International Ice Hockey Championship - hooray!!!!

margo

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 01:27 pm
A Moondoggy sighting - you are privileged, Dag!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 01:31 pm
I suspect it is because somebody said R U G B Y!!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 01:42 pm
's true! Razz Confused

He must have rugby world word watch working!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:49 am
Switzerland - Slovakia
1 : 3

Yippeeeee!!!!

we are thus in semifinals! still ranking first overall. 'We' is Slovakia, my fair land, but of course (at least when it comes to hockey...)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:24 am
Congrats - but we were beaten by Canada:
Canada beats Germany 3-2 in OT !!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:25 am
Ooooh, painful. Them Canadians are a tough folk though. It is icy up there most of the year, that's just against fair play!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:32 am
No offense, Walter, but I'm happy for Canada: you Germans are too good in too many sports.
I'll root for Germany in baseball.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:37 pm
Actually, we are better this year then ever expected (although we did get the bronce medal in ????).

Actually, although the German baseball champion team is located just 15 miles from here, ... thanks for your support!

[Slowakia is 53th in the football ranking, btw - Iraq 54th. http://www.fifa.com/en/rank/main/country.html ]
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:56 pm
You mean futbol/soccer. Smile

I'm happy to see the US made the top 10!

What about women's rankings, though? I wonder how good that Iraqi or Afghani women's team is? Sad

No thanks to SARS, but it looks like the Women's World Cup 2003 is being moved here. Likely that several games will be played right down the street from me, at Stanford Stadium. That'll make my younger daughter happy, she lives and breathes soccer.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 01:14 pm
cjhsa,
I just opened a thread about women's soccer.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 06:11 pm
well, at least we beat iraq! in soccer, that is. i guess we are not that well built for soccer, them short and stout italians, dang it!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 11:02 am
dagmaraka wrote:
them short and stout italians, dang it!

Height of the Squadra Azzurra (from the Panini album):

Toldo 1.96 cm. (6' 4")
Maldini 1.87 cm (6' 2")
Cannavaro 1.76 cm (5' 9 1/2")
Nesta 1.87 cm (6' 2")
Materazzi 1.93 cm (6' 4 1/2")
Coco 1.81 cm (5' 11 1/2")
Zambrotta 1.81 cm (6')
Del Piero 1.73 cm (5' 8")
Totti 1.80 cm (5' 11")
Inzaghi 1.81 cm (5' 11 1/2")
Vieri 1.85 cm (6' 1")

I'm 5' 9". I guess I'd feel lilliputian among the Slovaks.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 11:04 am
BTW, dag, congratulations for beating the Czechs and winning the bronze medal.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 06:20 am
Yeah yeah, congrats to the canjuns for the goldmedal, too....

... swedish people get grumpy when we lose the final....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 06:38 am
We should name the looser, ehem, the winner of the silver medal as well - n'est-ce pas, bigdice - SWEDEN. Congrats.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 06:49 am
International Ice Hockey Championship - hooray!!!!
Thanks for the post. My ex-wife is from Finland and my son in law is from Sweden so I try to stay current. I have the IHWC site added to my favorites.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 07:03 am
Thanks, Walter!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 07:43 am
oh, i stopped following sometimes mid-week, i knew we lost and i thought all went down the tubes, but bronze i guess is nice, especially if the czechs are behind us, tee heee.
and a round of applause to swedes and canadians!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 03:26 am
fbaezer, with all due respect, some of your posts are completely false. I believe you had no bad intentions, but in that case you have completely wrong informations. European baseball, of course, cannot be compared with american professional baseball in any way. Also, you are quite right that Netherlands and Italy are two by far best european teams. But you still exaggerate too much (sorry if I spelled that wrong, but english is not my first language) - for a start, there are no results such as 42-1 in European championships, neither such as 27-0, especially since lately almost all countries use players of their origin from USA. Also, Belgium and Croatia, among other countries you mentioned are among the "best of the rest" in Europe. Actually, Croatia is only country (except Italy) that was close to beating Netherlands (for Americans: European championships are held every two years so that's the only time countries play against each other, I think it's important remark so that one would not think that Croatia or "Anyone" is playing Netherlands 42 times in one year), actually it was quite a stupid loss (leading by a run in ninth inning with two outs, empty bases, two strikes, no balls).

And, guess what, Netherlands and Italy are going to Olympics this year. Guess who failed! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:12 am
Welcome to A2K, MyOwnUsername!

In Germany, we have every the German Baseball Open, which a couple of national teams participating.

The next international match here in Germany is on July 9, vs. Czechia.

The European Baseball Federation shows up more.
0 Replies