Senate Republicans Seek Taxpayer Rebate Checks for Gas Price

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 03:35 pm
Great, so this is suppossed to bribe us into forgetting the imminent energy crisis? Don't get me wrong, I'll take a gas tax holiday for the summer months, but we need more than drilling in ANWR and conservation to fix this problem. Typical grandstanding as both parties try to look productive heading into November.

Senate Republicans Seek Taxpayer Rebate Checks for Gas Price ReliefSenate Republicans Seek Taxpayer Rebate Checks for Gas Price
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,254 • Replies: 13
No top replies

paull

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 11:13 pm
Both sides are stupid on this, and I think the electorate sees through it. Too bad the beltway is so insulated or the politicians might realise they are walking around with TP on their shoe, panty lines, and butt cracks showing all at once.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:49 am
Re: Senate Republicans Seek Taxpayer Rebate Checks for Gas P
Winthorpe wrote:
Great, so this is suppossed to bribe us into forgetting the imminent energy crisis? Don't get me wrong, I'll take a gas tax holiday for the summer months, but we need more than drilling in ANWR and conservation to fix this problem. Typical grandstanding as both parties try to look productive heading into November.

Senate Republicans Seek Taxpayer Rebate Checks for Gas Price ReliefSenate Republicans Seek Taxpayer Rebate Checks for Gas Price

The only 10 points are the ones sticking out of the heads of any politician who thought this STUPID idea up!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 07:22 am
this is just congressional ky... they are lubing us up so we don't notice how far their bosses at the oil companies are sticking it in us....
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 09:01 am
I have to say, neither party has come up with a truly great (or even very good) idea on this. $100? That won't pay my gas bill for a week at the rate prices keep rising.

I thought America was supposed to be the land of innovation and invention. How about funding a program to come up with a fuel that's renewable and cost effective? If Brazil can become energy independent, why can't we?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 09:11 am
A better idea would be to put a tax cap per gallon of gas instead of a percentage. I am sure they could figure out an appropriate amount and cap the amount that the fed and state govts can charge.

Oil prices go up with demand, nothing can be done about that, but the government can regulate the amount of taxes added per gallon.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:16 am
Lets see.......In Southern Calif that's about 30 gallons of gas or 1.5 fill-ups for me. Yep, that'll solve the problem. Brilliant.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
Yeah, cut back on the taxes, that'll decrease consumption and reduce our energy dependence...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
McGentrix wrote:
A better idea would be to put a tax cap per gallon of gas instead of a percentage. I am sure they could figure out an appropriate amount and cap the amount that the fed and state govts can charge.

Oil prices go up with demand, nothing can be done about that, but the government can regulate the amount of taxes added per gallon.

The federal gas tax is per gallon, not a percentage (right now it's 18.4 cents/gallon). All states also have a per gallon tax on gasoline. Those taxes don't go up when the price of gas goes up (although in Nebraska, North Carolina, and Wisconsin, the gas tax is indexed for inflation).

In addition to per gallon excise taxes, most states charge sales tax on gas purchases, and that tax is on a percentage basis, not on a per gallon basis (those sales taxes are figured on the base price of gasoline, before the federal and state excise taxes are added). The combination of the federal and state excise taxes and the state sales tax gives an "effective tax" for each gallon.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/Fiscal%20Facts/gas-tax-690px.jpg

(calculated as of 8/2005)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
I think they should offer carpooling in their limos. Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:08 am
joefromchicago wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

The federal gas tax is per gallon, not a percentage (right now it's 18.4 cents/gallon). All states also have a per gallon tax on gasoline. Those taxes don't go up when the price of gas goes up (although in Nebraska, North Carolina, and Wisconsin, the gas tax is indexed for inflation).

In addition to per gallon excise taxes, most states charge sales tax on gas purchases, and that tax is on a percentage basis, not on a per gallon basis (those sales taxes are figured on the base price of gasoline, before the federal and state excise taxes are added). The combination of the federal and state excise taxes and the state sales tax gives an "effective tax" for each gallon.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/Fiscal%20Facts/gas-tax-690px.jpg

(calculated as of 8/2005)

Thanks for that Joe, Sales tax was what I was referring to. I have to pay city tax, county tax, state tax and federal tax on every gallon... that can be capped.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 10:20 am
Personally, I think a $100 rebate offered by Congress is insufferable pandering and an insult to our intelligence and I don't care which favored son or which party offers it.

What Congress needs to do is actively make the case that additional oil exploration and production can be done without devastating or even disturbing the environment and see that this happens. The law of supply and demand works every time it is tried.

Further, Congress needs to force a reform of ridiculous environmental policies and requirements that add mega millions or billions to the cost of a new refinery or block construction entirely, and then provide attractive incentives to the oil companies to build new refinery plants and double production. This also can be done without even a blip of negative effect on the environment.

And finally Congress needs to push a reform of fuel formulations and reduce these to a reasonable minimum so that our refineries don't have to cease production every few days to reformulate a shipment to a place that requires its own special formulation.

Once this is accomplished and our fuel supply is stablized and secured, we need to push on with research of alternate fuels toward eventually weaning ourselves off oil altogether within the next quarter century or so.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 10:31 am
Barney Frank was on Bill Maher last night advocating temporary suspension of Federal gasoline taxes. I think this is pandering too.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 10:36 am
McGentrix wrote:

Yeah, they could add a $2 per gallon tax and stop subsidizing people with low self esteem who need to drive SUVs to make up for their insecurities.
0 Replies