Identity Theft - What's to be done??

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:36 pm
There has been a lot of talk in recent years about the growing (presumed growing anyway) problem of Identity Theft. As of today we have a Commission of sort being created to look into ways to reduce/eliminate the problem.

So, what sorts of laws could be put in place to reduce identify theft? I'm not talking about what you or I can do to protect ourselves individually but on a larger scale. What laws could be enacted on businesses and individuals that would, if they work, would prevent someone from stealing your identity better than our existing laws?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,705 • Replies: 45
No top replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:44 pm
There's a lot that can be done. It seems that a popular way for theves to use your name is to get the credit card ads out of your mailbox and use them. I'd love for there be a "do not mail" list, like there is a do not call list.

There is a way to get off of a lot of those mailing lists by contacting the companies that give you your credit report. I did that a month ago, so I'm hoping soon that I won't get those mailers anymore.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:10 pm
I suppose that could be a start Ms. Emily! Even making it easier to opt out of getting those notices would be nice.
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:22 pm
That's just one thing that can be done. I'd advise people to get a credit card that's insured against such crimes, and of course, be careful where you use your credit card.

Even if you're extremely careful, identity theft CAN happen.

* Pay close attention to your bank and credit card statements each month.

* Use strong passwords on ALL of your internet accounts (from simple email accounts to banking accounts)

* Install something like AVG anti-virus protection on your PC so some key log or webtracker can't be installed from the internet or email (even email from friends can be rigged with such a small virus type program, and they say that it may just as likely be someone you know trying to steal your identity as a stranger).

* Get a credit report twice a year, and check it carefully.

I'm sure there's lots more to be said on this issue, but anyone would agree that its better to prevent a crime than have to spend years recovering from it. Your best bet is to catch the crime early so your credit and funds aren't completely wiped out.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:33 pm
Do away with SS numbers! Problem solved!

Ever wonder why other countries don't have a problem with
identity theft? They don't track people by their SS#, they use
your date of birth only.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:27 pm
Eliminating the use of SS numbers for anything but SS porposes would be a start as well. IMO, that's only a small portion of the reason you don't see the problem oin the same scale in Europe though. They have many other laws (which we could emulate) that restrict what data private companies can keep on individuals and how long they can keep it. That severely limits the scope of any security lapse.

It can create some other problems that we'd have to deal with though.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:28 pm
EmilyGreen wrote:
That's just one thing that can be done. I'd advise people to get a credit card that's insured against such crimes, and of course, be careful where you use your credit card.

Even if you're extremely careful, identity theft CAN happen.

* Pay close attention to your bank and credit card statements each month.

* Use strong passwords on ALL of your internet accounts (from simple email accounts to banking accounts)

* Install something like AVG anti-virus protection on your PC so some key log or webtracker can't be installed from the internet or email (even email from friends can be rigged with such a small virus type program, and they say that it may just as likely be someone you know trying to steal your identity as a stranger).

* Get a credit report twice a year, and check it carefully.

I'm sure there's lots more to be said on this issue, but anyone would agree that its better to prevent a crime than have to spend years recovering from it. Your best bet is to catch the crime early so your credit and funds aren't completely wiped out.

These are all things that each person could do but I don't think they can be enshrined in law very well.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:53 pm
fishin' wrote:
Eliminating the use of SS numbers for anything but SS porposes would be a start as well. IMO, that's only a small portion of the reason you don't see the problem oin the same scale in Europe though. They have many other laws (which we could emulate) that restrict what data private companies can keep on individuals and how long they can keep it. That severely limits the scope of any security lapse.

It can create some other problems that we'd have to deal with though.

Right, the number could be used for SS purposes only.

Privacy is something that we probably don't have in the US any longer. Every little car dealer has the ability to log into a system to check one's credit history, and along with that, other data is visible as well. This
is definitely a huge security loophole.

I would eliminate that feature altogether, and have private companies check the credit history of a client, via written request only. These requests should go to a central agency that collects all data. Before issuing any information, the central agency should contact the client
whose credit history is requested, and seek approval prior to issuing
a statement.

It might take a few days longer to get a car, creditcard, house etc.
but it would be much safer for all consumers.
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:01 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Do away with SS numbers! Problem solved!

Ever wonder why other countries don't have a problem with
identity theft? They don't track people by their SS#, they use
your date of birth only.

I'm not aware of the amount of identity theft in other countries. Is there a way to verify that the US has a higher crime rate in this area?

fishn' - you can't wait for the government to solve this problem, you have to make measures yourself to prevent this crime happening to you.

* another thing you can do is to use a shreader (sp?) to completely wipe out the chance of someone initiating a credit card in your name using those horrible ads you get in your mailbox. Don't ever just throw them away.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:09 pm
Do any of you know who is responsible at the federal level for investigating identity theft?

Seven years ago, shortly after applying for a mortgage on an income property, I was victimized. It sucks. Persistence is key. The cops could give a **** - they just want to hand out speeding tickets.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:11 pm
EmilyGreen wrote:
fishn' - you can't wait for the government to solve this problem, you have to make measures yourself to prevent this crime happening to you.

I fully realize that but it wasn't what I was asking about. I'm interested in the sorts of proposals that this newly chartered commission might come up with for changes in existing laws to address the problems and what the possible repercussions of thos echanges might be - hence the reason this was posted in the Legal forum. Wink

They are all excellent tips though!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:16 pm
lots of tips here:
http://www.privacyrights.org/
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:18 pm
Privacy Survival Guide:
How to Take Control of Your Personal Information

link
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:21 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Privacy is something that we probably don't have in the US any longer. Every little car dealer has the ability to log into a system to check one's credit history, and along with that, other data is visible as well. This
is definitely a huge security loophole.

I would eliminate that feature altogether, and have private companies check the credit history of a client, via written request only. These requests should go to a central agency that collects all data. Before issuing any information, the central agency should contact the client
whose credit history is requested, and seek approval prior to issuing
a statement.

It might take a few days longer to get a car, creditcard, house etc.
but it would be much safer for all consumers.

Would it be safer? I've seen numerous horror stories recently about people that applied for jobs and the company then went to a 3rd party to do background checks and reported back all sorts of incorrect info on the applicant. Those 3rd party companies are the ones who are the biggest problems IMO.

We know who the 3 credit reporting comapnies are and we have the ability to see what they have on us. Other databases like Lexis-Nexis or Zabasearch (and a few hundred others) also collect data they can find on you and you have no way of knowing what's in there, who is accessing it and how the information is being used.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:22 pm
husker wrote:

Not looking for tips. I'm looking for possible effective changes in laws.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:24 pm
EmilyGreen wrote:
I'm not aware of the amount of identity theft in other countries. Is there a way to verify that the US has a higher crime rate in this area?.

I know that Europe has - if at all - a very, very low rate of identity theft.
The reason is primarily that there is no such thing as an SS#. Everyone
carries an ID card, and the date of birth is sufficient to identify a person.

If you want numbers Europe vs. US then you'll probably find something on
google.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:26 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
EmilyGreen wrote:
I'm not aware of the amount of identity theft in other countries. Is there a way to verify that the US has a higher crime rate in this area?.

I know that Europe has - if at all - a very, very low rate of identity theft.
The reason is primarily that there is no such thing as an SS#. Everyone
carries an ID card, and the date of birth is sufficient to identify a person.

You are right that numbers numbers are much lower (almost non-exsistant) in most of Europe - not so sure it's the SS # that does the trick though. If that was it then it would be even easier to steal someone's identity. You'd need even less info to do so.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:26 pm
Make it a hangin' offense. That's my suggestion. Or allow victims to track down the perps and kill them. It's an insideous crime.

And by the way, the responsible entity would be the Secret Service.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:
And by the way, the responsible entity would be the Secret Service.

The responsible entity for what?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:30 pm
For investigating identity theft.
0 Replies