Spitting baby

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:59 am
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for my 5 month old baby to spit in everyones faces and what can I do to make her stop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,151 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:42 am
Hi tinatina,

Welcome to A2K!

Can you tell us more about when this happens and how it happens? Like, is it typical baby "spit-up" (gross stinky milk-mixture) or actual spit (clear stuff)? Does it happen at certain times, and if so, when?

At five months old a baby isn't doing anything to be mean -- but she may be enjoying the entertaining reactions! Laughing Lacking other info, that's what I'd start with -- just calmly and quietly clean up and say "no" or something. Don't make a big production out of it.

Then focus on prevention, like keeping her to yourself for a while after she's eaten (and doing the calm, quiet clean-up if she spits up). Get a lot of cloth diapers and drape one over your shoulder when she's in prime spit-up mode. Babies just do spit up -- I didn't wear anything dry-clean-only when my daughter was a baby for just that reason. If you're concerned that the spit-up is excessive, talk to your pediatrician.

Good luck!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:43 am
Oh, and are you burping her after she eats? That could be a preventive, if it's not something you do with her regularly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 11:29 am
If your five-month old daughter is giving out raspberries, she's a smart baby. Unfortunately, she's too young for your lectures on Hygiene and Social Couth to sink in.

I'm with Soz. React with disapproval, not with disgust. She spits...the recipient of the spit puts her down immediately.

She'll learn that spitting isn't a sure-fire parlor game.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:49 pm
Agree with Sozobe & Noddy. My now 10-mo old daughter learned v. early to blow raspberries. She did it *all* the time when she'd just figured out how to do it - probably just wanted to explore the newest thing she'd learned and certainly - our laughing responses must have encouraged her. She still does it - mostly when she's getting stressed out and needs some quiet time alone with mom.

Anecdotally: when she was about 8 mos. we were changing planes in a long coast-to-coast air trip. She was in my arms while we were boarding and I didn't notice that she'd started blowing raspberries until this girl started giggling loudly. We were standing in line right next to her & her boyfriend's seat and baby's spray had just hit the boyfriend on his bald head. I was mortified and so apologetic - but that sweet fellow just waved it off. He said: your baby just blessed me. It's all good.
0 Replies

LoveMyFamily

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 10:59 am
5 month is too young to understand that spitting is not the right behaviour. 5 month is also very young to try to discipline. Ask her not to do it and do not laugh at it and do not pay much attention. It just might be her way to get some attention. If you ignore she will more than likely drop the habit.
0 Replies