that makes Pat Robertson think September 11 wouldn't have happened if America rid itself of feminists. If you want to join him on that crusade, go ahead. (I'm sure we'll all be safer from terrorist attacks by telling women to shut up.) Just stop pretending that what you're seeking is a "balance" between "lawlessness and tyranny." Since those are the only choices you're allowing, own up to your own words and pick one.

RexRed wrote:

No, it's evolving in spite of it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 01:25 pm
We are living on the edge...

One break in the ladder and it all tumbles down.

Everything has become so instant that there is no infrastructure to maintain the rate of growth versus the earth's capacity to sustain life.

When I went on the forums 7 or 8 years ago and wrote a piece on live journal (This was before even ABUZZ)

I wrote a blip on Easter Island and about consumption.

How the islanders became land locked when they depleted a specific single resource... "wood".

Today it is oil...

My father being a US Merchant Marine sea captain on supertankers most of his life and my mother's father was also a US Merchant Marine captain on supertankers through two world wars. He also was in the US navy and was dropped off on the beach at Normandy after his tanker had been shot down by a u-boat.

So, my family was in oil too..

My mother and father single handedly went up against Edwin Muskie of Maine when the senators and legislative branch of Maine wanted to put an oil refinery in Eastport Maine...

Can you imagine a single oil spill would have had on the fishing industries of Maine if they had been permitted to put this refinery in Eastport?

The underwater shoals off the coast of Maine are so plentiful and the fog makes the waters treacherous to navigate in a storm. It take miles for a tanker to be able to even stop.

So back to Easter Island... The people of the island cut down every tree so they could not then make a boat and leave the island until the Spanish landed there many years later. All, so they coulds move rocks around.

Will we say someday soon, "Do you remember when there used to be oil?"

I guess because I was raised in oil my families money was in oil I was educated the finer points and have always had an interest in the subject of energy in general.

The philosophical angle of this is what make us consume until a resource that is vital to our survival is completely depleted?

Isaac Asimov said something to the effect... "Oil should be the match that lights the lamp and not the the fuel in the lamp."

It is like the world is in a frenzy. How do we break this insatiable desire and propensity to hastily bring about our own end?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 02:06 pm
My comments are in red...

Shapeless wrote:
RexRed wrote:

No, you don't see. Your tunnel vision only allows you to see two options: Christian doctrines and anarchy. Patriotism and the radical left agenda. Devolution and spirituality.

It's the same tunnel vision that makes Pat Robertson think September 11 wouldn't have happened if America rid itself of feminists. If you want to join him on that crusade, go ahead. (I'm sure we'll all be safer from terrorist attacks by telling women to shut up.) Just stop pretending that what you're seeking is a "balance" between "lawlessness and tyranny." Since those are the only choices you're allowing, own up to your own words and pick one.

Morality or immorality? You pick one... I did not say I wanted either lawlessness or tyranny, I wanted a "balance"... Morality is that balance.

RexRed wrote:

No, it's evolving in spite of it.

Evolving toward what, immorality?
Spirituality is the guide to morality...

And by the way I don't remember Pat Robertson ever making the claim that he was God or infallible...

But you seem so "self" convinced that God is imagined that you are as twacked as Pat...
0 Replies