International Ice Hockey Championship - hooray!!!!

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:33 pm
CURLING!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:40 pm
oh yeah! i knew it was something like hoopla...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 07:09 pm
hmmmm
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:09 pm
Well-- the hockey got more coverage than the Cricket World Cup, held in February in South Africa!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:02 pm
Chess is not Olympic.

Hurling I kinda understand: it's like bocce on ice. Not the most grueling sport, not much aesthetics, either.

Ice hockey, girls, is played almost everywhere. Even where there's no natural ice.
Usually they have 3 divisions. Mexico is the youth champion on division C, beating such powerhouses as Brazil, South Africa, Iceland, China and Bulgaria. and I believe they do have some ice in Iceland.

Baseball is one of America's biggest contributions to mankind.
Yet, the US team managed to lose against Argentina in the 1995 PanAmerican games. That's like Canada losing in Ice Hockey to South Africa.
European baseball is a riot. Only 2 countries play half decently: the Netherlands and Italy. In a recent European championship you saw scores like 42-1 or 27-0, against Belgium or Spain.

There also was a World Football Championship held in Italy a couple of years ago. Football meaning American Football, the one with touchdowns, first and tens, tackles, wide receivers, and played mostly with the hands.
The US refused to participate, with a valid argument: they said any US team could cause serious injuries to players of the other teams. Canadians said that if the US didn't play, they wouldn't play either.
Our national team -who got crushed 40-0 against a middle ranked US college squad- rampaged over Finland 87-0, beat Sweden by a similar score, defeated 28-7 the local Italians in the semifinals and surprisingly lost to Japan 6-0 in the finals.
So now you know: if they ask you what country holds the World (American) Football Championship, the answer is Japan.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:52 pm
Chess IS a recognised sport by the Olympic Committee.
All of these are:

I don't know about group C, but Russia was the winner of this year's juvenile ice-hockey world championship.

Quote:
RECOGNISED SPORTS LIST

Air sports Mountaineering and Climbing
Automobile Netball
Bandy Orienteering
Billiard Sports Pelote Basque
Boules Polo
Bowling Racquetball
Bridge Roller Sports
Chess Rugby
DanceSport Squash
Golf Surfing
Karate Tug of War
Korfball Underwater Sports
Life Saving Water Skiing
Motorcycle Racing Wushu
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:52 pm
wow
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:55 pm
hm, the quoting didn't quite work. Those are 2 columns. There ain't no Motorcycle Racing Wushu or Chess rugby. You get the idea.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:58 pm
hmmmm, chess rugby - now that's a sport I could follow....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:05 pm
Howz about some Automobile netball, or DanceSport Squash?
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 02:21 am
did somebody say Rugby on a Tuesday?
0 Replies

owi

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 06:11 am
cjhsa wrote:
The US is 3-3-0 and advancing to the next round, but with the NHL playoffs currently active (not to mention the NBA), I doubt most Americans have any idea this tournament is even being played.

The US team definitly will not advance to the next round. They lost all of their three games in the first round. Then they played relegation against Japan, Slovenia and Belarus. Theese games they won. If they had lost against Belarus they would have played in division B the next championships.

They already played their last game and leave the championships as 13th out of 16 nations.

btw. I think the winner will be either Finland(as hosts they have the crowd behind them), Slovakia(Pallfy is playing very well) or the Czech Republic(dominating hockey-nation of the last decade).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 09:01 am
I said rugby on a monday - hiya pup!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 09:06 am
Owi, you are very probably right, Slovaks are first right now, Czechs second, Fins third (in terms of points and victories), but quarterfinals are ahead and all can be changed.
Rugby, what rugby?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:34 am
OK, I must have misread that completely. Thanks for the clarification Owi, however, I still stand by the rest of my story.

In the same breath, I have to say that "hurling" and "karate tug of war" have me ROTFLMAO.

Laughing Razz Laughing Razz Laughing Razz Laughing Razz Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:37 am
Is there a Jamaican ice Hockey team?
0 Replies

owi

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:44 am
farmerman wrote:
Is there a Jamaican ice Hockey team?

At least there is no official one.

All IIHF members can be found here:

http://www.iihf.com/iihf/member/member.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 11:09 am
Dagmar

Chess is NO sports at Olympic Games (and never been):

Quote:
The current Olympic Games programme includes 35 sports and nearly 400 events.
There are also past Olympic sports and sports recognised by the Olympic Movement.

Summer sports:

Aquatics
Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Canoe / kayak
Cycling
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Winter sport

Biathlon
Bobsleigh
Curling
Ice Hockey
Luge
Skating
Skiing
http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/index_uk.asp

The USA are first in the Relegation Round, which means, they wont win a cup besides a privately bought coffee-mug.

N.B.: these games are the World Championship.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:16 pm
Hi Walter, I knew you would venture here! But, even though it sounds crazy, the chess is recognized by the Olympic Committee, I remember when they proclaimed it, we made fun of it for weeks after. It is from the same web you posted. Now I don't think it is actually played at the Olympics yet (thus it is not an Olympic sport), but they got one of the international sports federations recognized by the INternational Olympic Commitee - hence chess was recognized as a sport. So what do you know, maybe next Olympics the chess or the bridge, or wushu (whatever that is) will get the prime air time Laughing From the web:

RECOGNISED SPORTS

In order to promote the Olympic Movement, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) may recognise as International Sports Federations (IFs) international non-governmental organisations administering one or several sports at world level and encompassing organisations administering such sports at national level.

Learn more about the recognised federations

Recognition of the International Federations (IFs)

In order to be recognised, these organisations must apply the Olympic Movement Anti-Doping Code and conduct effective out-of-competition tests in accordance with the established rules. The recognition of IFs newly recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) shall be provisional for a period of two years or any other period fixed by the IOC Executive Board. At the end of such period, the recognition shall automatically lapse in the absence of definitive confirmation given in writing by the IOC.

As far as the role of the IFs within the Olympic Movement is concerned, their statutes, practice and activities must be in conformity with the Olympic Charter. Subject to the foregoing, each IF maintains its independence and autonomy in the administration of its sport.

RECOGNISED SPORTS LIST

Air sports Mountaineering and Climbing
Automobile Netball
Bandy Orienteering
Billiard Sports Pelote Basque
Boules Polo
Bowling Racquetball
Bridge Roller Sports
Chess Rugby
DanceSport Squash
Golf Surfing
Karate Tug of War
Korfball Underwater Sports
Life Saving Water Skiing
Motorcycle Racing Wushu

INTERNATIONAL SPORTS FEDERATIONS
The International Sports Federations apply sports rules and ensure the integrity of Olympic sports.
Learn more

Association of Recognised International Sports Federations
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:59 pm
Well, recognized sports ...

Venture isn't recognized up to now. :wink:
0 Replies