username

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:28 pm
The truth hurts, doesn't it, George?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:45 pm
He looks like he is going to blow to me

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2006/05/01/colbert/cover.jpg

But I understand Bush's sense of humor is the talking point today.

Colbert Was Funny And Dead-On, Except To Those He Was Targeting
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:12 pm
So I watched the spiel and my take is that I liked it because it was political and I don't mind lampooning President Bush, but if I stepped back, it wasn't really all that funny. It's like when I compare the comic strips Doonesbury and Mallard Fillmore. Doonesbury is political and funny. Even when I don't agree with the politics, it's still funny. Mallard is political. It is almost never funny. If you agree with the politics, you like it. If you're looking for a good laugh or a sharp wit, you're in the wrong place. I think Colbert was more Mallard than Doonesbury.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:24 pm
McGentrix - unbelievable. totally predictable, but unbefrikkin lievable.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:29 pm
snood wrote:
McGentrix - unbelievable. totally predictable, but unbefrikkin lievable.

Don't you know? Bush pinches his lips together, flares his nostrils, grinds his teeth, and glares whenever someone makes him laugh....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:40 pm
I just wonder if some of these guys even know how sold out they are...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:49 pm
I was channel surfing and tuned in just as Colbert was beginning. I thought it was funny, but much too long. Laura bolted immediately afterwards, GW wasn't far behind.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:53 pm
Funny, I watched the whole clip over at crooksand liars today. How do you figure he was. how did you put it? "pinches his lips together, flares his nostrils, grinds his teeth, and glares"

Colbert was the last presenter. No one is allowed to leave until the president leaves (secret Service and all that.) I assume you heard the announcement right after Colbert was finished, right?

More ado about nothing from the typical much adoers.

Snood is right though... you guys are totally predictable. But, not so unbelievable.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:05 pm
Tico, Bushie was entirely predictable leaving in a huff. Maybe that's why Colbert went on so long with Helen Thomas. I thought his piece was as much praise for Helen as it was a truth telling on Bushie. Colbert got what he wanted from Bushie. "He's got that look that he's ready to blow." hahaha.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:18 pm
Hey, this is worthwhile, anyone posted this link yet?

The Colbert Blackout

Not because it adds the x'th column re the "Colbert blackout" - but because it neatly summarises and links in what all's been written and said about it in the different newspapers and other media. Very practical!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:25 pm
http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2006/05/01/colbert/cover.jpg

Clearly a man that is about to burst into laughter at any minute.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:30 pm
That is good, nimh, thanks!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:31 pm
If you watched the clip, you would see that he does.

I don't blame you though for only regurgitating what your fellow non-conservatives tell you though. It's better to think Bush was insulted somehow by a comedian. It makes him seem less human that way.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:35 pm
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/5/2/11532/98245

Quote:
Stephen Colbert was not funny.

Helen Thomas is old and batty.
Mexicans are taking our jobs.
Iraq sent its WMDs to Syria.
Democrats don't want to wiretap terrorists.
Joe Wilson admitted that Valerie Plame wasn't covert.
Karl Rove has a faulty memory.
Scooter Libby has a faulty memory.
Tom DeLay is like Jesus Christ.
No one could have anticipated that the levees would be breached.
We do not torture.
There is no global warming.
There is global warming, but humans didn't cause it.
Howard Dean can't raise money.
John F. Kerry is a flip-flopper.
George W. Bush is a decider.
John McCain is a straight-shooter.
Dick Cheney is a sober shooter.
Nobody at the White House knows Jack Abramoff.
Democrats do.
The economy is great.
Evolution isn't supported by the facts.
Diebold voting machines are secure.
Fox News is fair and balanced.
Mission accomplished.
Bill Clinton did it too.
No one could have anticipated the Iraqi insurgency.
The budget deficit will be cut in half in four years.
Anyone who thinks Dubai shouldn't control our ports is racist.
No one who thinks we should build a wall along the Mexican border is racist.
George Allen isn't a racist... anymore.
Terry Schiavo wants to live.
Andrea Clark wants to die.
We've turned a corner in Iraq.
There's a war on Christmas.
There's a war on Easter.
There's no civil war in Iraq.
The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.
Up is down.
Black is white.

In Republicanville, everything is hunky dory these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:00 pm
Cyclo, that one is absolutely hilarious! Cool

Re: the "Mission accomplished" one, this quote from Monday's press briefing with Scott McClellan is also in the link I gave above, and seems in place on this thread, especially after that post of yours...

What can we say, reality is more astounding than what we could come up with.

Quote:
"Q I'm asking you, based on a reporter's curiosity, could he stand under a sign again that says, 'Mission Accomplished'?

"MR. McCLELLAN: Now, Peter, Democrats have tried to raise this issue, and, like I said, misrepresenting and distorting the past --

"Q This is not --

"MR. McCLELLAN: -- which is what they're doing, does nothing to advance the goal of victory in Iraq.

"Q I mean, it's a historical fact that we're all taking notice of --

"MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I think the focus ought to be on achieving victory in Iraq and the progress that's being made, and that's where it is. And you know exactly the Democrats are trying to distort the past.

"Q Let me ask it another way: Has the mission been accomplished?

"MR. McCLELLAN: Next question.

"Q Has the mission been accomplished?

"MR. McCLELLAN: We're on the way to accomplishing the mission and achieving victory."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:17 pm
nimh wrote:
Cyclo, that one is absolutely hilarious! Cool

Re: the "Mission accomplished" one, this quote from Monday's press briefing with Scott McClellan is also in the link I gave above, and seems in place on this thread, especially after that post of yours...

What can we say, reality is more astounding than what we could come up with.

Quote:
"Q I'm asking you, based on a reporter's curiosity, could he stand under a sign again that says, 'Mission Accomplished'?

"MR. McCLELLAN: Now, Peter, Democrats have tried to raise this issue, and, like I said, misrepresenting and distorting the past --

"Q This is not --

"MR. McCLELLAN: -- which is what they're doing, does nothing to advance the goal of victory in Iraq.

"Q I mean, it's a historical fact that we're all taking notice of --

"MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I think the focus ought to be on achieving victory in Iraq and the progress that's being made, and that's where it is. And you know exactly the Democrats are trying to distort the past.

"Q Let me ask it another way: Has the mission been accomplished?

"MR. McCLELLAN: Next question.

"Q Has the mission been accomplished?

"MR. McCLELLAN: We're on the way to accomplishing the mission and achieving victory."

Nothing beats their actual, double think, awful words for black, black humour.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:39 am
Walsh is on the mark. link

Quote:
Making Colbert go away
The docile press corps was offended when Stephen Colbert dared to expose Bush's -- and their own -- feet of clay. But how to respond? VoilĂ : "He wasn't funny."

By Joan Walsh

May 3, 2006 | The only thing worse than the mainstream media's ignoring Stephen Colbert's astonishing sendup of the Bush administration and its media courtiers Saturday night is what happened when they started to pay attention to it.

The resounding silence on Sunday and Monday was a little chilling. The video was burning up YouTube, and Salon hit overall traffic heights over the last few days surpassed only by our election coverage and Abu Ghraib blockbusters. But on Monday, Elisabeth Bumiller's New York Times piece on the White House Correspondents' Association dinner kvelled over the naughty Bush twin skit but didn't mention Colbert. Similarly, other papers either ignored the Comedy Central satirist or mentioned him briefly. Lloyd Grove in the New York Daily News pronounced that he had "bombed badly."

Three days later, the MSM is catching on to Grove's tin-eared take on Colbert's performance. Belatedly, it's getting covered, but the dreary consensus is that Colbert just wasn't funny. On Tuesday night, Salon's Michael Scherer, whose tribute to Colbert is everywhere on the blogosphere (thank you, Thank you Stephen Colbert), got invited to chat with Joe Scarborough and Ana Marie Cox, who showed themselves to be pathetic prisoners of the Beltway by passing along the midweek conventional wisdom: The lefty blogosphere can argue all it wants that Colbert was ignored because he was shocking and politically radical, but the truth is, he wasn't funny, guys! And we know funny!

Regular Joe told us he normally races home to watch Colbert. So the problem isn't Joe's conservatism -- Joe's a congenial conservative, a fun-loving conservative, which is why he has Salon folks on all the time (thanks, Joe!). Cox showed why she's the MSM's official blogger by splitting the difference. She pronounced Colbert's performance "fine" but giggled at the left for its paranoia that he'd been ignored for political reasons. Cox and Scarborough mostly just congratulated themselves on being smart enough to get Colbert every night at 11:30, but savvy enough to know he wasn't completely on his game last Saturday. They barely let Scherer speak.

Similarly, the sometimes smart Jacques Steinberg must have drawn the short straw at the New York Times, where there had to be some internal conversation about the paper's utter failure to even mention Colbert on Monday. After all, his sharpest jokes involved the paper's laudable NSA spying scoop, and a funny bit where Colbert offered to bump columnist Frank Rich if Bush would appear on his show Tuesday night -- and not just bump him for the night, but bump him off. How could the Times not notice?

In Wednesday's paper, Steinberg wrote about Colbert's performance with the angle that it's become "one of the most hotly debated topics in the politically charged blogosphere" -- and only quotes Gawker as an example. He also wanders into the land of comedy criticism to explore the assertion that Colbert wasn't funny, but quotes not a comic, but New Republic writer Noam Scheiber. Scheiber (who has contributed to Salon) takes a liberal version of the Scarborough approach. "I'm a big Stephen Colbert fan, a huge Bush detractor, and I think the White House press corps has been out to lunch for much of the last five years," he wrote on the magazine's Web site. "I laughed out loud maybe twice during Colbert's entire 20-odd minute routine. Colbert's problem, blogosphere conspiracy theories notwithstanding, is that he just wasn't very entertaining." Chris Lehman makes the same point in the New York Observer, arguing it was a comic mistake for Colbert to fail to break character.

It's silly to debate whether Colbert was entertaining or not, since what's "funny" is so subjective. In fact, let's even give Colbert's critics that point. Clearly he didn't entertain most of the folks at the dinner Saturday night, so maybe Scheiber's right -- he wasn't "entertaining." The question is why. If Colbert came off as "shrill and airless," in Lehman's words, inside the cozy terrarium of media self-congratulation at the Washington Hilton, that tells us more about the audience than it does about Colbert.

Colbert's deadly performance did more than reveal, with devastating clarity, how Bush's well-oiled myth machine works. It exposed the mainstream press' pathetic collusion with an administration that has treated it -- and the truth -- with contempt from the moment it took office. Intimidated, coddled, fearful of violating propriety, the press corps that for years dutifully repeated Bush talking points was stunned and horrified when someone dared to reveal that the media emperor had no clothes. Colbert refused to play his dutiful, toothless part in the White House correspondents dinner -- an incestuous, backslapping ritual that should be retired. For that, he had to be marginalized. VoilĂ : "He wasn't funny."

This is a battle that can't really be won -- you either got it Saturday night (or Sunday morning, or whenever your life was made a little brighter by viewing Colbert's performance) or you didn't. Personally, I'm enjoying watching apologists for the status quo wear themselves out explaining why Colbert wasn't funny. It's extending the reach of his performance by days without either side breaking character -- the mighty Colbert or the clueless, self-important media elite he was satirizing. For those who think the media shamed itself by rolling over for this administration, especially in the run-up to the Iraq war, Colbert's skit is the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you, Stephen Colbert!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:56 am
I guess he could have just got up there and started looking around for lost WMD while our troops and Iraqis are dying, then they would have thought it was funny.

Judging from the expression on Bush's face and the media pundits reaction to Colbert (which I have read), he must of struck a nerve. For that alone he deserves an award, funny or not.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:34 am
Cohen, 'Wash Post' Columnist, Says Colbert was 'Rude' and a 'Bully'

Greg Mitchell / Editor And Publisher | May 4 2006

Related: Colbert Reaction Shows Media Are Frightened Of Bush

NEW YORK Richard Cohen, in his Thursday column for The Washington Post, lets readers know right at the outset that he has been known as "a funny guy" since way back in elementary school.

So they should listen up when he weighs in on the controversy surrounding Stephen Colbert's routine at he White House Correspondents Dinner on Saturday by declaring that Colbert was "not funny." In fact, he was "lame and insulting."

Then Cohen, who watched the event on TV, goes on to assert:

--Colbert was "rude." He took advantage of President Bush's "sense of decorum" and "civility" that kept the president from "rising in a huff and leaving."

--Actually, Colbert was "more than rude. He was a bully."

--Colbert used a "mixed metaphor" in suggesting that the administration has been "re-arranging the deck chairs on the Hindenberg."

--He showed no courage because in this country when you openly criticize the president you don't get tossed "into a dungeon" or lose your job.

--Self-mockery (presumably as displayed by Bush on Saturday) "can be funny" but mockery "that is insulting is not."

--Colbert, rather than illuminating the president and the Washington insiders, merely played to the "like-minded" while "alienating all the others."

If that's not enough, Cohen also took a shot at the White House Correspondents Assocation, claiming that if presidents stopped attending their gala dinners, "the organization would have to transform itself into a burial association."

With Cohen coming out of the closet as a self-professed funny man, perhaps he will now claim that he only joking when he famously wrote, a little more than three years ago, that Iraq "without a doubt" had weapons of destruction, adding. "Only a fool -- or possibly a Frenchman -- could conclude otherwise."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:01 am
With all this criticism of Colbert, Lou Dobbs claims that maybe the liberal media bias is to blame of why Colbert is not getting more criticism. It makes as much sense as most of the media complaining about liberal media bias.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200605030008
0 Replies