Rove's Unexplained Personal Wealth

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 09:54 am
There are simply too many links in this well-researched piece for me to cut and paste here:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/5/2/10177/11404

In summary: Rove seems to have quite a bit of unexplained personal wealth. He also sold his house for somewhat more than market value - 500 grand more than the market value.

Given that sales of homes/yachts at a higher rate than normal led to the recent Duke Cunningham investigation, will Rove be in hot water for this as well as his role in the Outing of Valerie Plame (who, by the way, was working against WMD proliferation in Iran at the time)?

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 589 • Replies: 10
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:14 pm
I'm always willing to believe the worst about Karl Rove, but the emphasis on the B&B sale seems misplaced. He sold the business of the B&B, not just the house. I assume that would include furnishings (antiques or not) and all the other things that go with the actual business. Website? Reservations system? Advertising? Not saying he still didn't possibly make more profit than he should have, just that you can't figure that profit out by comparing the sales price to the value of the property because what he sold was more than just the property.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:22 pm
I agree FD; but buying houses/property/business for much more than their market value has been a sign of bribery and kickbacks in the past in politics, and bears further investigation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:31 pm
I totally agree with that. It's just that, in this case, it isn't all that clear that that is what took place.
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:34 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I agree FD; but buying houses/property/business for much more than their market value has been a sign of bribery and kickbacks in the past in politics, and bears further investigation.

Cycloptichorn

Google Randy "Duke" Cunningham.

That's all I gots to say about it. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:41 pm
Of course you think it bears further investigation. Rove is a threat to the Dems and all you non-conservatives (that is the label I have chosen for you now) fear his political abilities.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:44 pm
Sure we do. He is a master of every dirty and underhanded trick there is for winning an election. A true scumbag.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:49 pm
Yes, it truly does bring a tear to my eye.

Glad he is on my side.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:37 pm
You know that old saying, when you lie with scumbags you get... oh, nevermind.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:29 am
I read enough of the article to get the general picture.

Quite clear that Rove is being taken care of - financially. And has been for some time. Why would anyone want to pay in excess of fair market value. For starters, they could then resell at a loss to them and have a loss to offset taxes or capital gains on other deals. Banks do it all the time. Losses aren't always that bad.

It is a small network of good ole folks in Republican Texas, or any locality. If you have money, or form a consortium of similarly-minded people, it wouldn't be very painful to support the cause to help "take care of" a biggie who has potentially given up big money to take a lousy civil servant's salary.

I wouldn't believe a thing that his sister said.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:36 am
From the article, "In fact, during Bush's re-election run for governor, Karl Rove & Co (the company) was receiving nearly 1/5 of the re-election campaign's budget:

Since Bush payments to Rove's company constituted nearly one-fifth of his entire $14 million [governor's re-elect] campaign budget in the recent election, it's understandable that both men wanted to avoid any of the obvious "conflict of interest" questions that might be forthcoming from future big bucks contributors. Any possible concern they have could be based on what may be a trend in politics: the man running for office gets the bucks and passes on the cash to companies owned by members of the candidate's campaign team."
0 Replies