Do *ANY* creationists understand evolution?

fishin

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:10 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
So, is religion necessary, or might something else fill the void if it didn't exist?

I think some of the same effects could be (and probably are) achieved by civic groups but I can't think of any other group/organization/government entity that could command the same level of effect on such a scale.

Religions provide for the possibility of an after-life and I don't see how any civil or social group can do that without becoming a religion in itself.

Unless the concept of there being something more than just being our earthly selves can be quashed I don't forsee any way of eliminating religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:33 am
Many people, and i am one, do not object to the idea of religioin or spirituality, but to the organized religions, and all of the sorrow which they bring in their train. Although i doubt that they will ever disappear, organized religion does not command the same respect and following in the western world that they once did. What the future of Islam may be is anyone's guess, although i suspect that with enough time, it will sink into a senescence equivalent to that which seems to be overtaking christianity. Hinduism has lately been used to whip up anti-Muslim fervor in India, but it is once again not at all certain that Hinduism remains a vigorous doctrine commanding the devotion of many followers. Chinese civilization provides an excellent example of a civilization which arose and reached great heights of sophistication without reference to organized religion. Among the Chinese, ancient and modern, ancestor worship without immutable creed nor priestly hierarchy remained the strongest religious expression of the people.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 09:31 am
Ancestor worship? I'd say more Ancestor Veneration. After all, do Catholics worship Saints or pray to Saints?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 12:03 pm
The one thing creationists can be sure to understand is our Leader's clear vision of the victory in Iraq that is just around the corner.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 09:57 pm
@rosborne979,
Do any creationists understand evolution?

http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Religion2.jpg
DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Creation, or how the Universe came into being, is a separate issue from what happens once things have gotten started....
rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:11 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Re: Robert Gentel (Post 3367655)
Creation, or how the Universe came into being, is a separate issue from what happens once things have gotten started....

And a Creation"ist" is very different from someone who is actually trying to have a rational discussion about how the Universe came into being.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:14 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Re: rosborne979 (Post 2023731)
Do any creationists understand evolution?

So I take it you agree.

So far on A2K, we have yet to see even a single Creationist who understands evolution well enough to know what they are objecting to.

RL probably comes the closest, but even he continues to make fallacious arguments regarding the basic process of evolution.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:16 pm
@rosborne979,
I do agree, but to be fair I think a lot of the people arguing with the creationists don't understand evolution either, even if they believe in it.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
(sorry for the length)

Science vs. God

"Let me explain the problem science has with Jesus Christ." The atheist professor of philosophy pauses before his class and then asks one of his new students to stand.

"You're a Christian, aren't you, son?"

"Yes sir," the student says.

"So you believe in God?"

"Absolutely."

"Is God good?"

"Sure! God's good."

"Is God all-powerful? Can God do anything?"

"Yes."

"Are you good or evil?"

"The Bible says I'm evil."

The professor grins knowingly. "Aha, the Bible!" he considers for a moment.

"Here's one for you. Let's say there's a sick person over here and you can cure him. You can do it. Would you help him? Would you try?"

"Yes sir, I would."

"So you're good...!"
"I wouldn't say that."

"But why not say that? You'd help a sick and maimed person if you could. Most of us would if we could. But God doesn't."

The student does not answer, so the professor continues. "He doesn't, does he? My brother was a Christian who died of cancer, even though he prayed to Jesus to heal him how is this Jesus good? Hmmm? Can you answer that one?"

The student remains silent.

"No, you can't, can you?" the professor says. He takes a sip of water from a glass on his desk to give the student time to relax.

"Let's start again, young fella Is God good?"

"Er...yes," the student says.

"Is Satan good?"

The student doesn't hesitate on this one. "No."

"Then where does Satan come from?"

The student: "From...God..."

"That's right. God made Satan, didn't he? Tell me, son. Is there evil in this world?"

"Yes, sir."

"Evil's everywhere, isn't it? And God did make everything, correct?"

"Yes."

"So who created evil?" The professor continued, "If God created everything, then God created evil, since evil exists, and according to the principle that our works define who we are, then God is evil."

Without allowing the student to answer, the professor continues: "Is there sickness, Immorality, Hatred, and Ugliness? All these terrible things, do they exist in this world?"

The student: "Yes."

"So who created them?"

The student does not answer again, so the professor repeats his question. "Who created them? There is still no answer. Suddenly the lecturer breaks away to pace in front of the classroom. The class is mesmerized.

"Tell me," he continues onto another student. "Do you believe in Jesus Christ, son?"

The student's voice is confident: "Yes, professor, I do."

The old man stops pacing. "Science says you have five senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Have you ever seen Jesus?"

"No sir. I've never seen Him "

"Then tell us if you've ever heard your Jesus?"

"No, sir, I have not."

"Have you ever actually felt your Jesus, tasted your Jesus or smelt your Jesus? Have you ever had any sensory perception of Jesus Christ, or God for that matter?"

"No, sir, I'm afraid I haven't."

"Yet you still believe in him?"

"Yes."

"According to the rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your God doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?"

"Nothing," the student replies. "I only have my faith."

"Yes, faith," the professor repeats. "And that is the problem science has with God. There is no evidence, only faith."

The student stands quietly for a moment, before asking a question of his own. "Professor, is there such thing as heat?"

"Yes," the professor replies. "There's heat."

"And is there such a thing as cold?"

"Yes, son, there's cold too."

"No sir, there isn't."

The professor turns to face the student, obviously interested. The room suddenly becomes very quiet. The student begins to explain.

"You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, unlimited heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit up to 458 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold; otherwise we would be able to go colder than the lowest -458 degrees. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-458 F) is the total absence of heat. You see, sir, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it."

Silence across the room. A pen drops somewhere in the classroom, sounding like a hammer.

"What about darkness, professor. Is there such a thing as darkness?"

"Yes," the professor replies without hesitation. "What is night if it isn't darkness?"

"You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is not something; it is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light, but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness, isn't it? That's the meaning we use to define the word. In reality, darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn't you?"

The professor begins to smile at the student in front of him. This will be a good semester. "So what point are you making, young man?"

"Yes, professor. My point is, your philosophical premise is flawed to start with, and so your conclusion must also be flawed."

The professor's face cannot hide his surprise this time. "Flawed? Can you explain how?"

"You are working on the premise of dua lity," the student explains. "You argue that there is life and then there's death; a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can't even explain a thought. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life, just the absence of it."

"Now tell me, professor. Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?"

"If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, young man, yes, of course I do"

"Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?"

The professor begins to shake his head, still smiling, as he realizes where the argument is going; a very good semester, indeed.

"Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you now not a scientist, but a preacher?"

The class is in uproar. The student remains silent until the commotion has subsided.

"To continue the point you were making earlier to the other student, let me give you an example of what I mean."

The student looks around the room. "Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the professor's brain?" The class breaks out into laughter.

"Is there anyone here who has ever heard the professor's brain, felt the professor's brain, touched or smelled the professor's brain? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain, with all due respect, sir. So if science says you have no brain, how can we trust your lectures, sir?"

Now the room is silent. The professor just stares at the student, his face unreadable.

Finally, after what seems an eternity, the old man answers. "I guess you'll have to take them on faith."

"Now, you accept that there is faith, and, in fact, faith exists with life," the student continues. "Now, sir, is there such a thing as evil?"

Now uncertain, the professor responds, "Of course, there is. We see it everyday. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God.

God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

(sorry for the length)

The length isn't a problem, the complete irrelevancy to the topic is though.

I just read through the whole thing and briefly entertained the notion that you'd posted to the wrong thread, then realized you may well think that a long pointless anecdote about God and atheism is related to a thread about understanding the theory of evolution somehow.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Embarrassed Oops, it seems that I DID post to the wrong thread. My apologies as the post was not, indeed, related to the actual subject.

As for the thread topic. I do understand the evolution theory. I also understand the creationist theory. That seems to negate both theories.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:22 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
As for the thread topic. I do understand the evolution theory.

Then maybe you're not a Creationist.

Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:26 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Quote:
As for the thread topic. I do understand the evolution theory.

Then maybe you're not a Creationist.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I did say that I also understood the creationist issues.

It is unfortunate that you choose to quote only the part of a post that suits your response.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:57 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
It is unfortunate that you choose to quote only the part of a post that suits your response.

I quoted what was sufficient to make my point.

If you *are* a Creationist (a YEC), then I bet you don't really understand evolution. Do you classify yourself as a Creationist? (by Creationist, I mean someone who believes the creation story of the bible in a literal sense).

My contention with this thread is that a true hard-core Creationist (Young Earth Creationist as a primary example) not only doesn't understand evolution, but doesn't even understand the basic concepts of evolution.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 02:56 pm
Here is a thread that was only getting started when it quit.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 08:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yup, it's been three years since I started this thread and we haven't yet seen a real creationist who demonstrates a grasp of the fundamentals of evolution.

Intrepid claimed to be a Creationist and also to understand, but then he bailed out when I asked him to clarify the bounds of his creationism.

I guess I find it difficult to believe that anyone can comprehend the fundamentals of biological evolution and still not recognize the truth of it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 08:27 pm
@rosborne979,
As weve seen, even a scientist may overboard his science if it clashes with his politics.

and I ask for indulgence here, but I feel that much of the "global warming" beliefs are as a result of politics first
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 08:34 pm
@farmerman,
I honestly have never had a real position on global warming. I live like a worm in a cocoon. How would I ever know the truth?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 04:27 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Quote:

I quoted what was sufficient to make my point.

If you *are* a Creationist (a YEC), then I bet you don't really understand evolution. Do you classify yourself as a Creationist? (by Creationist, I mean someone who believes the creation story of the bible in a literal sense).

My contention with this thread is that a true hard-core Creationist (Young Earth Creationist as a primary example) not only doesn't understand evolution, but doesn't even understand the basic concepts of evolution.

I don't believe in a young earth. I also don't believe that it was chance evolution that brought everything to where it is.

P.S. - I didn't bail out. I just forgot about this thread. Wink