Kosher Sex?

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:12 pm
That's the way it should be. ( My opinion )
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:13 pm
How do you like my eyes?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:13 pm
Well, but in Israel everyone acts as he/she considers necessary. There are many unmarried couples having regular sex, adultery is not so infrequent, and homosexuality is not prohibited by law. Neither is male masturbation. The only restrictions the religious lobby managed to impose on society is prohibition of public transport and shops operation on Saturdays and during religious festivals.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:14 pm
Most Jews in Israel sound rather secular to me.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:14 pm
EXCEPT for the ultra-orthodox.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:52 pm
Onan's situation is underreported. The woman that Onan screwed out of a child was screwed by fate several times and Onan's act was particularly mean because he was adding insult to injury. He was taked by his father to give the woman a child. It was his father's promise to the woman that he would provide her with a son. His son was there ONLY to give the poor widow the son.

The son went into the deal to give her what his father had promised his brother's widow and managed to be the guy who shortchanged the widow yet again.

It can easily be argued that his cruelty to the woman is what God got peeved about (hey, back then he made people walk for 40 years because they complained about eating the same thing every day) and that the spilling of the seed was not a big deal to God.

God killed many people out of anger and not all the time was it stated policy on his part. He killed the guy who touched the Ark and all that fellow wanted was to prevent the Holy Ark from falling to the ground.

Onan can be interpreted many ways, I do not interpret it as God acting out of ange at the act but rather the cruel trickery and lies being played on the woman.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:58 pm
To New Haven: Yes, majority of Israelis are secular. That enabled Mr. sharon to found a government without participation of the ultra-Orthodox parties.
To CdK: About Onan. It is true that there is no direct connection to masturbation, and different exegetic explanations of reasons of slaughtering of this man by God exist, but both Jewish and Christian approaches justify any sexual activities for procreation purposes only. As far as there can be no kids as a result of masturbation, it is regarded as a sinful act.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:06 pm
steissd,

not all Christians hold those beliefs. I certainly did not as a Christian.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:32 pm
I think I was a Rastafarian for a week, back in the late 80s... but I don't quite remember.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:37 pm
Rastafarian? Does this mean that you were a loyalist of the last emperor of Ethiopia (his real name is Ras Tafari Meckonnen, after having been crowned he accepted name Haile Selassie, meaning "The Holy Trinity")?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:56 pm
Now, how do same sex marriages fit into this. Wouldn't this be wasting of seed?

The largest branch of Judaism in the U.S. supports same sex marriage. Reform Rabbis Allow Same-Sex Union CeremoniesI'm not sure if I'm surprised or not to have discovered that, or to discover how leading edge the CCAR is. A few years ago I wouldn't have been surprised, as most of my Jewish friends are Reform, but somehow my thinking on the liberalism of the religion has shifted. I'll have to think on whether that change is based on something internal to me, or based on observations of the changes in my community
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:59 pm
steissd wrote:
but both Jewish and Christian approaches justify any sexual activities for procreation purposes only. As far as there can be no kids as a result of masturbation, it is regarded as a sinful act.

wow, you would really have a hard time selling that idea to most anyone other than a few religious eccentrics.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:10 pm
Quote:
today, traditional Catholic and orthodox Jewish doctrine says that masturbation constitutes a grave moral disorder.

Other groups - such as mainstream Protestant sects and Reform Judaism - have a more tolerant attitude or the topic is avoided. Some liberal religious institutions have even promoted masturbation as a safe alternative to pre-marital sex.

afraid to ask the religious viewpoint
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:20 pm
ehBeth, interesting link which only proves just how silly "reasonable" men can be.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:26 pm
Imagine all those priests with no outlet! Then again we're seeing that repression exposed just about daily.
Sick bast'ds
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:34 pm
dys - my new favourite - what can we conclude from all of this religious information

in their conclusion :
Quote:
Various religious texts teach different rules concerning an individual's responsibility towards deity, in terms of animal sacrifices; types of rituals; seasonal holy days; prayer; fasting; wearing ritual tools, clothing, jewelry; body modification, etc.

As described above and in our essay on absolute truth, religions tend to be internally consistent. That is, each religion accepts certain core, fundamental assumptions from which their beliefs about deity are derived. At this time, since we cannot reach a consensus on which set of core assumptions are correct, the world has a wide diversity in beliefs about deity, and our responsibilities towards that deity. There is no way to determine which religion has the correct view of deity.

i love this - there is no way to determine which religion has the correct view ...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:43 pm
but we are more than willing to kill those that differ from our "correct view" which seems to contradict every one of those world religions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:52 pm
not me.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:45 am
ehBeth wrote:
Now, how do same sex marriages fit into this. Wouldn't this be wasting of seed?

The largest branch of Judaism in the U.S. supports same sex marriage. Reform Rabbis Allow Same-Sex Union CeremoniesI'm not sure if I'm surprised or not to have discovered that, or to discover how leading edge the CCAR is. A few years ago I wouldn't have been surprised, as most of my Jewish friends are Reform, but somehow my thinking on the liberalism of the religion has shifted. I'll have to think on whether that change is based on something internal to me, or based on observations of the changes in my community

Many Conservative and Orthodox Jews believe that Reform Jews are too liberal in their views and practices. If Reform Jews wish to "waste their seeds", let them. Maybe it's God will that they should do so. Idea
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 06:52 am
Well, IMO, Reform Judaism is not a religion at all. It is a lifestyle of the secular educated Jews in the USA that permits them to preserve their ethnic identity. The only reason of almost complete absence of the Reform congregations in Israel is absence of necessity of any efforts to preserve identity: Israel is a Jewish state...
0 Replies