Dems Expect to take back House

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:39 am
Confident Democrats Lay Out Agenda
Party Plans Probes Of Administration If It Wins the House

By Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 7, 2006; A01

Democratic leaders, increasingly confident they will seize control of the House in November, are laying plans for a legislative blitz during their first week in power that would raise the minimum wage, roll back parts of the Republican prescription drug law, implement homeland security measures and reinstate lapsed budget deficit controls.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) said in an interview last week that a Democratic House would launch a series of investigations of the Bush administration, beginning with the White House's first-term energy task force and probably including the use of intelligence in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq. Pelosi denied Republican allegations that a Democratic House would move quickly to impeach President Bush. But, she said of the planned investigations, "You never know where it leads to."
http://www.rawstory.com/showarticle.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fwp-dyn%2Fcontent%2Farticle%2F2006%2F05%2F06%2FAR2006050601336_pf.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 631 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:48 am
I expect a war or terrorist incident or something war on terra related to mysteriously happen close to election time myself.... also look for a huge scandal to be uncovered miraculously involving high level democrats... a scandal that will have nothing to do with policy or political performance but rather something to do with "personal character" or right to life or some such ****.... something that will really stir up the midwesterners who get their news from the Focus On The Family inserts in the Sunday morning church bulletin.....
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:04 am
I heard that ad nauseum in the '04 election. The only ones who tried such tactics, of course, were the Dems. (Rathergate, anyone?)

Pelosi's an idiot.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:29 am
I wouldn't make much of this. Ask any coach right before the big game and he'll tell you his team is at the peak of its game and he's confident it will emerge victorious.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:32 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
also look for a huge scandal to be uncovered miraculously involving high level democrats... a scandal that will have nothing to do with policy or political performance but rather something to do with "personal character" or right to life or some such ****.... something that will really stir up the midwesterners who get their news from the Focus On The Family inserts in the Sunday morning church bulletin.....

Patrick Kennedy (D, RI) nephew of the senator has been in the news this week for drug abuse. This may be sufficient.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:25 am
Democratic National Committee to sue Secret Service for records in Abramoff lobbying scandal

John Byrne
Published: Monday May 8, 2006

The Democratic National Committee will file suit against the Secret Service today in an effort to obtain entry and exit logs for several prominent figures in the Abramoff lobbying scandal, RAW STORY has learned.

Jack A. Abramoff, once Washington's richest lobbyist, fell victim to his own success after a federal investigation uncovered widespread fraud and influence peddling by him and his aides among senior Republican members of Congress. Democrats have tried, with limited success, to pin the scandal on Republicans as part of a 2006 election strategy.

Following the successful prosecution of the Secret Service for Abramoff's files by the conservative legal watchdog group Judicial Watch, the DNC is suing to obtain records for Grover Norquist; a personal friend of Abramoff who arranged visits between Indian tribal leaders and President Bush; Patrick Pizella, an undersecretary of labor who worked on Abramoff's lobbying team until he was appointed by President Bush; and Ralph Reed, an Abramoff friend and former Christian Coalition director who used his religious credentials to provide cover for Abramoff's Indian gaming crusade.

They are also seeking entry and exit records for David Safavian, formerly President Bush's chief procurement officer, who was arrested late last year for allegedly obstructing the Abramoff probe, and Michael Scanlon, Abramoff's business partner, who recently pled guilty to bribing members of Congress and their aides.

The suit will be filed today in the United States District Court in Washington, D.C. Judicial Watch recently won their case to acquire Abramoff's records; it seems likely that the DNC will win this case as well.

The Secret Service has stalled requests for the records, which they must turn over by law under the Freedom of Information Act. RAW STORY has also filed Information Act requests with the Secret Service on Abramoff, Pizzella and Norquist without success.

The DNC first sought the records in January.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:52 am
"House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) said in an interview last week that a Democratic House would launch a series of investigations of the Bush administration, beginning with the White House's first-term energy task force and probably including the use of intelligence in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq. Pelosi denied Republican allegations that a Democratic House would move quickly to impeach President Bush. But, she said of the planned investigations, "You never know where it leads to."

So instead of providing new ideas, bold initiatives, creative techniques to strengthen our society, the FIRST THING ON THEIR MIND is to play the blame game?

And this is something that would make me want to rush out and vote Democratic Party line because..........???????????????
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:55 am
I believe they intend to raise taxes in the guise of reform, kill economic growth and waste millions, if not billions, re-re-investigating things that had results they disagreed with.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:59 am
McGentrix wrote:
I believe they intend to raise taxes in the guise of reform, kill economic growth and waste millions, if not billions, re-re-investigating things that had results they disagreed with.

You mean like Kenneth Starr? Laughing
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:00 am
McGentrix wrote:

Hard to know WHAT they believe in based upon the article. The olny thing for sure is they believe they need to blame someone for problems that THEY HELPED CAUSE!!!

So this is a party to trust with your Government (that does not mean the Repugs are a better choice)?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:10 am
Woiyo, the strongest and boldest thing that can be done to improve our country is to kick out the bums at the top, who are under the opinion that they are not accountable to the American people whatsoever.

It is difficult to imagine that strong reforms can take place under an corrupt leadership, don't you think?

And what do you want the dems to do?

They proposed completely reforming Lobbying regulations, banning travel, gifts, and other methods of bribery; Republicans killed that proposal.

They proposed ending Federal Subsidies to Big Oil, to the tune of 25 billion dollars; Republicans killed that proposal, too.

They proposed increasing subsidies for Renewable Energy research and Hybrid cars; Republicans also have killed that proposal.

They proposed changing our leadership in Iraq (can't undo the war, but at least we can get the bums out who are screwing it up); Republicans killed that proposal.

They proposed ending the tax cuts for the Rich which have lead to our present gigantic Defecit and Debt; Republicans are trying to kill that proposal.

The idea that the Dems aren't trying to change things in Washington is pure, 100% bullshit. They just haven't been able to break the lock the Republicans have on the system.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:39 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Woiyo, the strongest and boldest thing that can be done to improve our country is to kick out the bums at the top, who are under the opinion that they are not accountable to the American people whatsoever.

It is difficult to imagine that strong reforms can take place under an corrupt leadership, don't you think?

And what do you want the dems to do?

They proposed completely reforming Lobbying regulations, banning travel, gifts, and other methods of bribery; Republicans killed that proposal.

Their "reform" idea was no better than what crap we have now. How about ELIMINATE ALL LOBBIESTS?

They proposed ending Federal Subsidies to Big Oil, to the tune of 25 billion dollars; Republicans killed that proposal, too.

BUNK! They also want to re-invent a windfall profit tax. WRONG WAY TO GO!

They proposed increasing subsidies for Renewable Energy research and Hybrid cars; Republicans also have killed that proposal.

If the "present" subsidies do not work, why would more subsidies work? This is the same as a tax break!

They proposed changing our leadership in Iraq (can't undo the war, but at least we can get the bums out who are screwing it up); Republicans killed that proposal.

No they did not. Anyway how do you change leadership without a war? Just ask?

They proposed ending the tax cuts for the Rich which have lead to our present gigantic Defecit and Debt; Republicans are trying to kill that proposal.

Really? Some Dems still support repeal of the Estate Tax. All Dems have said NOTHING about tax relief for the middle class.

The idea that the Dems aren't trying to change things in Washington is pure, 100% bullshit. They just haven't been able to break the lock the Republicans have on the system.

Cycloptichorn

They need to tell us specificlly:

1) What is their exit stratagy in Iraq and their long term plans for the region.

2) What is their short and long term policy on immigration reform.

3) What is their long and short term plan for Tax relief and spending cuts.

4) What is their long and short term plan for energy/oil relief.

These items certainly were not discussed in the article by Bella Pelosi nor do I think she has the ability to initiate those ideas or communicate them.

This party should be thinking of propping up people like Congressman Ford who seems to be a reasonable and articulate person. Not this old pant load like Bella.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:40 am
When you say short and long term strategy for tax relief, one assumes you mean that a candidate can only endorse tax cuts.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:43 am
Setanta wrote:
When you say short and long term strategy for tax relief, one assumes you mean that a candidate can only endorse tax cuts.

Correct. It is my position that all citizens are taxed too much. Therefore, I can only support tax cuts.
There is no compelling reason to raise taxes when much of our present cash flow is wasted by this Govt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:48 am
I disagree. I consider that the highest income brackets don't pay enough tax. I consider that capital gains should be taxed as is any other form of income. That the government wastes money is no reason to mortgage the financial future of coming generations. Government waste and pork barrel projects are an entirely separate issue from taxation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:59 am
Woiyo,

Just because you don't agree with the policies, doesn't mean the Dems aren't proposing them. Your original argument was that Dems need to be proposing something other than just 'investigating Bush.' They do this constantly, yet you claim that they don't propose new ideas because you disagree with the ideas that they do propose. This doesn't make a lick of sense.

Quote:
Their "reform" idea was no better than what crap we have now. How about ELIMINATE ALL LOBBIESTS?

Lobbying isn't against the law. To eliminate all lobbyists would require a significant re-write of American law, because they have as much of a right to free speech as anyone else.

Since we can't simply tell these lobbyists that they cannot have a job anymore (where would anyone derive the right to do this?), the best course of action is to reduce their influence, to neuter them, by taking away their powers of bribery: gifts, trips, dinners, vacations labelled as 'fact-finding' missions, special access to Congressional bills before they are written, etc. The Dems proposed all of these things, the Republicans shot them all down, because they are completely beholden to lobbyists and their money.

Quote:
BUNK! They also want to re-invent a windfall profit tax. WRONG WAY TO GO!

Incorrect. It is not bunk that the Dems proposed rolling back the tax breaks for oil companies, nor that the Republicans blocked such a measure. It is only correct that you disagree with this plan, not that the plan was proposed, which was your original argument.

Quote:
If the "present" subsidies do not work, why would more subsidies work? This is the same as a tax break!

Yes, and big oil gets huge 'tax breaks' in the form of Federal subsidies, in order to expand business and search for new sources of oil.

Why should this be any different than Environmentally friendly power generation sources? Why is a subsidy for an oil company (which allows them to keep prices lower than Renewable energy) the way to go, but it's a 'tax break' when applied to Renewable energy? I call BS.

Quote:
No they did not. Anyway how do you change leadership without a war? Just ask?

Sure they did. Once again, you are ignoring reality, in which Dems have consistently called for Rumsfeld to step down, for those responsible for Torture and Rendition to step down, for Guantanamo Bay to be closed or at least placed under new management.

The Dems can't make the war end overnight, but they can try to get those who have screwed it up so badly out of the chair of command. Republicans have blocked these efforts. You are 100% wrong on this one.

Quote:
Really? Some Dems still support repeal of the Estate Tax. All Dems have said NOTHING about tax relief for the middle class.

Once again, you disagree with the reality of the situation; the vast majority of dems have called for the continuation of the Estate tax and for increased taxes upon the rich. The fact that Lieberman or a couple of Dems have supported the repeal of the Estate Tax does not mean that the official Dem position is for it. You are also 100% wrong here, and go on to conflate the issue of the Estate Tax with tax reform for the middle class.

Quote:
They need to tell us specificlly:

1) What is their exit stratagy in Iraq and their long term plans for the region.

2) What is their short and long term policy on immigration reform.

3) What is their long and short term plan for Tax relief and spending cuts.

4) What is their long and short term plan for energy/oil relief.

http://www.dnc.org/agenda.html

Perhaps you could actually try reading what they have proposed, instead of claiming that they haven't proposed anything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:59 am
Setanta wrote:
I disagree. I consider that the highest income brackets don't pay enough tax. I consider that capital gains should be taxed as is any other form of income. That the government wastes money is no reason to mortgage the financial future of coming generations. Government waste and pork barrel projects are an entirely separate issue from taxation.

OK. We can disagree in income tax rates forthe upper class. I do however, support keeping the Estate Tax at or close to it's current level. So I suspect, you would agree with at least keeping the Estate TAx.

With respect to capital gains, I do agree with the opinion that a lower CG rates spurs investment, but I understand your position.

Govt waste has a DIRECT impact on taxes (let's include fraud in the waste catagory for this discussion). Yet, this could be argued in another thread.

The Democrats have not demonstrated they are superior than the repugs in this area. At least not from what I read in this post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:05 pm
There is no evidence that reduction in the capital gains tax spurs investment, except to the negligible extent that there is a little more money to be invested--not a great deal. Those who rely upon investment income will invest without regard to the tax rate--they're not going to cut their own throats financially in some sort of quixotic protest against a capital gains tax. A reduction in the capital gains tax was a centerpiece of Reagans policy, which his Veep rightly declared voodoo economics during the primary. No evidence from the 1980s confirms that a reduction in the capital gains tax increases investment. Quite apart from that, there is the issue of equity. Those who earn their income from labor did not earn that income in any less noble or praiseworthy a manner than those who earn it from capital gains. In addition, investment income benefits from the quality of all aspects of governance, and one could philosophically make the case that the wealthy owe more to the society, as the efficiency of government creates the environment in which they are able to become wealthy.

Frankly, i stayed out of the thread until now because i think it is just another fantasy exercise of the thread's author. The power of incumbancy is such that i doubt that the complexion of the House will change much. Without regard to the Party to which they belong, i could think of nothing better than that all the SOBs were turned out.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:36 pm
New York Times: Democrats Debate Their Identity

RAW STORY
Published: Monday May 8, 2006

The New York Times is set to report on a debate going on within the Democratic Party on "how to sharpen the party's identity and present a clear alternative to the conservatism that has been dominating political thought for a generation," RAW STORY has learned.

According to the Times, "Many of these analysts, both liberals and moderates, are convinced that the Democrats face a moment of historic opportunity. They say that the country is weary of war and division and ready -- if given a compelling choice -- to reject the Republicans and change the country's direction. They argue that the Democratic Party is, in many ways, showing signs of new health: intense party discipline on Capitol Hill, a raft of policy proposals and an energized base."

The article focuses on the voices within the party that are urging it to move beyond tactical, consultant-dirven policy positions and look towards a broad new vision of society and an appeal to the common good. It speaks in particular of "bloggers who are demanding that the party become more assertive in fighting for what it believes in," citing the book "Crashing the Gate," co-authored by Markos Moulitsas, founder of the blog "Daily Kos."

According to the Times, "This discussion of first principles and big goals marks a psychological shift for many in the party; a frequent theme is that Democrats must stop being afraid, stop worrying that their core beliefs are out of step with the zeitgeist, stop ceding so much ground to conservatives."
0 Replies