A new type of vehicle

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:22 am
BMW and University of Bath have been working on a road vehicle that would feel like a car but look like a bike

Quote:

Clever way to beat the jams

BY SAM REEVES
A CAR to combat city congestion is launched today.

The one-metre wide Clever car, which claims to be safer, greener and more stylish than any other cars, runs on natural gas and can do the equivalent of 108 miles to the gallon.

The vehicle, whose name stands for Compact Low Emission Vehicle for Urban Transport, is the result of a three-year, £1.5m European Union-funded project. A prototype of the threewheeled car has been tested by researchers at of Bath University, who developed Clever's unique tilting suspension.

Dr Geraint Owen, senior lecturer in mechanical engineering at the university, said: "It's the first vehicle that has used hydraulics to enable it to move like a motorcycle but to drive like a car."

The Clever carries one passenger, who sits behind the driver. It is narrower than previous micro-cars to make it easier to park. It has a top speed of 60mph, and can go from 0-40mph in seven seconds.

It is estimated the car would cost between £5,000 and £10,000.

source (for report and photos): Manchester Evening News (1rst edition), Tuesday April 25, 2006, page 4
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,400 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

http://i3.tinypic.com/wgopl1.jpg

LEAN MACHINE. . . prototype of the Clever car is tested out, showing how it tilts

http://i3.tinypic.com/wgoroo.jpg

ECONOMICAL . . . how the finished Clever car will look
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

http://i3.tinypic.com/wgosyf.jpg
This site by the BBC - Green mini-car to beat congestion - has a couple of links and more infos
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:40 am
This is coincidental, Walter, as a friend of mine has just invested all of his spare cash to become the only importer/seller of a very similar car .

He has the franchise for the south east of the UK, including London. He took the first model up to our local golf club (very posh place) and received orders for five of the things.

If I remember, it is a Dutch (?) vehicle, but has some Japanese input, I think. It is a two seater (one passenger behind the driver) and also leans round corners. I can't remember the name of the thing off hand, but I know it costs a lot of money (£30k approx).

Quite an unusual name....now what the hell was it?

I'll get back to you..........
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 02:53 am
BM... most interesting
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 03:23 am
ideal for the school run, shopping and transporting elderly relatives. Not.

Moreover the average Chelsea tractor driver is some timid woman who doesnt feel safe unless in an armored personnel carrier. She'll hang on to her 4*4 until hell freezes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:39 am
G'damn, you'd have to be insane to drive that car in this city. But, I love it!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:28 am
I have something similar. You can park it anywhere, gets great gas mileage, and carries a passenger. In the same time it takes microcar to hit 40mph, it'll already be over 100. Called "motorcycle."

Thing looks like it might be fun to drive....except I definitely wouldn't fee comfortable sitting that low on a public road. Cars pulling out would never see you.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:19 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I have something similar. You can park it anywhere, gets great gas mileage, and carries a passenger. In the same time it takes microcar to hit 40mph, it'll already be over 100. Called "motorcycle."

Thing looks like it might be fun to drive....except I definitely wouldn't fee comfortable sitting that low on a public road. Cars pulling out would never see you.
the on the road version will have a flag and flagpole to let everyone know you are at home.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:52 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking...it's a motorcycle.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 11:56 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking...it's a motorcycle.
I've had various motorcycles. They are very quick, great fun and totally impractical as anything other than a recreational vehicle. Also lethal.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 12:20 pm
I don't think getting hit in one of those is going to be much safer.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 03:13 pm
Sorry, Walter, I did not see your post.
It looks like a motorbike but much more comfortable. For city driving it would be perfect. Of course there will be nay-sayers galore. It will become popular in Europe.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 04:00 pm
If one intended to drive that vehicle in NYCity my suggestion would be to prepay your funeral expenses.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 04:55 pm
Does that mean that all bikers are dead in New York?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 04:57 pm
For one, a biker sits up a lot higher.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 06:39 pm
Actually, I like it, but would have to consider it in addition to a real car; not instead of. Two things they need to work on - protection from the weather, and definately, the price. It tops out at more than my 4 door Focus.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
Well you get what you pay for.

Just kidding.
0 Replies