Mom’s corpse is my co-pilot

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:15 pm
Mom's corpse is my co-pilot
German nabbed driving body across country to save mortuary transport cost

BERLIN - A 53-year-old German woman who was driving her dead mother across country to save on mortuary transportation costs was fined by police for disturbing a dead person's peace.

"You're not allowed to transport dead people in your private car," said Ralf Schomisch, police spokesman in Koblenz, where the car was found after a tip-off from a mortuary.

"The corpse was on the back seat without a seat belt, which in this case didn't really matter. But it was covered up with clothing. It is a misdemeanor."

He said the woman, who was not identified, was charged with violating burial laws and disturbing a dead person's peace. She would face a modest fine, Schomisch said.

The woman had already driven 450 kilometers (280 miles) after picking up the body from a mortuary in the northern city of Bremerhaven. She wanted to bury her mother, who died of natural causes at age 90, in her hometown, Daun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,710 • Replies: 46
No top replies

xingu

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:58 pm
Quote:
A 53-year-old German woman who was driving her dead mother across country to save on mortuary transportation costs was fined by police for disturbing a dead person's peace.

How do you disturb a dead persons peace? Will they complain if you do?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:24 pm
I read that today too, Reyn! I actually feel really sorry for the lady who just wanted to take mom home to be buried. Kind of ired me that the mortuary tipped off the police.....

Like xingu said....is dead mom really going to complain?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:33 am
I can not believe that is actually a crime.

that is utter bullsh/t

good grief, that poor woman
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:50 am
Please. She should have put the corpse in the trunk like everybody else.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:11 am
Re: Mom's corpse is my co-pilot
Reyn wrote:
"The corpse was on the back seat without a seat belt, which in this case didn't really matter.

That made me laugh out loud.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:12 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Please. She should have put the corpse in the trunk like everybody else.

Are you sure you're not NickFun? Seems like a helpful suggestion that he would come up with.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:27 am
I am but an honest blacksmithn, good and true.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:34 am
I read about this the other day on Reuter's. It certainly is a novel way to save money. I'm not sure what to think about it, though.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:40 am
Personally, I would've strapped her into the passenger seat, so I could ride in the carpool lane.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:52 am
Now that's thinking "outside the box"!

You're going places dude! Laughing
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:52 am
Yep, at 80mph in the carpool lane! Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:01 am
It's all part and parcel of the scam.

Many years ago now, a friend of mine was living in Texas just barely getting by on his good looks and his lack of ambition when his elderly mother came down from Ohio, or some place back East, I don't remember, for a visit.

Well,,, shucks, she died.

What was Woody, yes, that was his name, supposed to do? He had nothing. His mother's 'estate' was going to be held up in probate for a year or so and amounted to next to nothing. Woody's first thought was to take he back to Ohio, but the mortuary wanted $3000.00 just for the transportation. (This is in 1968, you could have flown the old gal to Paris for $3000.00 and I don't mean Paris, Texas.)

Well, he ended up getting some money together and he buried his mom right there in the middle of the Lone Star State.

I don't know what happened after that. I know he felt he couldn't leave her there and that he would have to stay in Texas until he had some means to take her home.

I hope he did.

Joe(Hey, Woody)Nation
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:09 am
I find it strange, people are charged so much MORE money to transport the dead, then they are charged to sometimes buy a car.

3000 for a plane ride?
and she wouldnt even get a good seat?

>sigh<

Most morgues simply cover or bag the body and lay it in the back of a big empty cargo van.
At least , up front , strapped into the seat, they can enjoy the AC..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
I'm going to sit down and fill out a Parent Permission slip, so that after I die my son can make any funeral arrangements that satisfy his soul.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
I'm going to request being driven around for a while in my child's car.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:13 pm
Hey, strap my body over the fender like a dead deer. What'll I care?
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:16 pm
I've always wanted to be an astronaut.. .After I'm dead, shoot me to the moon.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:16 pm
Tie me to the back bumper so I can imitate Indiana Jones.
0 Replies