CIA Director Resigns Suddenly: Sex Scandal ???

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:10 pm
CIA Director Porter Goss has resigned his post

RAW STORY
Published: Friday May 5, 2006

Print This | Email This

AP BREAKING

CIA Director Porter Goss has resigned, President Bush said Friday. No explanation was made.

Bush called Goss' tenure one of transition.

"He has led ably," Bush said from the Oval Office. "He has a five-year plan to increase the analysts and operatives."

Bush said that Goss, a former member of Congress, has "helped make this country a safer place."

"We've got to win the war on terror," Bush said.

Said Goss: "I would like to report to you that the agency (CIA) is back on a very even keel and sailing well."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 634 • Replies: 11
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:12 pm
CIA's Goss Drawn Into Hooker Probe?
By Justin Rood - April 27, 2006, 7:23 PM
Ken Silverstein reports at Harper's blog on the spreading Cunningham-Wade-Wilkes prostitute scandal. He says more lawmakers, past and present, are being investigated. Sounds like he thinks House Intel Chair-turned-CIA Director Porter Goss is one of them:

I've learned from a highly-connected source that those under intense scrutiny by the FBI are current and former lawmakers on Defense and Intelligence comittees -- including one person who now holds a powerful intelligence post. [emphasis added]
Yowzah.

Actually, make that a double-yowzah: Remember that Goss is the one who plucked one of Wilkes' old San Diego friends, the unusual and colorful Kyle "Dusty" Foggo, out of CIA middle-management obscurity to be his #3 at the agency. At the time of Foggo's appointment, no one could figure out where he came from, or how Goss knew him.

But if Goss was at the "parties," I wonder, was Foggo there too? Did they see each other? Is this where Goss had an opportunity to gauge Foggo's abilities, and determine he was qualified for the CIA executive director post?
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/000494.php
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:58 pm
Yet another scandal!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:11 pm
Goss: Claims I Partied With Wilkes Are "Flatly Untrue," "Horribly Irresponsible"
By Justin Rood - April 28, 2006, 4:22 PM
I called the CIA this morning to get their reaction to Ken Silverstein's piece in Harper's that seems to put Goss in the poker-and-more parties thrown by Brent Wilkes. The parties were held in the Watergate and Westin Grand hotels -- and a third hotel, I'm hearing, which hasn't been reported yet -- as well as at the house of Kyle "Dusty" Foggo, a longtime friend of Wilkes' who is now #3 at the CIA.

After a long series of off-the-record phone calls with CIA spokespeople, I was finally given an on-the-record comment -- about Goss. Speaking on behalf of the director, CIA spokeswoman Jennifer Millerwise Dyck said, "This is horribly irresponsible. He hasn't even been to the Watergate in decades."

When I asked if Goss had attended Wilkes' parties at the Westin or other locations, Millerwise Dyck repeated the denial. "It's horribly irresponsible. Flatly untrue."

She declined to answer questions about Foggo, but promised another spokesperson would call me and take my questions.

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/000505.php
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:31 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
CIA's Goss Drawn Into Hooker Probe?
By Justin Rood - April 27, 2006, 7:23 PM
Ken Silverstein reports at Harper's blog on the spreading Cunningham-Wade-Wilkes prostitute scandal. He says more lawmakers, past and present, are being investigated. Sounds like he thinks House Intel Chair-turned-CIA Director Porter Goss is one of them:

I've learned from a highly-connected source that those under intense scrutiny by the FBI are current and former lawmakers on Defense and Intelligence comittees -- including one person who now holds a powerful intelligence post. [emphasis added]
Yowzah.

Actually, make that a double-yowzah: Remember that Goss is the one who plucked one of Wilkes' old San Diego friends, the unusual and colorful Kyle "Dusty" Foggo, out of CIA middle-management obscurity to be his #3 at the agency. At the time of Foggo's appointment, no one could figure out where he came from, or how Goss knew him.

But if Goss was at the "parties," I wonder, was Foggo there too? Did they see each other? Is this where Goss had an opportunity to gauge Foggo's abilities, and determine he was qualified for the CIA executive director post?
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/000494.php

Something DEFINITELY smells! Bush at 25%! How low can he go?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:38 pm
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 10:03 am
blueflame
While I certainly won't be saddened to see Dubya and his administration get the hell out of town come 08................You've got to admit they've certainly been entertaining (unfortunately at the cost of American lives) And the entertainment just keeps getting better.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 10:09 am
rodeman, "(unfortunately at the cost of American lives)". Yeah and a lot of Iraqi lives. Not to mention the cost to other coalition forces.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 12:02 pm
Didja'all notice that this story came out on Friday under the cover of a "juicy" Kennedy-needs-drug-rehab cover?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 06:14 am
I am glad that one more Bush man is gone, but on the other hand look who will probably be replacing him.

Gen. Hayden: "4th Amendment and wrong"

Quote:
Knight-Ridder's Jonathan Landay questioned Gen. Michael Hayden at the National Press Club in January:

Landay: "...the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution specifies that you must have probable cause to violate an American's right against unreasonable searches and seizures..."

Gen. Hayden: "No, actually - the Fourth Amendment actually protects all of us against unreasonable search and seizure."

Landay: "But the --"

Gen. Hayden: "That's what it says."

Landay: "The legal measure is probable cause, it says."

Gen. Hayden: "The Amendment says: unreasonable search and seizure."

Landay: "But does it not say 'probable cause'?"

Gen. Hayden [exasperated, scowling]: "No! The Amendment says unreasonable search and seizure."

Landay: "The legal standard is probable cause, General -- "

Gen. Hayden [indignant]: "Just to be very clear ... mmkay... and believe me, if there's any Amendment to the Constitution that employees of the National Security Agency are familiar with, it's the Fourth. Alright? And it is a reasonableness standard in the Fourth Amendment. The constitutional standard is 'reasonable'" ( h/t Dale)

which Keith says:

OLBERMANN: To quote the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States in its entirety, the one the general and the NSA folks are so familiar with and know is about reasonableness and not about probable cause, quote, "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Well, maybe they have a different Constitution over there at the NSA.

This also helped to open the door for Glenn Greenwald to expose them on FISA. "In other words, DeWine's bill, had it become law, would have eliminated the "probable cause" barrier (at least for non-U.S. persons) which the Administration is now pointing to as the reason why it had to circumvent FISA...read on"

Updates from today:

Glenn: Having said that, it is highly illustrative of this administration's mindset that they believe that the best candidate to direct the CIA is the individual who oversaw and vigorously defended the administration's illegal eavesdropping on American citizens. Isn't he the last person who ought to be put in that position?

Until Bush and Cheney leave it really don't matter who is in what position, they will all have the same idealogy and way of doing things.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:43 pm
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 02:12 pm
Do you really think it'll matter who is the next director of the CIA? He'll be a pick of the neocon machine, whether a military man or civilian...
0 Replies