Real change this fall?

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 09:30 am
Will we see the Dems take control of one or more of the houses of Congress this fall? This thread is generally intended for open debate and predictions.

The fact that the Dems are tied with the Republicans on national security in this poll is shocking, really; why, I've been assured many times by Conservatives on this board that the citizens of America just won't trust the Dems on security issues. Seems they don't trust Republicans either.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,179 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
OK let's see how long it takes before the validity of the poll is questioned?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:09 am
"These numbers are scary. We've lost every advantage we've ever had," GOP pollster Tony Fabrizio said.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
They have even loss Sensenbrenner.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:15 am
I'm willing to make a prediction that nothing much will change, but that Republican unease and voter discontent will grow. The Democrats have a shot at making a small gain in the Senate--but the power of incumbency being what it is, i doubt that they can do more than pick up a couple of seats. Given the power of incumbency, i'd say the Democrats might slightly improve their position in the House, but i think it highly unrealistic to think that they could take over the House.

I think it more likely that disenchanted Republican voters will stay home, and that incumbents on a Republican ticket would simply be returned by a lower margin.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 11:04 am
I agree with Set. I believe the Democrats may pick up some seats, but not enough to control either House. I would be very surprised if the Democrats were to gain control of Congress.

Only one poll counts, and that's on election-day. Far more interesting would be a carefull analysis of the various seats to be filled in the coming mid-term elections. Mid-term elections tend to draw lower than average turnouts, and don't often signal radical change in Congressional policies. Always there are exceptions, but I don't think so this time.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 11:24 am
I am not sure if the Democrats want to win in November. Better to gain a few seats, but keep the focus on the Republican controlled congress until 2008.

It's their mess.Why let them off the hook so easily?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 11:27 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I am not sure if the Democrats want to win in November. Better to gain a few seats, but keep the focus on the Republican controlled congress until 2008.

It's their mess.Why let them off the hook so easily?

Astute . . .
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 11:29 am
I would be satisfied with a Dem overall pickup in both houses. I think that's a very achievable goal, and if one studies the votes these days, closing the gap between the two parties may lead essentially to the same thing - de facto control.

Republicans have passed many a bill by a bare margin of victory; just a few victories by Dems would put an end to that.

What it wouldn't do is provide the Dems with the all-important investigative and subpoena powers that they need to get to the bottom of the lies and manipulations of the WH. It would still be up to the Dems (and the DoJ, apparently) to convince the Republicans to hold the Executive branch, and each other (abramoff) accountable for violations of the law.

wild card prediction: if the Plame case keeps going the way it has been going, the Dems have a real shot at winning.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

paull

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 03:01 pm
Plame? It's that addiction to dead horse beating that keeps the Democratic party down, imo.

The pendulum is swinging back, as it always does, and the Democrats will win some seats back. The worst thing that could happen for them is to win the house and spend the next two years laughably trying to impeach Bush. A few thousand Schumer, Reid, Dean and McKinney soundbites later, ANY Republican could win the presidency, beating the best of the Democrats.

The Democrats should stick to shoveling largesse to their special interests, trying to ignore Hollyweird, and try to find a leader who doesn't look ancient and sound like a perpetual knee jerk. Obama is a real possiblility, and should be promoted, or Michael Steele will be the first Black president.........wouldn't that be a hoot?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:52 pm
The President lied us into war, covered it up to get re-elected while the Republican Congress enabled him and this is a dead horse? You are dreaming.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:54 pm
Asherman wrote:

Only one poll counts, and that's on election-day.

So it took how many posts for someone to deny the validity of the poll?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
Asherman wrote:
I agree with Set. I believe the Democrats may pick up some seats, but not enough to control either House. I would be very surprised if the Democrats were to gain control of Congress.

Only one poll counts, and that's on election-day. Far more interesting would be a carefull analysis of the various seats to be filled in the coming mid-term elections. Mid-term elections tend to draw lower than average turnouts, and don't often signal radical change in Congressional policies. Always there are exceptions, but I don't think so this time.

Didn't you say somewhere you were historian? Did you study any Twentieth Century American History? Oh wait...I guess not. Never mind.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:01 pm
I think I'll wait and see who the candidates are and make my decision accordingly. Democrat or Republican it makes no never mind to me. Bottom line is they're all politicians and somewhat corrupt and dishonest, just a matter of voting for the one who seems most decent.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:03 pm
Sturgis wrote:
I think I'll wait and see who the candidates are and make my decision accordingly. Democrat or Republican it makes no never mind to me. Bottom line is they're all politicians and somewhat corrupt and dishonest, just a matter of voting for the one who seems most decent.

What??? You don;'t know who is running in your district yet?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:03 pm
Quote:
he Six-Year Itch
By Charlie Cook
© National Journal
February 14, 2006

On the Sunday after Thanksgiving, historian Joseph Ellis said on "Face the Nation" that second term presidencies were about ducks, chickens and bubbles.

He said second-term "lame duck" presidents have little power to enforce party discipline on Capitol Hill, making it much more difficult to win legislative victories. Furthermore, chickens come home to roost, meaning decisions, policies and events from the first term come back to haunt second-term presidents. And that after four years or more in the White House, presidents and staffers tend to live in bubbles and their decisions often reflect a detachment from the outside world, which can have serious political consequences.

One or more of these factors has plagued every second-term president.

The inability of a second-termer to enforce party discipline has been evident in the newspapers over the last week or so, with some Republican members of Congress questioning the legality and wisdom of the NSA eavesdropping program and a committee issuing a report highly critical of the Bush administration's handling of Hurricane Katrina.

It is doubtful that this would have happened in the first term, when Republican senators and representatives were working to get President Bush re-elected and were usually loath to directly criticize the president or the White House.

Today there is a realization that every Republican in the House and 14 Republican senators will have their names on the ballot this November, while the president's name will never be on one again.

The decision to go to war with Iraq, the controversy over NSA surveillance, the ill-fated Social Security plan, the CIA leak case, the Medicare prescription drug benefit and the handling of Hurricane Katrina all are examples of one or more of Ellis' ducks, chickens and bubbles coming true.

The point of all of this is not to dump on the White House, but to demonstrate that an examination of history reveals patterns and certain behavioral tendencies that emerge in presidencies and in the members of Congress of the president's party at various stages of their terms. None of this is unusual or unexpected.

The relevance in examining what happened last year and what is occurring this year is that it will help determine whether the historical second-term midterm election, dubbed the "six-year itch" phenomenon, occurs in November.

In February 1958, at this point in his presidency, President Eisenhower had a Gallup job approval rating of 54 percent. In November it was 52 percent, and Republicans lost 13 Senate and 48 House seats.

In February 1966, in the sixth year of the Kennedy/Johnson administration, President Johnson had a 56 percent Gallup approval rating. Going into November, it was 44 percent, and Democrats lost four Senate seats and 47 House seats.

President Nixon's approval rating in February 1974 was 27 percent. After Nixon left office, President Ford went into the midterm election with a 54 percent approval rating, having dropped 21 points after his pardon of Nixon. In the wake of Watergate, the GOP lost five seats in the Senate and 48 in the House.

At this point in his tenure, President Reagan had a 64 percent approval rating. He was only 1 point lower going into the 1986 midterm election when the GOP lost only five House seats and eight Senate seats. Neither loss was terribly significant that year.

In truth, 1986 was a reaction or correction. A large number of very weak GOP Senate incumbents who rode into office in the 1980 Reagan tidal wave were promptly washed back out to sea when they came up for re-election six years later. Worth noting is that the Iran-Contra scandal broke a day after the midterm election; in the very next Gallup Poll, Reagan's approval rating plummeted to 47 percent.

President Clinton's approval rating at this point was 66 percent. It was precisely the same going into the 1998 midterm election, which explains why Democrats actually gained five seats in the House and broke even in the Senate.

Clearly, with just one open Republican Senate seat and just five truly vulnerable GOP Senate seats -- not to mention several highly vulnerable Democratic Senate seats, few Republican open seats and few incumbents seriously challenged in vulnerable GOP districts -- the potential for losses of the magnitude of many previous six-year elections is negligible.

But presidents with job approval ratings in the 40s and 50s, as opposed to the 60s, have had real losses, and for President Bush, who is currently at 43 percent, that has to be sobering.

While GOP exposure to those historic levels of losses might not be real, they remain vulnerable to some of the same dynamics and reoccurring patterns that have contributed to past losses. What happens over the next nine months will determine whether expected GOP losses stay under or go over the magic six seats in the Senate or 15 seats in the House that turn over control of those chambers.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:08 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

What??? You don;'t know who is running in your district yet?

There are usually a few local characters who aren't mentioned much prior to the big day, nor do they do much campaigning. Add to this the simple facts Roxxxanne...some 6 months left to election day...a few more Tom DeLay situations and the slates could change quite a bit. Who knows, maybe even that Hillary critter will drop out of her race. (I can hope and dream can't I?)
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:18 pm
You can only be voting for two candidates, a Senator and Congressperson. What Congressional District are you voting in? I can't fathom you don't even know who is running.

I only have one person to vote for this time and she is running virtually unopposed.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:24 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
You can only be voting for two candidates, a Senator and Congressperson. What Congressional District are you voting in? I can't fathom you don't even know who is running.

I only have one person to vote for this time and she is running virtually unopposed.

I thought you meant for all openings including every little community seat that is available...after all, those folks can eventually move up the ladder towards those bigger seats such as are found in Congress and the Senate.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:28 pm
It is Friday night and all Roxxy has to do is flame. Sad, no?
0 Replies