Indoor lap pool

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 09:04 am
25 feet long seems short to me, perhaps not to others. That's part of the problem of course, with a non-endless pool, it takes up space. I remember an old rule of thumb was that you count a stroke as taking seven feet...

Hickory Stick, I haven't seen you post lately.. but if you read this, I was tested for mold decades ago, as part of a regular allergy screening. I haven't read any more about that, to know if somehow those old tests were invalid.

Moocow, welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

moocowmooyoumoo

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 11:51 pm
Hi Osso! Thanks for your kind welcome. I hadn't heard that rule of thumb but it is good to know. I will have to think about the length. I could make it longer, but my lot size is only 60 feet and taking 10 feet off each side for the building would leave only 40 feet. I suppose I could have about 30 feet. It makes sense to me to have it as long as possible.

I still don't want an endless pool. Wouldn't it be weird if I had a whole lot of room and installed a circular, donut-shaped pool. That would really be an endless pool!! I could just swim round and round and round...

It's late here. I think I'm getting a bit loopy or something.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 12:26 am
Yes (smiling).
0 Replies

c2setters

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:44 pm
Indoor Lap Pool
Looks like this is an old thread but thought I'd give you info that I've learned so far. Pool should be at least 30 feet long so you're not just constantly turning. The mold would depend on what the climate is like in your area and also ventilation fans. We're currently designing a house with the lap pool in the walkout basement. We've found that contractors back away from anything with a pool. Something to consider is if there is a leak, will it undermine your foundation? I've also read that if you take too much water out you can collapse a fiberglass or gunite pool. I wish I knew more so am hoping there will be more information coming to you on this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 05:09 pm
Welcome to a2k, c2setters..

not irish setters, by any chance?

I wouldn't ordinarily worry about a leak with a gunite pool, unless you live in earthquakeville, and even then I would be apt not to worry, but with a "manufactured" pool I might. Interesting.

I'm not a pool contractor - I used to locate the pool and give a variety of details, now getting to be years ago; I've not been involved with indoor pools and am just interested out of curiosity at this point.

I even have a love hate thing with pools, in that I find them obnoxious ecologically - sometimes - and wonderful, sometimes. I've done paintings of pools, interesting if only for the way the pool follows you as you walk by the painting. Have a friend who used to send me photos of ugly pools...
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 12:12 pm
I am currently building two pools and a hot tub....gunite...I believe this is the most stressful job I've ever worked on....check back with me in about a month and I might be willing/able to talk about it...heh.

Edit: I posted a picture in the picture gallery...and ranted a bit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 05:36 pm
I saw that, 2 packs.. I've questions, mostly about the freeform pool and what the graphic indicates, but you don't need my curiosity when you're trying to get this done. Maybe later...

While I've done a lot of pool designs, they've been more about calling out location, dimensions, the surface coat color, tile selection, pavement selection, point grades, pavement drain locations, if any, appropriate planting, yadda yadda - and I never got facile at all with the computer/drafting. I never did learn CADD, or LandCADD, being a old-type drawing enthusiast.

Anyway, good luck...
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:09 pm
Nah, you can ask anything you want...I was pretty wound up about it earlier this week, but I'm fine now {thanks in part to JPB} I'm sure you know how it goes with the artistic folk....I want things perfect, or at least somewhat close and the pool builders just threw stuff in there.

Even in the rough and rowdy world of commercial construction, finishers tend to be a slightly different breed. As more of the rough-necks begin to leave, and the finishing crews have the run of the place, the atmosphere will change and we can get down to doing what we do.

I have some simple CADD programs, and I have access to the top of the line ones if needed....but I still like to do my design work on paper with pencils.

It's going to be a very neat pool when finished, in the second link I gave you can sort of see the rock formations better. The boys started on that this week also...I was up there yesterday, just inspecting and they had started the steel skeleton work for the rock...which will be shot in with gunite as well. I started to take a picture, but they won't get too far by Monday, very slow process. They have a decent web-site as well...name is COST of Wisconsin, they do a lot of zoo and museum exhibits...that sort of thing.

It has a rock climbing wall, and they tell me it's the first one like it in the world...I find that hard to believe, but these guys would know. The very long arcing wall, toward the viewer in the picture, is a vanishing wall, when I'm finished it will be a 85 foot long waterfall...one single sheet of water....I hope. I have that all built, it's just a matter of tiling it now...and then it will be at least a month before I find out if it's going to work or not. There is a waterfall a few blocks away, and I went down there and took measurements...angles and pitch for my distance, water depth at the turn..etc. I bet the college kids were wondering what the hell that cowboy was doing on top of the waterfall...I got out of there quick before anyone got a chance to call campus security.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:53 pm
I was mesmerized by the wide curvy steps within the pool..
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 07:11 pm
Eliminated, if you are talking about the ones in the floor of the pool...the main steps entering the pool, the nice wides ones....they are about half that size and are pointing about 40 degrees more to the right...and are more "walled in". From the vantage point of the shot in the second link, I doubt you could even see them at all now.
0 Replies