Indoor lap pool

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:43 pm
I see people all the time adding on a room to their homes. I'm wanting to add on a long narrow room with a pool. Not a giant pool, just 2 lanes wide and lap length - 4 to 5 feet deep.

I'm wondering a lot of things. How expensive is it to maintain a pool that's indoor?

Would there be a potential mold problem with that large of a body of water in the home?

Is it hard to heat a pool that's indoor?

If anyone else has done something similar, feel free to share any advice you have.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,896 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Wy

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:56 pm
There are plenty of indoor lap pools. I don't have one, but there's bound to be info on it. Have you Googled it?
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 04:26 am
Of course I googled it. I didn't find what I was looking for. Isn't that what these forums are for? :smile:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 04:54 am
Sorry I don't have any info for ya, but I've wondered about this myself and am curious to know the expenses that comes along with having an indoor pool, so I'm just gonna hang out and watch.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:57 am
Couldn't you just substitute a slip'n'slide?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:03 am
How about those pools that are very short, but there's a current pushing against you as you swim?

You stay stationary in the water.

Although, how would you allow for wanting to slow down, speed up etc. I'd hate to have to stop to adjust the current pressure.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:57 pm
Yeah, that would really suck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:12 pm
<Laughs, Montana, good one>

Way back when my hub and I first got our small bungalow, and I first took design classes, and not long after I'd learned to swim a mile, ever so slowly in the local YMCA pool, all of these right around the time I studied landscape architecture - I did a plan for our house with a lap pool going somewhat into the house because the backyard was so short. A concept plan, that is... I hadn't worked out the fine points like how to keep the outside out and the inside in.

That was a first foray into house rehab - we eventually did little, mainly changing the circulation through the house, closing a lot of doorways and opening one other.

I think I was sort of primed to think of that as a fun idea since my ex and my mutual friend Harvey had lived, long before, in a Frank Lloyd Wright house that had a pool coming into the house. Most of Harvey's comments had to do with varmints swimming in at night...

Decades later my and partner's firm was involved with a redesign of a residential property that had a pool intersect and go into the house, long story there, but with new owners the house was brought down to the merest bit and rebuilt in wildly different form.

As for houses with pools inside entirely, I don't know anything about that, being from California regions where there wasn't much thought about that. I do have some photos I've saved over time of elegant pool rooms, probably from Architectural Digest, the magazine I love to hate. I imagine matters of air, heat, solar radiation, pool deck with solar tubing... could be important re energy costs, and of course, mold.

Best indoor pool I've seen personally was at Hearst Castle...
on the other hand, it's the only one I've seen personally - besides the ones at the Y in WLA and Northwestern University gym decades ago.

What about a nice spa, eh?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:28 pm
On the small pools where you swim against a current - back in the era I was just describing my ex suggested swimming against a current in a smaller space and I pooh poohed it. Shows what I know. I'd guess he saw a New Yorker or Sunset magazine ad, but he didn't read mags. I thought he made it up, and didn't see an ad for that kind of pool for another bunch of years.

I've never understood those, thinking of myself being spatulated against the back wall of the pool or flailing fast into the front wall. Would be interested to find out if people actually like those...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:35 pm
On mold, our old friendly electrician suggested running fluorescent light under the house (gfi'd of course) - our's had a fair sized crawl space - not so much for the light, I think, dunno, but for the drying effect. Or running it across the front of baseboards.

I don't know where you live, Hickory, not that you should divulge if you don't want to, but that different regions seem to have variations in problems, re mold.

Here in New Mexico I think it would take some effort to scare up mold, though I'm not sure of that. This is good, since I am 4+ allergic to it.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 03:16 pm
ossobuco, how do you know you're allergic to mold, specifically? I had to take deductive reasoning to rely on for my mold allergy - I only have the symptoms when it rains (and of course in moldy buildings)

I thought I heard that there wasn't a specific test for a mold allergy, and that you had to be tested for everything else to rule out everything except mold.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:23 pm
HickoryStick, please don't think I didn't believe you when you said you'd googled it. But I did, too, and the fifth hit was......

This Thread!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:30 pm
The little lap pools with a current are excellent...I've tried one and the current is adjustable.Best excercise I can imagine...cardio workout and no strain on he feet or knees.
I'd build an addition that could be sealed from the rest of the house by sliding glass or French doors.
A dehumidifier would keep the moisture level down...go for it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:34 pm
Lap pools with the current have a control up front where you go in. you set the flow and swim slowly back. Its easy. Id never put one of the damn things in my place, too yuppy and our house is too old to stand the humidity
We had some friends with a pool and a stream that entered their house and cut a nice little glow pool in the living area.People kept falling into it when they were drunk or whatever. They actually had a long chinese grate made like the ones on on the Sun Yat Sen parkway in Taipei (cept the TAipei one was used for storm water)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:11 am
My dream has always been to have a log home and an indoor pool and I'm curious to know what the expense would be just for the pool, as I've already done my research on the log home.

I would imagine it's quite costly.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 03:41 pm
Wy wrote:
HickoryStick, please don't think I didn't believe you when you said you'd googled it. But I did, too, and the fifth hit was......

This Thread!

Wow! That's funny.

Just a normal in-ground concrete pool is a lot more expensive than it should be, Montana.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 05:29 pm
Yeah, I believe you. I've got to do some research on this one of these days.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 04:19 am
Well, a kit to "do it yourself" starts around $8K
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:04 am
I've had enough kit experience in my days to know I won't be going back there ;-)
0 Replies

moocowmooyoumoo

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 03:03 am
I Also Want to Install an Indoor Lap Pool
This is something I want to do also. At this point I don't want to install an "endless pool" but that is all I can find out about. I want to add a room to the back of my house (a "pool room") with a lap pool about 8' wide, 20-25' in length and 5' deep. The rest of the room would be a patio room/sun room with patio furniture, a hammock, lots of plants, etc.

I would need to know about ventilation and I want to have a lot of glass.

An indoor pool makes sense where I live. I live on the coast in Oregon. It rains a lot here!! An indoor pool would cut down on cleaning, I could swim year-round regardless of the weather, it would be cheaper to heat (I'm considering a heat pump - we have no natural gas here), I wouldn't have to worry about the bears getting into the pool, not to mention neighborhood kids. I love to swim and I need to swim for health reasons (degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia to name a few).

But I can find no information on exactly how to go about doing this!! What type of pool is best? What about ventilation? We have a very high water table here and that is a problem. I need help!!
0 Replies