Found: Gospel of Judas

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:38 pm
Lost gospel casts Judas in a new light PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY
AM - Friday, 7 April , 2006 08:28:00
Reporter: Karen Percy
TONY EASTLEY: A 66-page manuscript published this week by National Geographic questions Christian history as we know it.

A section of the 1700-year-old text claims to show that Judas Iscariot wasn't the villain he was made out to be.

Far from being a traitor who dobbed Jesus into the authorities, it seems he got a bad press and it was all part of a plan devised by Jesus and Judas.

Casting Judas as a possible hero is set to cause some debate and is especially poignant with Easter approaching.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1610900.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,847 • Replies: 148
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:53 pm
I would be good if they could come up with other supporting manuscript copies\sources
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:58 pm
Strangely I've heard that theory before on a doco....that the whole thing was a plot by the two of them to make a martyr of Jesus. (If it was, it sure worked.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 12:15 am
Link to the original story:

Lost Gospel Revealed; Says Jesus Asked Judas to Betray Him

The Independent: History of Christianity: The Gospel according to Judas
Quote:
But most experts remain underwhelmed. "In a way we have been through these things before, with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi library," said Father Donald Senior, president of the American Catholic Theological Union, another of the prominent theologians at the launch.

"I think the most important thing will be to highlight the diversity of the early Christian community. But will it be a source of inspiration and teaching today? I doubt it."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:00 am
Guess some will never give up trying to disprove God. But, implying that Christ would involve Himself in a conspiracy is a bit much.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:07 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Guess some will never give up trying to disprove God.

I suppose, you're not well informed about the history of the different writings of the gospels, Momma Angel, and you didn't read the linked sources either.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:11 am
Walter,

I read enough to understand they were trying to disprove what the Bible says. I read enough to understand what is being said is that the story of Judas and Christ in the Bible is untrue. That's really all I needed to read.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:15 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Walter,

I read enough to understand they were trying to disprove what the Bible says. I read enough to understand what is being said is that the story of Judas and Christ in the Bible is untrue. That's really all I needed to read.

If ignoring facts helps you ...

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/04/07/1144392300_8163-1.jpg
http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,607150,00.jpg
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/04/07/1144392383_8238.jpg
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:21 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Walter,

The only thing required to disprove that trash is a modicum of intelligence.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:26 am
Wilso wrote:

The only thing required to disprove that trash is a modicum of intelligence.

That wasn't my point. I don't think these scripts give any evidence in that direction at all.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:40 am
At least it traces the development of theological thought however muddled it may be.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:40 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Walter,

Nobody was trying to disprove anything. They found an ancient writing from about the time of the life of Christ, and got it translated.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:06 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Guess some will never give up trying to disprove God. But, implying that Christ would involve Himself in a conspiracy is a bit much.

Isn't the nature of the entire story that Jesus was invovled? Jesus choose not to run but instead wait for the Romans to take him? Didn't Jesus conspire no matter what? I could go for the idea. I could also understnad why scripture of this nature would be taken out by the church.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:11 am
Jesus did not conspire in His crucifixion. He knew it was going to happen, yes. But He did not conspire with Judas to make it happen.

What seems rather odd to me is so many would cast aside the books of the Bible even though there are scrolls about them and yet they would accept this evidence? Seems rather one-sided to me. Why accept this at face value and not others?

And if that leaves me without a modicum of intelligence, so be it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:26 am
Momma Angel wrote:

What seems rather odd to me is so many would cast aside the books of the Bible even though there are scrolls about them

What you seem to be missing is that this is perhaps one of those scrolls, and that it's existence is in fact support for the events of the bible. Any jury would dismiss two identical stories as a conspiracy, but two similar but different stories are obviously supportive. You'd think you guys would be making the most of this, but it seems you can't see the woods for the trees. Paranoid perhaps.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 02:30 am
Not paranoid at all, Eorl. Just explain to me why other scrolls have not been accepted as truth (those supporting the Bible) and this one is seeming to be accepted and it is not in support of the Bible.

It just seems like some will accept anything that will refute the Bible in any way and if it leans toward the Bible, it is discounted.

Take for instance they are now trying to say Jesus walked on ice instead of water. Many will accept that at face value and will be proof to them that Christ was not who He was.

Just an observation.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:22 am
I listened to this story on NPR on the radio last night (thanks Edgar, you remined me to look it up) and I didn't get the impression it was a conspiracy at all.

I mean, if Christ knew he had to die, than what better person to ask to aid him in this end than one of his closest followers.

I've always thought Judas wasn't given a far shake in Christianity. Christ had to be betrayed, someone had to do it. The person chosen to do it, in my eyes, if you had to be someone very special to be chosen for this task.

This is just one of the many examples I think of the dangers (yes I said dangers) of believing in only the words written in the bible. Obviously there was other stuff going on.....for instance, if judas betrayed jesus, there is no explanation as to why....people are just supposed to accept that he betrayed a man he followed, with no explanation? I personally always wondered why, along with what I said above.

It's well estabilished fact that many writings have been destroyed or hidden. I'm not even going to start in on that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:25 am
Here's a link to the NPR story

NPR
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 04:48 am
I posted this thread to highlight the many books that were written at the time. The Bible is made up of the ones Christians eventually settled on out of the many they considered. My personal take, to avoid being confused as an acceptor of "Judas," is that I've never seen reliable evidence that he and Jesus even existed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:06 am
All this has been discussed since some years now. It only is in the spot light now due to the National Graphic exhibition/article.

Already about a year ago, a similar discussion was going on here in Europe about it - but that was observed obviously only by scientists and readers of the "international press".
0 Replies