I"m craving melted butter

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:12 pm
J_B wrote:
I haven't tried European butter, but I've seen it in stores. How is it different?

European butter is sweet and has a higher fat content due to the sweet
whipping cream added.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:12 pm
Almost anything at all except cardboard with some crushed garlic, some chili flakes, perhaps pepper, a simmering of, oh, sauvignon blanc... well, that is my adult self talking.

When I was a kid, my mother used to serve boiled potatoes steaming hot, and we'd add bits of ice cold butter....

I also used to eat Saltines with butter. Now you know I'm going to hell.

Really good biscuits, layered kind made by folding rolled cold dough and cold butter many times, and baking. Adding a tad of honey as you grab one of the hot ones just out of the oven.

A seriously good buttery croissant. These are harder to find than assumed. Used to be a place called The Buttery in Ocean Park..

I remember our first damned day in Rome, walking stricken, lurching even, with 35 or 42 hour awakeness to a local pizzeria. I can't remember what we ordered, it wasn't pizza since I didn't try that until some bowling alley outside of Firenze. But... what I remember is the couple next to us at the line up of tables.
They got some nice sized bowls, probably warm already, and an extremely hot, apparently, large bowl of spaghetti, and a bowl of butter, which they attacked repeatedly with big spoons, and then a fair sized bowl of parmigiano. They were lightening fast with the butter and cheese application and pasta toss.

Given that we were both near asleep that was a mesmerizing vision.

And, they weren't chubby.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:15 pm
Hmmm, my italian grocer slipped me some Irish butter to take home once... really really good. I've tried the irish butter from Costco a while back and then again recently, and... eh!

I suppose the primo butter is farm fresh that hasn't undergone modern hygienic procedures.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:16 pm
Ghee! i just like the name

Ghee is a clarified butter without any solid milk particles or water. Ghee is used in India and throughout the South Asia in daily cooking. A good quality ghee adds a great aroma, flavor and taste to the food.

Ghee can be great assets for people who are on low fat diet since even a lower quantity of ghee can add lot of flavor to the food than any other oil or fat products. According to the ancient Ayurveda, a moderate amount of ghee is the best cooking oil

Ghee can be generally found in the Ethnic section of any big grocery store or on any Indian/South Asian store. If you can not find ghee easily, we have given an easy way to make ghee below. When buying Ghee, be sure to buy Ghee from animal such as cow. Do not buy an artificial ghee made by hydrogenating vegetable oil.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:18 pm
Osso wrote:

Au contraire, osso. Your habit of eating saltines covered with butter has carved you a path to heaven.

Sometimes I will grab about twenty or thirty saltine crackers, cover them in butter, then place a small slice of cheddar cheese on each one.

Then I will sit down and slowly eat them, savoring each one as I go. Sometimes I will make little pleasurable grunting sounds.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:21 pm
I grew up on saltines with butter, osso.

I've seen European butter at Whole Foods. I'll try some.

The only reason I'm able to have this discussion is that I'm currently out of butter. Probably the only time in my adult life that I don't have any butter in the house.
0 Replies

Kuk

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:22 pm
I still say fried baby feet are the way to go.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:28 pm
Kuk wrote:

You forgot to "lol."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:30 pm
lol
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:32 pm
I haven't had saltines with butter in ages!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:32 pm
roflmao
0 Replies

Kuk

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:33 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Kuk wrote:

You forgot to "lol."

You forgot to drool and **** yourself, Captain Intelligence.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:35 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Osso wrote:

Au contraire, osso. Your habit of eating saltines covered with butter has carved you a path to heaven.

Sometimes I will grab about twenty or thirty saltine crackers, cover them in butter, then place a small slice of cheddar cheese on each one.

Then I will sit down and slowly eat them, savoring each one as I go. Sometimes I will make little pleasurable grunting sounds.

Would that be Cabot cheddar, by any chance, gus?

Heaven on a cracker!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:35 pm
Hmmmm.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:36 pm
Dagnabit - now I'm going to have to have more cheese.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:37 pm
dadpad wrote:
Ghee! i just like the name

Ghee is a clarified butter without any solid milk particles or water. Ghee is used in India and throughout the South Asia in daily cooking. A good quality ghee adds a great aroma, flavor and taste to the food.

... When buying Ghee, be sure to buy Ghee from animal such as cow. Do not buy an artificial ghee made by hydrogenating vegetable oil.

Does it have a higher smoking point because it's clarified?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:37 pm
Hmmm...I see we have a relationship made in heaven here.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:49 pm
Kuk wrote:
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Kuk wrote:

You forgot to "lol."

You forgot to drool and **** yourself, Captain Intelligence.

I got $50 on the Doo Hoo.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
Kuk. Kak. Ack!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:56 pm
I got $100 on the doo
0 Replies