Mary McCarthy - Politics of treason?

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:26 pm
The newest Bush defense-- it's all the CIA's fault.

Can't junior ever just step up to the plate and take responsibility?

Did the CIA mislead him about Katrina too?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:28 pm
Quote:
Couldn't be too many Dems out there defending her, given that none of us (who I flatter to think of as at least moderately interested in politics) knew what the hell you were blabbering about.....

I thought you were joking. I thought you would surely know what the subject was. Are you that out of touch? Probably because you listen to main stream news, so maybe you wouldn't hear about this.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:30 pm
I just noticed that the thread title reads "politics of treason," not "politics or treason," which was how i had misread that.

My criticism does not change, however. It is not treason to work to expose criminality--in fact, it is a patriotic act.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:31 pm
Quote:
Since Okie obviously intends this to be taken seriously, here's another little bit of absurdity. We are given a choice between deciding if this is politics or treason. How about honest patriotism from someone who doesn't want to see her nation screwed?

Your opinions are pretty revealing. So now a crime is "honest patriotism." What a joke. Not very funny if the leaks endanger your life.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:32 pm
If by mainstream news you mean something not beamed out of backwoods Idaho compounds, then I guess I'm guilty as charged...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:32 pm
So now you have convicted her of crime? That says a lot about your obsessional hatreds, but nothing about my opinions.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:33 pm
Blueflame quote:
Quote:

That figures. The "colleague" was a national security advisor or some such thing for the Kerry campaign.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:36 pm
Quote:
So now you have convicted her of crime? That says a lot about your obsessional hatreds, but nothing about my opinions.

I don't hate anyone. I would like the people working for the CIA to not undermine the agency and the country to people that are out trying to kill us with our tax money. Seems like a reasonable goal doesn't it?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:40 pm
"I would like the people working for the CIA to not undermine the agency and the country to people that are out trying to kill us with our tax money. Seems like a reasonable goal doesn't it?"

2 words, Sparky: Valerie Plame.

Look to the beam in your own eye before complaining about the mote in your neighbor's.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:40 pm
Mid-rant, Okie wraps himself in a banner of righteous indignation:

Quote:
Quote:

I don't hate anyone. I would like the people working for the CIA to not undermine the agency and the country to people that are out trying to kill us with our tax money. Seems like a reasonable goal doesn't it?

How is the country undermined by someone who exposes criminality within the agency? Who is trying to kill us with our tax money? It might seem a reasonable goal, if it weren't predicated on material straight out of the twilight zone.

I can't believe i let myself get sucked in by yet another rightwingnut "where's the outrage" ploy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:41 pm
okie wrote:
Your opinions are pretty revealing. So now a crime is "honest patriotism."

OK, so wait.

In the Valerie Plame case, there actually is a criminal investigation. But since it hasnt ended in any arrest yet (?), you've already concluded that it's all a waste of money and the crime being investigated "wasn't a crime".

In this case, there isnt even any criminal investigation yet, but yet you've already decided that she did commit a crime.

Does this strike you as a double standard, at all?

okie wrote:
What a joke. Not very funny if the leaks endanger your life.

Whose life has been endangered, exactly, by the leak this woman has been accused of?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:43 pm
This woman also denies being responsible for any leaks. But our eagle-eyed Okie is not fooled--he knows a commie when he sees one . . .
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:48 pm
Well, she voted for Kerry. What more evidence would the likes of okie need?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:04 pm
I suspicion shes a bit more involved than simply voting for Kerry. As I said, where are the great investigative reporters?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:10 pm
You "suspicion," Uncle Festus? Since you've already got her convicted of a crime sans evidence, I imagine the great investigative journalists have all gone the way of great jurists out in your neck of the woods-- hiding in the tall cotton, waiting for sanity to return...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:18 pm
We'll have to just wait and see where the story goes. I don't look for much interest into it by much of the media because its not about getting Bush. As for the Valerie Plame - Joe Wilson fiasco, I haven't seen anything important come out of that since it started. An investigation into a crime that wasn't a crime --- now that tops them all.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:21 pm
Okie was quick to jump on the associate who denied her involvement having been involved with Kerry's campaign.. but he failed to mention this

Quote:
Beers ...
served as a top deputy on counter-terrorism for President Bush in 2002 and 2003.
There is the reason to not trust him when he denies Mccarthy was the source. The guy worked for Bush. We know we can't trust anyone that worked for Bush. Or is it only those that worked for Kerry we can't trust? Of course if they worked for Bush and Kerry we are left with a real dilemma.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:15 pm
Parados, some career people have worked for both Democratic and Republican administrations. Thats the way it should be if we can at least agree on some jobs being nonpartisan enough that we can agree they should be done.

Yes, a red flag went up on this case for some reasons I can explain. First of all, the CIA has had a few failures. I believe there has been some partisanship within the agency, possibly to soften the responsibility or blame that they might have in those failures. Regardless, an agency such as this is not supposed to be engaged in partisan efforts against the administration they work for. They are not politicians that make policy. They are to carry out the policy directed by the administration. McCarthy should resign her position if she can't work for the administration rather than carry on her politics against the president while working for the agency, and leak classified information, which is a crime.

Add the following possible connections with other people politically opposed to the current administration as making this story more interesting:
Possible connection with Joe Wilson and his activities.
Connection with Sandy Berger, the guy that was stuffing classified papers in his pants, remember.
Connection with John Kerry and his campaign.
Connection with Richard Clarke
William Goodfellow, husband of Dana Priestly (the reporter) is reported to get Joe Wilson speaking engagements.
Other investigations into leaks, ongoing, possibly including the NSA program, which could include people in Congress.
I'm sure I've missed a few, but plenty of information will blossom in the next weeks, possibly to connect a few dots.

Fascinating to say the least, and I am pulling for Porter Goss to connect a few dots and clean out the moles that are undermining the job the CIA is supposed to be doing, not running a political campaign for the administration's opponents.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:20 pm
Wow, that's quite a conspiracy you've managed to concoct out of whole cloth. Tell me, were you wearin' your double-nought spy hat when you thunk of all this?

I suggest you stop all this a feudin' and a fussin' and go to bed. Rest your fevered brain, Jethro.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
I haven't concluded anything. If you think my brain is running wild, try some googling on the subject. By the way, the William Goodfellow guy, husband of the recipient reporter of McCarthy's leaks, is executive director of the Center for International Policy, which is not your general run of the mill benign, non-political organizations. Hmmm.....
0 Replies