Mom’s corpse is my co-pilot

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:17 pm
I want to be cremated, my ashes put into tiny 4th of july rockets, and shot out during a party
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:19 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I want to be cremated, my ashes put into tiny 4th of july rockets, and shot out during a party

Honestly, I have been telling my family this for years, since I first heard about it being an option. My justification is so I can bring a smile to my family's faces one last time.
Good call shewolfnm!
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:24 pm
I dont need no justification. Once I'm dead, they can't attack me anymore about my selfish ways, so... Send me to the moon, dammit! You can be as cheapskate as you want... As long as I end up on the moon.
Am I obsessed?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 03:50 pm
I wouldn't mind being interred in a family compost heap--and this idea interests my daughter-in-law.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 04:01 pm
The idea of my being ground up and served for hamburger interests my ex-wife.

I don't think she wants to wait until I've died, though...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 04:35 pm
Blacksmithn--

You married into the House of Atreus? Or is the hamburger intended for dog food rather than for your near and dear?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:14 pm
I don't think she'd care what happens to the end product. It's the grinding up process that intrigues her!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:32 pm
Blacksmithn--

If she rents a chipper-shredder for corpse disposal she'd better wash it out thoroughly before returning it to the rental agency.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:11 pm
Oh, she will! She'd hate to lose her deposit...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
I'm so pleased that this diverse post has become such a topic of discussion. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:57 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
I don't think she'd care what happens to the end product. It's the grinding up process that intrigues her!

Ohh, don't get me started! I know an ex I would love to see ground! And its not my ex!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:07 pm
I found out something rather bizarre a few weeks back. As many of you know, my mom has Stage 4 cancer of her liver, lymph nodes and lungs, secondary to her primary cancer she beat about 3 years ago. Well, I guess in reality she didn't really beat it since it came back later with such a vengeance, but that's getting way off my original post here....

I was talking with mom on the phone and she told me that everything was all arranged. I asked her what she meant by that and she proceeded to say that she told my dad that when she dies, to give her ashes to me and that I would hold them and wait for him and his eventual ashes and then I would keep them both. This way, she said, she knew her and dad would be safe and well cared for and when it came time for me to cash it in, I was to give their ashes to my daughter and so on down the line, like an heirloom or something......is that kinda strange?

I mean, I don't have any problems taking their ashes and all......
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:09 pm
P.S. Hi Reyn!! I'm so happy to see you! Is next month, the big retirement month or has that already happened in my absence?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 05:41 am
Carrying out your "ash inheritance" program a few generations, wouldn't some poor guy/gal be stuck hauling around a few thousand pounds of human ash?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 05:54 am
The Aztecs did that, at least for their kings. When a supreme leader died his body was carefully wrapped and preserved, all of his palaces were kept going, all of his staff and family cared for, and on special occasions the bodies of all the kings were brought forth to be on display, a sort of "This is Your Life" for the total community.

Very nice sentiment, very bad economics.

Joe(How Long? Forever? That's a long time.)Nation
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:52 am
yeah lady j,
that does seem a bit wierd.

though, the idea of having the ashes of an ancestor , a few hundred years later, sounds kinda neat to me.

I dont know where I would want to be in that totem pole of handing down FOR that few hundred years.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:27 am
Lady J wrote:
I was talking with mom on the phone and she told me that everything was all arranged. I asked her what she meant by that and she proceeded to say that she told my dad that when she dies, to give her ashes to me and that I would hold them and wait for him and his eventual ashes and then I would keep them both. This way, she said, she knew her and dad would be safe and well cared for and when it came time for me to cash it in, I was to give their ashes to my daughter and so on down the line, like an heirloom or something......is that kinda strange?

I mean, I don't have any problems taking their ashes and all......

I don't think this is too unusual. My mother is doing something similar.

My father died in 1991 and she has his ashes tucked away. Her wishes are that when she dies, her ashes be scatered with his together.

My wife and I have the same thing in our wills.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:30 am
Lady J wrote:
P.S. Hi Reyn!! I'm so happy to see you! Is next month, the big retirement month or has that already happened in my absence?
Hi, nice to see you, too!

The official event is now 3 days away!

It's been a little anti-climatic because I have been on holidays since just after Christmas. I had saved up all my holidays and other time off to coincide perfectly with my retirement.

I never did have a retirement bash. Maybe I get one here? Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 11:30 am
Lady J--

I think your mother may be a little self-centered here. For starters, suppose your father remarries and his widow takes umbrage at turning his ashes over to you?

Suppose your daughter--or your granddaughter--or your great granddaugher (the last of the line) emigrates to the Moon Colony with strict weight limits.

I can see putting a token bit of ashes in a piece of attractive jewelery, but even this could become a burden rather than a cherished legacy.

Your mother has been sandbagged by cancer and she has no control over her death. She's trying to alleviate her helplessness by making a perpetual provision for her ashes.

Since the request doesn't bother you, fufill her wishes as best you can. If your daughter chooses to carry on, wonderful. If granddaughter doesn't...sobeit. Dead hands have no power unto the second and third generation.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 03:09 pm
Nor do they have much legal weight, either. After a while, provisions for too many generations of doing whatnot are against the Rule Against Perpetuities (don't ask me to explain it, it takes about a semester of first-year Law School Property class). But suffice it to say, after a couple of generations, particularly those not yet born, even a will is for naught. You just can't obligate that many people who don't yet exist, that far removed from your own death.
0 Replies