Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 11:03 am
roger wrote:
MacIntosh, mushy!? It must have been rotten.

Really, a Pink Lady sounds like some sort of drink. You know, the kind you get in yuppin joints with ferns hanging in your face.

Must have gotten a bad one, it was soft.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:31 pm
I'll keep my eye out for some of those Pacific Rose apples, boom. But in the meantime, I just had a pink lady. Man, they're good!

Quote:
my favorites are fuji and gala

Beware to the gala lovers:
My supervisor said galas used to be her favorite. Until we started eating the Pink Lady apples. Now she doesn't like galas. They just don't do it for her anymore. It's Pink Ladies all the way!! Razz
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:49 pm
Do keep an eye out - I don't see them very often. They look like Pink Ladys. The first time I bought them I thought I was buying Pink Ladys.

Both are wonderful. I love apples. My standby is the Golden Delicious sprinkled with a tiny bit of salt.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:53 pm
I'll definately look for them, boom.

Like Edgar, I also like Red Delicious. Love it when they drip down your chin! Yum!

nimh wrote:
Quote:
You people will give my mind no peace, will ya...

<nother deep, yearning sigh>

nimh, you can share a pink lady with me anytime! :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:31 pm
Well, if you're sharing your pink ladies, I'm there, no doubt... :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 05:43 pm
A good fresh apple can't be beat. I fill the bottom drawer of the office fridge with Pink Ladies every Monday. But, I've never been fond of apple pies, apple sauce, or apple juice. I will eat them when served, but have never bought any on my own.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:17 am
This is disgusting-

I felt like i should eat something healthy yesterday so I picked up a golden delicious apple, looked absolutely perfect, nothing manky about it at all.
I bit a big bite out of it, felt something mushy on my tongue, spat it out and had a look in the apple.
Inside was a cavity the size of a golf ball with all brown rotten flesh around it.
Its put me off apples for life.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:47 am
No need to overreact, mg. Just make a practice of cutting apples into wedges before you eat them.

I do this with ALL fruits & veggies.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:56 am
I will.
Do you call them veggie weggies?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 09:57 am
And hey, you could have found half a worm in there, instead.

Sorry MG

I saw pink ladies in the store yesterday, but I'll have to wait. They were all soft like they'd been stored a little long.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:05 am
Love pink ladies! But I can't seem to find them any where. For a while last year they had them all the time at the grocery store - now I can't find them.
Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 12:42 pm
material girl wrote:
I will.
Do you call them veggie weggies?

Cute!

I just bought some Pink Ladies to see what you guys are all talking about. I'll let you know what I think later after I've eaten one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 12:53 pm
I like the old fashioned apples that were bred for taste and not keeping in a box for 6 months r reluctance to bruising.
Gimme a winter banana apple or a cortland red and Ill beat any one of your "boutique apples " that were bred for looks and not taste .

When you think of modern production of fruits, think about what they did to the strawberry. Hell todays strawberries are indistinguishable in flavor from the box they came in
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:36 pm
Likewise tomatoes, apricots and a bunch of others.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 01:46 pm
That reminds me of a remark by Garrison Keillor, edgar...."tomatoes that were strip-mined in Texas."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:52 pm
around here Dupont manufactures tomatoes. Brandywine is a Pa developed tomato and is an heirloom. It is a sweet juicy hand eatin mater that'd knock the sox offn the better boys and VFTN crap that Burpee sells.

We grow old fashioned Indian gourds and use them for craft designs. They have a thick hard rind that gets like wood . One can carve seep relief art work on them.

The only thing that has fared well in hybridization is sweet corn. The new sweet corns are almost too sweet and dont get starchy for days.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:42 pm
Brandywine, huh? I'll look for that one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:47 pm
I've grown Brandywines and a lot of other heirlooms. Yay for them. Had to stop when I lived in Eureka... home of a high of 64 degrees F.

I have sort of lost it for corn in the grocery store. All virtually too sweet. If I grow any here, I'm going to look at heirloom websites.
0 Replies

Leerz

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2011 11:22 am
@Linkat,
I can't find them either! Honey crisp (another favorite of mine) seem to be in short supply.
0 Replies