This is clearly backwards

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:17 am
Everyone is complaining about gas prices.

The reason that gas prices are too high is because there is a great demand for gasoline. Obviously a good solution for this problem is to convince people to drive less. Getting more people to use public transportation is a very good way to achieve this.

So what are we doing?

First politicians are moving to give "rebates" to drivers for gasoline, and lowering taxes on gas. These are excellent ways to convince people to drive more.

Second (at least in Boston) there are plans to increase the cost of public transportation, which of course means less people will use public transportation.

Don't you think this is a bit idiotic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,064 • Replies: 75
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:18 am
Yes.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:24 am
Extremely. And so typical.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:35 am
"It could be one of the dumbest ideas of the year."

Jerry Taylor of the Cato Institute, a conservative think tank in Washington DC (MSNBC.com, 28 April), Quote taken from New Scientist.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:35 am
What annoys me the most is the belief that my vote could be bought for such a pittance....
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:39 am
Quote:
Taylor pointed out that as proposed, the rebate would go only to people who paid federal income tax last year, meaning it would be no help at all to the millions of low-income Americans who pay no income taxes but arguably suffer the most in times of rising fuel prices. About 100 million taxpayers would qualify for the rebate, which would be limited to filers with incomes under $150,000 for couples or about $100,000 for singles. It would cost more than $10 billion.

Not only that, but the same tax rebate would go to the Wall Street trader who takes the subway to work every day and to the rural Wisconsin farmer who uses thousands of gallons of fuel in his business, Taylor noted.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12521259/

What hair-brained fool came up with this scheme?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:41 am
Re: This is clearly backwards
ebrown_p wrote:
Everyone is complaining about gas prices.

First politicians are moving to give "rebates" to drivers for gasoline, and lowering taxes on gas. These are excellent ways to convince people to drive more.

Don't you think this is a bit idiotic?

It ties right in with the President's clear vision for victory in Iraq, however.

(Are we still playing that game?)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:16 am
We are helping the Iraqi people build a lasting democracy that is peaceful and prosperous. Victory is just around the corner, and how can we get to victory but by SUV, since the buses aren't running yet?

It is important to note that, unless we continue making clear, resolute and difficult decisions regarding increased oil consumption, the Iraqi's will have no oil industry from which to pay for their Freedom.

President Bush is seeing to it that terrorists no longer have access to Iraqi pipelines. Instead, he has given them over to American companies. Hence, Americans are helping build a country that will never again be a safe haven for terrorists.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:27 am
<<Ebrown wonders why every thread on A2K from immigration to gas prices is turning into yelling about Iraq>>

I don't think Iraq has that much to do with what I am griping about.

I use public transportation daily-- and the fact that there are thousands of us who do helps lower your gas prices (and cuts down on congestion and pollution).

Yet in Massachusetts, public funding for this important infrastructure, that makes your life better even if you don't use it, is limited to 1% of the sales tax.

When I read about raising public transportation fares-- even as people are talking about decreasing gas taxes and even refunds for drivers, I get a bit upset.

If we raise gas taxes and put the additional revenue into improving public transportation we would all be much better in the long run.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:29 am
You know, public transportation in Iraq is booming, thanks to our President's resolute plan to achieve victory for democracy there!
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:31 am
Very Happy

@ebrown_p: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74260

That'll clear your doubts about Iraq.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:39 am
Mr. ebrown,

I'm afraid you are under the impression that supply (or lack of) is driving the price of gasoline. That's what they want you to think so they can justify the price without calling it "gouging.".

If supply and demand were the driving force behind gas prices, and with China being the newest / largest consumer of gasoline / oil, shouldn't their price per gallon be higher than $1.54?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:52 am
My dear Squinney,

You are under the impression that if Americans drove less, the prices would not be any lower.

I am afraid that thats what "they" want you to think.

((Economics 101: you can't "gouge" with a product that has less demand than available supplies)).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:56 am
Thanks for the Iraq link, it went right over my head.

That's funny.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 11:00 am
Okay, I am already driving less, more out of rebellion to their record profits and concern for the environment than the cost.

Many of us are already driving less, and more will join in as the prices continue to climb.

We'll see what happens to the price of gas over the next few months.

I am all for your support of public transport and tax support for that system. I just don't think the oil companies will give up their profit margins. They only have a couple of years left to make hay.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 11:09 am
I hate to be a poopity pants here, but what happened to the idea of an individual doing something to use less gas?

You know, the ususal...

Drive a little slower - a drive that takes 17 minutes at 65 takes 20 at 55. Actually the difference would probly be only 1 or 2 minutes, not 3, since some of the drive will not be on the highway.
But I don't LIKE driving SLOWER, you whine.....tough.

Realizing that if you lift your foot off the gas your car will not come to a screeching halt. One of the most annoying things I see people do while driving is that gas/break/gas/break/gas/break thing. God I hate that.

Of course, the big blasphemy, get rid of that tank you drive. Yes, I know, it'll be terrible having to drive yourself and 2 kids around in an actual car rather than something that's big enough to haul livestock....get over it.

I know I'm being difficult...perhaps this post won't even be acknowledged. But I'm so freaking sick and tired of some people acting like they couldn't make it through the day without being able to mindlessly zoom around at will.....they're ENTITLED for Gods sake. Don't you realize it would INCONVENIENCE me to WAIT for 5 minutes to get what I want.

I think peoples thought process is clearly backwards, if you ask me.
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 12:02 pm
How much higher would you like gas taxes to be? They are already 7 - 8 times higher than oil company profits on gas.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 12:11 pm
The only thing that will inspire Americans to drive sensibly (i.e., fewer miles in more efficient vehicles) are high gas prices. Gov't policy won't do it--not that this gov't will do anything constructive, anyhow.

(And I now "get" why so many of us are posting on Iraq everywhere, though I still think that any joke gets old after a while...)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 12:18 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
The only thing that will inspire Americans to drive sensibly (i.e., fewer miles in more efficient vehicles) are high gas prices. Gov't policy won't do it--not that this gov't will do anything constructive, anyhow.

You don't believe that some people would be less wastefull out of concern for environmental, next generations (let's get real, THIS generations) welfare?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 12:21 pm
I think that some percentage of people would -- about as many as already are. The rest of us need to punished economically before we figure it out.
0 Replies