So it was a lie, after all...

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:11 pm
We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories. You remember when Colin Powell stood up in front of the world, and he said, Iraq has got laboratories, mobile labs to build biological weapons. They're illegal. They're against the United Nations resolutions, and we've so far discovered two. And we'll find more weapons as time goes on. But for those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them.

- President Bush, May 29, 2003

Now, I have posted the above quote a couple of times. It's from a TV interview, and the transcript can be found on the White House website.

I was a bit surprised back then, and it later turned out that the statement didn't hold water. However, yesterday, when I opened the newspaper (online version here), I nearly spilled my coffee.

The article was talking about a team of experts that had been sent to Iraq by the Pentagon, soon after two trucks had been discovered. The team consisted of nine experts from Britain and the USA - all of them with extensive experience in the fields involved in the making of bioweapons. Their task was to determine whether or not the trucks were the notorious "mobile biolabs" that had been cited as a reason for going to war.

The team was assembled in Kuwait, then flown to Baghdad. They began their work on May 25, 2003. "Within the first four hours, it was clear to everyone that these were not biological labs", one team member said. However, they proceeded with their work and came to the conclusion that the trailers were mobile units to produce hydrogen for weather ballons. They sent their report back to Washington on May 27. The report also dismissed the notion that the trailers could be easily modified to to produce weapons. "It would be easier to start all over with just a bucket", as one expert put it.

Nevertheless, two days later, Bush went on TV and declared, referring to the two trailers, "We found the weapons of mass destruction".

So what was the purpose of this statement? Why tell a lie in the face of evidence to the contrary? Was he confident that more WMD might surface, and in the meantime nobody would notice that the trucks were harmless, serving exactly the purpose the Iraqis had stated after Powell had accused them of possessing mobile biolabs in the UN Security Council?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 612 • Replies: 9
No top replies

old europe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:22 pm
From Powell's slideshow presentation to the UN:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fc/IraqMobileProductionFacilities.jpg/300px-IraqMobileProductionFacilities.jpg
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:51 pm
Holy bejeezus! Look at all that moonshine they were making?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:53 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Holy bejeezus! Look at all that moonshine they were making?

Oh! We're at war because of the stamp tax evasions!

Well, then. They deserve it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:57 pm
And because they weren't sharing.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 12:59 pm
Dude. I think we got a better deal when we invaded Afghanistan.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:18 pm
Darned tootin'.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:48 pm
Let me play devil's advocate.

We do not know Bush was given the correct intel, for whatever reason. So we cannot say absolutely that he lied. But, either way, it is damning. It might be even worse that the POTUS was not given the right intel from his advisors when it was clearly out there.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:03 pm
Good effort Rox. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:14 pm
Certainly. It's always possible that Bush didn't get the reports that were available. Or that he didn't get them right away, despite being Commander In Chief. It's also possible that he did get the report, but sincerely believed that it was mistaken. The question would be if something like that could, technically, be called a lie. Maybe it couldn't, but then the excuse would be "utter incompetence".

What I found a bit surprising, however, is how long the myth of the "mobile biolabs" has been trodden out by this administration. This statement, for example, is from Dick Cheney, and he made it in September 2003 - four months after the team had reported back from Iraq:

We had intelligence reporting before the war that there were at least seven of these mobile labs that he had gone out and acquired. We've, since the war, found two of them. They're in our possession today, mobile biological facilities that can be used to produce anthrax or smallpox or whatever else you wanted to use during the course of developing the capacity for an attack.

- Dick Cheney, September 14, 2003

Now that would be something I would call a deliberate lie.
0 Replies