So, I Want My Family To Paint... Now What?

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:26 am
I have a terrible time buying art work to hang. Our family room has been bare walled far too long. We have diverse interests, and I don't want to hang art that is only appealing to me.

So, I came up with this idea that I would buy pre-framed blank canvas's, some brushes and basic paint colors and have each family member do their own "Art." By buying basic red, blue, yellow, black, white, brown, they would have to mix their own colors.

The rule is that it has to be abstract. I'm not looking for perfect form, I want expression of self through color choices, brush strokes, heaviness / lightness, balance, etc.

So, I've bought the supplies, and started on mine. Covered it with white. Started again. Covered it with white. Now I'm just staring at the blank canvas.

Abstract SEEMED so easy. Where do I start? Are there rules I don't know about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,855 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:29 am
Hey, squinney. That's the nice thing about abstract art. There ain't no rules. Razz
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:41 am
Well, that was what I thought, until I started. Then it looked... I dunno... stupid, or something. Like I was trying to give it form and meaning rather than letting it just happen.

Do abstract artists have a mental image of the end result before they start?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:50 am
squinney, I think one must be inspired to write, paint, sing, whatever. If you want your sweet kids to paint, just put the tools where they can find them, then encourage and inspire. You're good at that, gal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:10 pm
You so are.

I'm not an abstract art expert, but I think there are a lot of different approaches. When I've done it, I've just kinda started and then messed with it until it looked "right".

But yeah, it's not so easily done, that's why there are abstract artists making the big bux! It looks waaaaaaaay easier than it actually is.

Maybe it'll help if you have some sort of parameters. How many people will be painting? If 4, maybe each of you can claim a season -- winter, fall, spring, summer. Then try to represent that season through colors, movement, etc.

Even if it's not obvious what's up in the final analysis, it can give you the oomph to get going on it. I never made any abstract art I really liked, but the cool thing is that if you start in one direction and it goes in another, well, go with it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:37 pm
What a very cool idea, squinney. Really really fun.

Why don't you have each person paint their favorite song?

They could either interpret it literally or they could paint the way the song makes them feel. Either way you could end up with a neat variety of colors and styles and content that really "says" something about each painter.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:44 pm
boomer, that's a great idea. squinney could always ask them to paint what their dad sings.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:21 pm
Those ARE great ideas - seasons or songs.

We won't necessarily all be painting at the same time, cause I really think it has to be a free flowing expression - just whenever one of us feels like working on it. Right now all of the supplies are at the table. Plastic plates waiting to hold globs of color. A cup waiting for water. Paint is unsealed and brushes loose from their packaging.

Maybe I could put one of the CD players with headphones there so we could pop in a favorite CD for inspiration.

I found THIS artist assistance.

I began mine the other night. After about 15 minutes, youngest son see's it as he's heading for the fridge and says "Oh, Ocean Harvest."

I looked. I looked again. I started laughing.

He says "Seriously, doesn't it look like a stalk of corn coming out of a sand bar area of the ocean?"

Shocked Shocked Then I see it... Laughing Laughing

So, I paint over the whole thing 'cause I don't want a picture of corn growing in the ocean. (I mean, really. Does anyone?)

About 15 minutes later he comes back to see my progress?

"What did you do? You erased "Ocean Harvest?" My Gosh, Mom. That was like a perfect picture of you since you like the ocean but miss your midwestern roots and all."

Shocked Crying or Very sad

Yeah, it's harder than I thought it was gonna be.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:27 pm
Unfortunately the bear here couldn't draw a stick man without screwing it up.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:32 pm
Try some abstract sculpture, bear.

http://www.davidshrigley.com/images/sculpture/stick.jpg
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:39 pm
That reminds me of the day after I drank a lot of Tequila at Myrtle Beach one night... it looks like one of my poops the next day
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 02:29 pm
Let's NOT hang pictures of THAT in the house, Bear.

I like this guys interpretation and approach.

I keep thinking "I could do that." Then I stare at the canvass some more.

Maybe I need to challenge everyone here to do an abstract, then post a pic of it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 03:33 pm
Your last link reminded me of Mark Rothko, squinney. He's one of my favorites. (http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/rothko_mark.html)

The Rothko chapel in Houston Texas is one of my favorite places on the planet.

Okay... I haven't seen that much of the planet but it would have a hard time being better than this chapel.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 07:05 pm
Thanks for the intro to Rothko, Boomer. I like his "muted" colors.

Was trying to figure out if I wanted to do primary / bright, or more subdued hues. I"m starting to think I've got a split personality. So much to express... so little canvass.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 07:15 pm
That's a great idea, squinney. Maybe (to entice the family further) you
should have prices next to the artwork, and who knows, the one or
other visitor might buy one of your masterpieces. Smile

Here is are some examples of abstract paintings
http://www.artquotes.net/directory/1artists_abstract.htm
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 07:43 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
That's a great idea, squinney. Maybe (to entice the family further) you should have prices next to the artwork, and who knows, the one or other visitor might buy one of your masterpieces. Smile

And, after I'm famous have someone discover my "Ocean Harvest" under layers of paint???

Not a chance!!!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 01:29 pm
Sozobe and Boomerang gave good advice. Abstract painting is not easy! You do need to have an idea behind it - it could be music, seasons etc as has been suggested.

you could use shapes and/or colour range as a starting point. Decide to use a limited range of colours and play with shapes and pattern, making as many variations of colour and tone with that limited range as you can. Think of the complementary colours (orange and blue, purple and yellow and red and green) and using subtle versions of them - like terracottas and slate blues - your canvas will have a 'glow'.

Or make a 'blue' or 'red' painting - getting as many variations as you can into a single colour - purply deep reds through to pale soft wild rose pinks.

Just a few thoughts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/vivien/eharlequinsmallpaintings014.jpg

this one is playing with diamonds and stylised frayed edges (it's part of a series based on the Harlequin costume from the Commedia del Arte). It's a small one, only about 12 ins square.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 03:39 pm
Thank you, Vivien. More great info and help is needed. My family is not cooperating.

So far, I have done one canvas, and my daughter painted the entire surface of hers solid black, then stopped. Shocked

The boys all think I'm nuts for even suggesting they paint.

I like the idea of restricting colors. Maybe that will help them narrow their vision. Giving a Bear too many choices isn't good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 04:01 pm
Give him a picture of a polar bear in the snow and tell him he can only use the colors in the picture. (Many more colors than you might think, but still somewhat limited.)

Great suggestions from Vivien, who KNOWS this stuff...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:53 am
squinney wrote:
My family is not cooperating.

So far, I have done one canvas, and my daughter painted the entire surface of hers solid black, then stopped. Shocked

Laughing I hope you manage it - it would be great. mmmm - shades of black???? deep deep purples, reds and greens? could be interesting if you can persuade her back to it.

are you going to show us the results?
0 Replies