Identity Theft - What's to be done??

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:33 pm
cjhsa wrote:
For investigating identity theft.

Only if it involves bank fraud. If I steal your identity for purposes of intercepting your mail then the Postal Inspector has responsibility. If I assume your ID to check out (and steal) a book from the local library then the local police dept has responsibility. Who has responsibility for each case depends on what crime was committed with the assumed ID. There is no central Identity theft law enforcement agency.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:33 pm
fishin' wrote:
Would it be safer? I've seen numerous horror stories recently about people that applied for jobs and the company then went to a 3rd party to do background checks and reported back all sorts of incorrect info on the applicant. Those 3rd party companies are the ones who are the biggest problems IMO.

We know who the 3 credit reporting comapnies are and we have the ability to see what they have on us. Other databases like Lexis-Nexis or Zabasearch (and a few hundred others) also collect data they can find on you and you have no way of knowing what's in there, who is accessing it and how the information is being used.

You see fishin, here is the problem: no company should be allowed to
have insight into your credit history or background, period. If a company
is requesting such information, than they have to ask the prospective
employee to gather these information and supply them.

In Europe, every citizen can request and obtain a police record for
themselves to give to whoever request it. That is sufficient. No employer
needs to know the credit history of its employees unless they're applying for a government position.

Usually, banks collect credit data from clientele and will exchange these data among other banks, but never to individuals.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:37 pm
Postal inspector just defers to the SS.

Police just hang around the donut shop dreaming up new ways to give you traffic tickets.

Been there done that.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:42 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin' wrote:
Would it be safer? I've seen numerous horror stories recently about people that applied for jobs and the company then went to a 3rd party to do background checks and reported back all sorts of incorrect info on the applicant. Those 3rd party companies are the ones who are the biggest problems IMO.

We know who the 3 credit reporting comapnies are and we have the ability to see what they have on us. Other databases like Lexis-Nexis or Zabasearch (and a few hundred others) also collect data they can find on you and you have no way of knowing what's in there, who is accessing it and how the information is being used.

You see fishin, here is the problem: no company should be allowed to
have insight into your credit history or background, period. If a company
is requesting such information, than they have to ask the prospective
employee to gather these information and supply them.

In Europe, every citizen can request and obtain a police record for
themselves to give to whoever request it. That is sufficient. No employer
needs to know the credit history of its employees unless they're applying for a government position.

Usually, banks collect credit data from clientele and will exchange these data among other banks, but never to individuals.

*nods* Agreed! But under Europen law every company has restrictions on what data they can keep, how long they can keep it for and who they can give it to.

For example, under German law the telephone company isn't allowed to keep a record of who you call or when you made calls. Your bill is based on "units" of phone time used. As a result the phone company doesn't have a database full of records that details who you call, your calling patterns, etc.. so they aren't selling that data to other companies.

This is the sort of thing I anticipate as proposals from this commission but I wonder if we in the US would accept it. If you got a phone bill for $300 next month (lets assume your normal phone bill is $50/month) and no details as to who was called or when would you pay the bill or would you fight it? Whne you called the phone company to complain that you were being overscharged and wanted more info to determine if teh calls were valid and they told you that the law prevented them from keeping any such records what would your reaction be? Could we, in general, adapt to not having the information ourselves? Would we be willing to sacrafice that sort of thing in order to better secure our privacy?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:43 pm
You're talking abouth Highway police here, cj - they have little to
do with this subject.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:43 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Police just hang around the donut shop dreaming up new ways to give you traffic tickets.

Been there done that.

False. I worked for the Secret Service and know exactly what they will and won't handle.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:48 pm
fishin' wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Been there done that.

False. I worked for the Secret Service and know exactly what they will and won't handle.

Is that the reason for this thread? Of course the SS isn't going to be concerned with a stolen library book. Who would be? Mail fraud and bank fraud almost always go hand in hand. Thus the deferral.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:54 pm
fishin wrote
Quote:
For example, under German law the telephone company isn't allowed to keep a record of who you call or when you made calls. Your bill is based on "units" of phone time used. As a result the phone company doesn't have a database full of records that details who you call, your calling patterns, etc.. so they aren't selling that data to other companies.

Yes, that's correct. Not only the telephone company, but every other
firm is restricted from using data to sell to marketeers or other entities.

Quote:
This is the sort of thing I anticipate as proposals from this commission but I wonder if we in the US would accept it. If you got a phone bill for $300 next month (lets assume your normal phone bill is $50/month) and no details as to who was called or when would you pay the bill or would you fight it? Whne you called the phone company to complain that you were being overscharged and wanted more info to determine if teh calls were valid and they told you that the law prevented them from keeping any such records what would your reaction be? Could we, in general, adapt to not having the information ourselves? Would we be willing to sacrafice that sort of thing in order to better secure our privacy?

Unfortunately, this is true too. You cannot monitor who is calling whom,
however, I haven't heard of anyone that got a $ 300 bill unjustified and
wasn't able to check it out with the phone company and work out something. Mistakes like these do happen but are rare though.

Actually, I don't think we need to give up an itemized phone bill, we
just need to restrict the various phone companies from selling the
private information to other vendors.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:55 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
You're talking abouth Highway police here, cj - they have little to
do with this subject.

I was told by fraud investigators to file a police report, so I went down to the police station to do so. I met with two "detectives". CJ, if you had been there, you would have proposed, twice. Two stunningly good looking 6'+ tall cops in shiny new uniforms who could only take the report and say "We're very sorry this happened to you". What a joke.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:56 pm
Has anyone here actuallly been a victim, besides me?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:59 pm
No, I haven't been a victim, but I do take precautions. I only have 2
credit cards, rarely give out my SS#, and do most banking online to
avoid any potential mail fraud.

Sure someone could hack my computer, but I took precautions there
as well.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:01 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Unfortunately, this is true too. You cannot monitor who is calling whom, however, I haven't heard of anyone that got a $ 300 bill unjustified and wasn't able to check it out with the phone company and work out something. Mistakes like these do happen but are rare though.

I know of lots of people that it's happened to! lol When I was stationed over there a very good friend of mine got a phone bill that was over $3,000! Very Happy The phone company was zero help but they did finally figure out what had happened.

They were using a baby-sitter who was calling a friend of hers from their house. Turns out the friend had moved from Germany to Panama and the kid was calling and chatting to Panama for 2 hours a day. (The sitter's parents paid the bill in the end.) The US military people over there seemed to run into a lot of that sort of thing - mostly, IMO, because they were just so used to being able to get the info to verify the calls themselves that they never really thought about it until it happened.

Quote:
Actually, I don't think we need to give up an itemized phone bill, we just need to restrict the various phone companies from selling the
private information to other vendors.

Yeah, I don't know where things will come out in the end. just trying to think of the possibilites, the repercussions, and what the general public reaction to them might be.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:04 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
No, I haven't been a victim, but I do take precautions. I only have 2
credit cards, rarely give out my SS#, and do most banking online to
avoid any potential mail fraud.

Sure someone could hack my computer, but I took precautions there
as well.

Mail fraud is the least of your worries. SSL has been compromised. I'm unsure if I will continue shopping online.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:06 pm
I think my original suggestion is pretty reasonable, considering the consequences of this crime. Kill 'em.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:17 pm
Well, fishin, the phone company wasn't so wrong there Wink
In the last 5 years there has been a lot of technical progress made,
almost everyone has ISDN and various call functions to restrict
kids, babysitters and so on. Similar to here, where you can block 900 #
for your children.

cj, what good will it do you, if they're killed? Wouldn't it be much
better, if they had to repay every cent of it. First, all assets are auctioned off, then funds from prison work confiscated, and later (if they ever make it out) their wages will be garnished. That would be a fair deal to me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:19 pm
There's no "fair" in crime. They ruin people's lives. Kill 'em. In public.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:22 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Well, fishin, the phone company wasn't so wrong there Wink

No, they weren't! lol But would people here in the U.S. believe it if the laws here were changed? We don't have the same level of trust in companies or our government entities (at all levels) as the Europeans do (with good reason!) which lead s me to think that proposals to limit data in that sort of manner would be rejected by the US public even if it greatly increased their privacy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:54 pm
fishin wrote
Quote:
....proposals to limit data in that sort of manner would be rejected by the US public even if it greatly increased their privacy.

Well, you can't have one without the other. But frankly, I would put
it on a ballot - probably first on a state level, not federal, and let the
people decide. I gather, by now, we're so fed up with Homeland Security
and Bushingers preying on us and spying on our private phone conversations, that the outcome would be quite favorable. Call me an
optimist! Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:03 pm
That's scary - put it on a ballot. Keep doing that and watch your rights slip away.

Keep as many decisions as possible in the hands of people who know what the hell they are talking about, not the public ballot box.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:05 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin wrote
Quote:
....proposals to limit data in that sort of manner would be rejected by the US public even if it greatly increased their privacy.

Well, you can't have one without the other. But frankly, I would put
it on a ballot - probably first on a state level, not federal, and let the
people decide. I gather, by now, we're so fed up with Homeland Security
and Bushingers preying on us and spying on our private phone conversations, that the outcome would be quite favorable. Call me an
optimist! Smile

Do you really think Bush is spying on YOUR conversations? What the heck are you talking about?
0 Replies