New Orleans Mayor's Race

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:25 am
Anyone here from New Orleans or following the election? I watched the debate on MSNBC the other night and it was a mess with I believe 6 candidates on stage all talking at the same time. Some of them unimpressive to put it mildly. It looks like there will be a runoff between tow of these candidates; Landrieu, Nagin, Foreman.

New Orleans Gears Up For Historic Mayoral ElectionNew Orleans Mayor's Race
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 720 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:45 am
Nagin is a real jerk. In time of crisis, when law abiding citizens needed to protect themselves and their property, he seized their weapons, equating them with armed gangs roaming the city. He still has those weapons - locked away, and won't return them.

This is just another reason I'm an NRA supporter. Go get him, NRA lawyers.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:35 am
If Nagin is re-elected, they deserve him.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:23 am
Well - Nagin pulled it out - sounds like it wasn't too close either.
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1148278011120750.xml&coll=1

Hopefully he will take this victory and really turn it into something good - acting quickly to help the areas of New Orleans that need it most. The toursit areas are back up and running, which is good - b/c you can go down there and help the economy out - but there is a lot more to do for the average citizens.

What do you all think about this victory?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:31 am
I'm glad, when it's all said and done, that since he hung in there for the ****, he'll also be there for the glory. And hopefully glory will return to New Orleans someday.
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:56 am
I agree - they are trying hard and have so many great things to build on - Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest were both big successes that I think proved the city is ready for toursits again, and had the dual effect of bringing in some much needed $$. There are other cool events in the coming months, I hope that they are well attended too. Here are some I found on a LA travel site:
http://www.louisianatravel.com/events/eventresults.cfm?kw=&rgn=2&cit=178
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 09:57 am
I was kind of hoping for Landrieu, because I like his sister, but i'm not too upset that Nagin pulled it out.

He's become a target of the right wing, desperate to put FEMA's failings onto him.

His "chocoloate city" comment was completely twisted around-all he was saying was that since the white areas were largely spared the worst damage, and the black areas had to be evacuated to a much greater degree, that he looks forward to the blacks returning and New Orleans becoming the same vibrant, multi-racial city it was before the storm. What's so bad about that?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 10:15 am
Come on keltic. You know that's not what he meant. He knew that he stood a chance of losing the few Black votes that he had (little known fact: first term brought him major Caucasian votes) so he pandered to a mostly Black audience and it backfired on him in a big way. My guess is, he learned that lesson well. At least, I hope so.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:26 pm
What a shame. He's the new Marion Barry.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:35 pm
They're all alike, right?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:41 pm
Huh?

It's one of those "He may be an idiot, but he's our idiot" things. Like Ted Kennedy.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 04:40 pm
eoe wrote:
Come on keltic. You know that's not what he meant. He knew that he stood a chance of losing the few Black votes that he had (little known fact: first term brought him major Caucasian votes) so he pandered to a mostly Black audience ....

Eoe:

Well, the reason he made the statement might well have been to appeal to black voters, with whom he never really was all that popular. You are correct there.

But the fact is, Katrina hit the black areas hardest, so New Orleans lost a much greater percentage of it's black residents than it's white residents. If you look at Nagin's statement, all he seems to be saying is that he wants to rebuild the black areas so the blacks will return.

The purpose of the statement was no doubt to appeal to black voters, but the thoughts in the statement-rebuild the city back to where it was-do not seem to be anything to get upset about.
0 Replies