Leftist candidate worries Mexican elite

RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:08 pm
Pantalones wrote:
The situation's very tense, even here within my group of friends the opinion's divided.

We didn't get to vote, we went to 3 different special booths (the ones for people far from their assigned booth) at 1pm and none had enough voting cards for the people in line. People were in line since 8am and still hadn't gone in to vote.

Do you mind me asking you if you were going to vote right or left?
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:18 pm
Well well, so far, with 49.50% of the ballots processed, the right wing candidate, Felipe Calderón, is ahead by just 2.12% of the votes against the leftist candidate, Andrés Manuel López Obrador. However, its interesting to state that this slight advantage has been diminishing progressively from a 5% point lead that he had a couple of hours ago, to what it is now. If the rate continues, there should be an overturn.

Exciting.

Both candidates in their respective party meetings have stated that they won the election. Quite a mess.

Real Time Balloting
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:19 pm
I would've voted for a left.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:37 pm
Pantalones wrote:
I would've voted for a left.

Thanks

I like the right but I respect your choice.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:42 pm
Possible Senate distribution:

PAN: 54
PRD/PT/CD: 36
PRI/PVEM: 35/36
PANAL: 2
PASC: 0/1
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:42 pm
I don't trust any candidate who buys the peoples votes with the enticement of a handout.

People have to work for wealth it does not usually just fall in their lap. To play on peoples hopes falsely is deceptive.

Or is there something I am missing here in my assessment?
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:47 pm
Seems like the congress will have a new leading force, the PAN, with PRD in a moderate second place. PRI will settle on the third, for the first time.

With 55.68% of the ballots, the advantage of the PAN candidate is now 1.8%. I don't know how the new president will govern with 36-38% of the votes.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:02 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/29/world/americas/29mexico.html?ex=1309233600&en=0ae78c9459e7b337&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:06 am
I tend to agree with RexRed about handouts and the government as a nanny, even if I lean left, that's not the way to achieve social justice.
That's why I didn't vote for López Obrador, but for Patricia Mercado.

The big news, besides the tight race is the sinking of PRI.
They have won only 50 seats on the Chamber of Deputies, against 139 of the PAN and 111 of the populist-left coalition.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:13 am
Difference: 1.44%.

Someone is pooping in his pants... Razz
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:18 am
The suspense must be something else.

Doesn't this López bare a striking resemblance to Tony Soprano? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:22 am
That would be a compliment.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:23 am
Laughing
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:27 am
And why does he have four names?

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador

Does that make one more important than the common joe?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:29 am
It's very common in Mexico and many spanish-speaking countries to have two names and two surnames, generally one from the father and one from the mother, in that order.

I have 4 names as well.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:34 am
Pantalones wrote:
It's very common in Mexico and many spanish-speaking countries to have two names and two surnames, generally one from the father and one from the mother, in that order.

I have 4 names as well.

I did not know that.

That is more considerate to both families maternal and paternal. I like that.

I assumed it may have been a self proclaimed title.

But it is interesting to know the real reason. Thanks for explaining that.
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:35 am
And the other candidate too. Felipe de Jesus Calderón Hinojosa. Didn't know the "de Jesus" part untill I saw it in the ballots.

Brazilians seem to have an unlimited number of names! That IS an exageration.

Paul Enrique Reynaud Loustaunau.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:40 am
Quick deviation from thread:

Guinness World Record for longest name

Now that's an exaggeration.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:43 am
Well I am going to doze off I will keep the realtime result web page up so I can see it in the AM.

I pray that whatever way the election goes that the winner will rid Mexico of the problems that plague it's people and that Mexico's economy will prosper. I pray that Mexico and the US will be good complimentary neighbors for many years to come.

Goodnight all

rex
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:44 am
Wow Joe, you sure have spare time in your hands.

In between refreshes, I like to watch at least 3 minutes of anime... so refreshing.

Rex, I hope that too. Sad
0 Replies