I'm going to the protests!

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:49 am
Arguing passionately on A2K about immigration is strangely cathartic, but I am under no illusion that political arguments on A2K are effective other than to perhaps motivate people who already agree.

So, I am going to join the pro-immigrant protests next week.

This is a much better way to add support and to send a message both to the immigrant community, and to the country at large.

These large peaceful demonstrations are very effective at showing that immigrants legal and illegal alike are people, not invaders; building unity that gives strength to the political position of immigrants; and keeping the plight of families and workers in the public eye in a way that doesn't attack and demonize them.

Next week happens to be my 39th birthday, and we plan to celebrate after the protest in Boston. I figure that doing something I strongly believe in is a healthy way to deal with a mid-life crises (especially since I don't have money for a sports car).

If you are pro-immigrant this joining the protest is a great way to help and support. They will be in several cities next week and you can search for them. If you are in Boston, PM me if you would like to meet up.

This is a very important time for immigrants. Any support will be effective and appreciated.

I will post an account of the protest next week.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,428 • Replies: 26
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:03 am
Good on ya, ebrown. Tread safely, now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:07 am
Looking forward to your account!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
I always have, and will support legal immigration into America; I never have, and never will support illegal immigration into America.

Good luck with your protest!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:00 am
Yeah well, I support illegal immigration as I think it virtually impossible for poor people to immigrate legally. But perhaps I should drop that bomb in one of the many immigration debate threads.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:03 am
I agree with that. Also, I think one of the important things in this debate is what we do with them once they're here. Perfect world, nobody immigrates illegally, fine. But the world's not perfect, they DO immigrate illegally, then what?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:03 am
I just heard on the radio that they are close to signing a bill that allows illegal immigrants here more than 5 years to become legal, those here between 2 and 5 years have to leave first and then become legal and those here under two years just have to leave.

Kennedy and McCain have both initially approved.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:04 am
They are doing a test vote today.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:05 am
Please don't turn my protest/mid-life crises/ birthday thread into a political debate on legal vs. illegal immigration.

I am joining the protests because I think we should treat immigrants, both legal and illegal, with decency.

I understand that cyclo and others make a distinction between legal and illegal.

I wouldn't mind a discussion about the protests, or even about their efficacy. But I don't want a rehash of the already spirited immigration debate on other threads.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:06 am
<claps hand over mouth>

Happy birthday, ebrown!

Hey, can we see some new daughter pics? I bet she's a lot bigger than your avatar by now...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:06 am
Sure, np there.

I also think that everyone should be treated with equal human decency and respect, regardless of their legal/illegal citizenship status. My only hope is to reform our laws to bring about a situation that is both safe and open, if that is possible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:07 am
Good for you ebrown_p!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:12 am
Sorry ebrown. I had a hunch I shoulda kept my mouth shut.

Happy birthday! Hope you have some good walking shoes.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:26 am
ebrown_p, Have you ever been to a protest?

Wait till you see the difference of how it is projected on the news as opposed to how it actually is.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:24 pm
Amigo, not since I was a kid (had parents in the civil rights movement). How is it different?

(I suspect the TV version of reality is more important.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:27 pm
From my experience I'd say mostly a lot more boring. Laughing A lot of milling around between organized sections (if there are organized sections, depends on the protest -- this one sounds pretty big and well-organized).

And as Amigo said earlier (somewhere), a lot more normal people doing normal things than you usually see on the news.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:30 pm
You'll see. They might have one to match yours here in L.A.. I'll go to that one and we can both exchange notes here. Coast to coast. I'll have to find out.

My roomates watch T.V. like it's a window into the real word. Very strange and scarry.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 12:38 am
Re: I'm going to the protests!
ebrown_p wrote:
So, I am going to join the pro-immigrant protests next week.

I'd join you if I was currently in the US. Don't forget warm clothing. The weather is cold in Boston, and one major difference between demonstrations on TV and demonstrations in real life is that in real life they're much, much longer. (This is obvious once you think about it, but somehow I missed the point on my first demonstration.) Good luck!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 12:52 am
http://www.internationalanswer.org/

April 15: Mass Student March for Immigrant Rights
Amnesty! Full Rights for Immigrants! Down with HR 4437!

Saturday, April 15, 10 am
Olympic & Broadway, Los Angeles
March to City Hall
On Sunday, March 25, the largest demonstration took place in the history of California. Over 1 million people came out to denounce the racist Sensenbrenner-King Bill, which criminalizes the immigrant community. Similar mass protests have taken place across the country. The A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition mobilized and provided logistical support to the Los Angeles demonstration.

http://www.pephost.org/images/content/photos/large_43510.jpg

http://www.pephost.org/images/content/photos/thumb_43491.jpg
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:33 am
What a night!

We had some 7,000 people at Boston and to be part of such a large, passionate and diverse crowd is a powerful feeling. And the crowd was diverse, it looked about half Latino, with Asians and Hatians and Anglos all together, including a big looking group of guys waving Irish flags wearing tee-shirts which read "Legalize the Irish". (I was glad they were on our side).

For me one highlight was a speech from a Minister from the Boston Ten Point Coalition. They are an African American Evangelical Christian group that does a lot of work stopping violence. This minister said he wanted to make it very clear "The Black church, as far as it is represented by the Ministers of the Ten Point coalition..." is behind the rights of immigrants.

He spoke about the need for African-Americans and new immigrants to work together against the people who oppose the rights of both. This gave me a feeling of hope as people who understand the struggle for human rights, view immigrant rights as human rights.

After a too long time listening to speeches made more difficult by a poor sound system (you all warned me about the dull spots), we were off.

The marchers left the park with a singer singing "America the Beautiful" playing "and crown thy good with Brotherhood from sea to shining sea." This was quite a feeling.

One thing that surprised me (even disappointed me) was the lack of counter-protest. There were a couple of sad looking old guys standing quietly on the side of the street with signs. I tried to cheer one up by saying "God bless America!", but he just muttered something like "America's gonna need it" and didn't look very happy.

Once we got to the end of the march, the whole thing turned into a celebration. I think there were speeches, but it was impossible to tell (I think that any speeches were aimed at TV more than the crowd). There was music powered by latin drums and people mingling and kids playing.

I left feeling hopeful and energized. Social movements take time and not every day will be a celebration but there is real power here. There were both citizens and immigrants legal and "illegal" all together to work to make the US a more compassionate, welcoming and diverse place.
0 Replies