The Fiction of "Fact"

parados

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:16 am
My bad.. You were providing humor galaxy..

"billions of people across the glove" Funny stuff there. keep it up..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:22 am
galaxy wrote:
creationism does not rise to the level of evolution? are you aware that billions of people across the glove dismiss the idea of evolution because of their creationist views? As you may be aware of, when that many people across the world believe in such ideas they cannot utterly be dismissed. Of course I'm sure you realized that, being the great mind that you appear to be. (stupid emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

I realize nothing of the kind, and have made no claims about having a great mind. Your mother might ask you: "If billions of people jumped off a cliff, would you have to jump off a cliff, too?" Anatole France put it a little more elegantly, if less accessible to literal minded, credulous people: "That fifty million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." That many people believe a thing is no reason not to dismiss it . . . try reading about the argumentum ad numerum

Quote:
The Argumentum ad numerum or argument from numbers is a logical fallacy (A fallacy in logical argumentation) that consists of the assertion that the more people who accept or believe an assertion, the more likely that assertion is to be true. For instance, it may be asserted that as millions of people read horoscopes every day, astrology (A pseudoscience claiming divination by the positions of the planets and sun and moon) must be a good guide to the future.
0 Replies

galaxy

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:29 am
I'd like to add my ideas if I may.

First and foremost I am a christian and believe in creationism.

I would just like to say that christians, such as myself who do not follow the scientific explanations of how the earth, or us, were created believe firmly that evolution can be proven, and probably has been. However, due to religion and my belief of how I was created and so on, I choose to believe what I believe. The fiction of your fact, or whatever your title to this thread is, should be renamend. "The fiction of my ficticious views of modern fact."

I'm not dogging you or trying to disuade you from using these forums but as stated to you before, do a little research on the topics you wish to discuss. That way you don't sound so absurd. Evolution can be proven, is proven, along with many theories in the scientific field. Displacement Theory, Atomic Theory, Theory of Relativity, --and you may have heard of this one-- Religious Theory. There are many faucets of scientific theory, some of which not fully understood, some fully. But do not say that evolution theory cannot be proven and that it is a mere theory. I assume you have not taken college level courses in philosophy, physics, biology, anatomy, astronomy, or any field that requires research, and covers the topics which are discussed in this thread. Very amusing story, but you may wish to add a little depth to wisdom. Try to rent a dvd or something to give you at least a general idea on how an evolutionist thinks. The fiction of your fact remains. Evolution can be proven, and is proven. However this is a debate left to the religious forum. Not because you are looking for scientific fact to support evolution. Let me make this simple for you.
Evolution=scientific version of creationsim.
It sounds like you will not get the proof you look for until you find it for yourself.
And on a last note there are more than 2 ideas on how this world and we as a representative of modern man have come into being. Have you not heard of the church of scientology? Perhaps you should become a member since you seem to be lost on the views of creationism and evolution.
0 Replies

astounding

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:34 am
dude, you guys are all messed up. Nobody understands what I'm trying to say. Galaxy ...go sit on a twizzler and make yourself useful. Leave this argument to educated minds. what does philosophy have to do with evolution jackass?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:37 am
In keeping with a personal policy always to make note of this, i have reported your post as an attack on another member. If the moderators agree, this thread will shortly be locked, until the offensive post is removed.
0 Replies

galaxy

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:38 am
no, don't remove it thats cool. astounding, I don't take that as an offense, but this may help you just a little.

Philosophic inquiry aims, ultimately, at a general understanding of the whole of reality. It draws on the insights of the great historical philosophers, on what has been learned in all other major fields of study, and on the rich perspective embodied within our ordinary ways of thinking. Philosophers address a diverse array of deep, challenging, and profoundly important questions. Examples include the nature of the self and of personal identity; the existence or nonexistence of God; the nature of such phenomena as time, mind, language, and science; the sources and limits of human knowledge; the nature of the good life; the foundations of state authority; the requirements of social justice; and the nature of art, beauty, and aesthetic experience. Philosophical questions are addressed not by reference to empirical information alone, but by means of analysis, synthesis, argument, and the construction and evaluation of philosophical theories.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:41 am
I submit the originator of this thread, our new freind astounding, appears to be firmly siezed of the "Don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up" philosophy. None so deaf as will not hear, none so blind as will not see.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:54 am
A fool and his sanity soon part company. -lw

H. L. Mencken:

Imagine the Creator as a low comedian, and at once the world becomes explicable.

Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth knowing.

It is impossible to imagine the universe run by a wise, just and omnipotent God, but it is quite easy to imagine it run by a board of gods. If such a board actually exists it operates precisely like the board of a corporation that is losing money.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:54 am
galaxy,

You bring up a good point.
Evolution is viewed in many ways. My version of those ways:

1. Creationism is the only way. Evolution is a myth.
2. Evolution is probably factual but God is driving it.
3. Evolution is probably factual but no evidence of God or not
4. Evolution is factual and there is no God at all.

In reality, the only version that should be taught in schools is 3.

People can decide to believe 2 or 4 on their own since the existence or non existence of God is philisophical.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:57 am
Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all other philosophers are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.

H.L. Mencken
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:58 am
Lightwizard wrote:
A fool and his sanity soon part company. -lw

H. L. Mencken:

Imagine the Creator as a low comedian, and at once the world becomes explicable.

Theology is the effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth knowing.

It is impossible to imagine the universe run by a wise, just and omnipotent God, but it is quite easy to imagine it run by a board of gods. If such a board actually exists it operates precisely like the board of a corporation that is losing money.

But the good news is God has stock options worth 1.8 trillion yen.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
The cosmos is a gigantic fly-wheel making 10000 revolutions a minute. Man is a sick fly takinga dizzy ride on it. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride. - H. L. Mencken

Of course, the ultimate egotism of the human mind is believing there is a "human-like" intelligence up there guiding or protecting them, taking an individual interest in them. That's self-esteem that rises to the level of the sub-conscious desire to be a despot.
0 Replies

galaxy

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
astounding:

since no view of ours seems to work for you why not just give God a name. I dunno, how about Evolution?

So if Gods name is Evolution....well you do all the work on this one.
0 Replies

astounding

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
they are all simple minded views, of a simple nature. Man trying to explain a phenomenon that can only be explained once a man is dead.
As no SCIENTIFIC fact has been presented to me, then I assume that the belief in an untested theory will suffice. okay, okay, whatever, it may be tested, it may be proven to some even. But how do you know that it is the correct train of thought? Are the right scientific solutions being subjected to its research? It will always remain a theory until it is proven. Just as the world is flat theory was disproved, everyone started believing. Can science disprove theology? or creationism? I think not. So therefore this argument will rage on until each one of us experiences death. Then, and only then, if there is a god, we will find creationism is true hard fact, or if we are rebirthed into a monkey will we find that reincarnation is correct, or perhaps some scientist will develop an immortality elixer and we'll experience evolution first hand.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:17 am
astounding wrote:
dude, you guys are all messed up. Nobody understands what I'm trying to say.

Consider. that by the evidence on this thread, as noted by yourself, the problem is not with "everybody", but rather with what you're trying to say and/or the manner in which you are attempting to say whatever it is you want to say.

Persisting in unpleasant vein, astounding wrote:
Galaxy ...go sit on a twizzler and make yourself useful. Leave this argument to educated minds. what does philosophy have to do with evolution jackass?

May I suggest, in a sense of charity, tolerance, and accomodation appropriate to your presumed unfamiliarity with the lay of the local land here, that it might be to your benefit, should you harbor intent to frequent these discussions and continue to participate hereon, that you review The Terms to which you assented when becoming a member of this website. It is one thing to engage in a war of wits while unarmed, it is another to disregard rules.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:19 am
Considering the context and syntax, I think astounding and galaxy are one in the same person. Wonder what they think happens to clones on this forum?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
(Two trolls dancing in the moonlight?)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Considering the context and syntax, I think astounding and galaxy are one in the same person. Wonder what they think happens to clones on this forum?

I also suspected that astounding and galaxy are the same person. One poster doing a "good creation cop--bad creation cop" prank.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:36 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The cosmos is a gigantic fly-wheel making 10000 revolutions a minute. Man is a sick fly takinga dizzy ride on it.

that sounds like the *Mission: Space* ride at Disney World. is that what Shakespeare was describing when he wrote about shuffling off the mortal coil?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:44 am
astounding wrote:
they are all simple minded views, of a simple nature. Man trying to explain a phenomenon that can only be explained once a man is dead.
I don't know why we got the idea you were coming from a religious viewpoint.
Quote:

As no SCIENTIFIC fact has been presented to me, then I assume that the belief in an untested theory will suffice.
Did you do the math yet and tell me how many new species were created? Or are you conveinently claiming no science because you don't want to face reality?
Quote:

okay, okay, whatever, it may be tested, it may be proven to some even. But how do you know that it is the correct train of thought? Are the right scientific solutions being subjected to its research?
Tell us which ones aren't being researched. Arguing from ignorance isn't an argument at all.
Quote:
It will always remain a theory until it is proven.
More ignorance on your part. Science never really proves anything absolutely. That is why it is science. It always asks questions and tries to find new answers.
Quote:
Just as the world is flat theory was disproved, everyone started believing. Can science disprove theology? or creationism? I think not. So therefore this argument will rage on until each one of us experiences death. Then, and only then, if there is a god, we will find creationism is true hard fact, or if we are rebirthed into a monkey will we find that reincarnation is correct, or perhaps some scientist will develop an immortality elixer and we'll experience evolution first hand.
A single living organism doesn't evolve even if it lives for eternity. Evolution is the idea that descendents of an organism change over time. Something that HAS been witnessed and scientifically studied.

Observed Instances of Speciation
0 Replies