New monitor-but no sound

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:24 pm
My monitor died this morning. I went to the computer shop and picked up a second hand CRT for $65 that works great. My old monitor had an extra plug, that plugged into the sound card. I didn't know what it did, only that the pink plug went into the pink hole. Now I'm thinking that it may have been providing power to my speakers. Does that sound right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,740 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:28 pm
Yes, it does make sense. I had a monitor that plugged in like that, but my first monitor and the one I have now don't have that feature, so it looks like you're going to need speakers that plug into your puter.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:18 pm
Pink generally is the microphone connection, green is speakers. Many monitors feature built-in mikes and/or speakers. If your speakers are not built into your monitor, your monitor has nothing to do with your speakers.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:21 pm
OK, I've just looked at my old monitor, and it does have a mic connection (5 years and I never saw it!). So why sound from the headphones, and not from the speakers?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:23 pm
Yeah, I was thinking about the green connection too. When I got my new puter, I couldn't get the speakers to work and it was because I plugged them in the wrong one.
They were suppose to go in the green one.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:23 pm
And what's the blue one?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm
Line in?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:32 pm
There's not even a static hum when I connect the speakers. The monitor has been dying for a while, and it's demise didn't really surprise me. But what's the odds of the speakers dying at exactly the same time. I don't like coincidences.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:35 pm
The speakers have also got a power plug, but it's never been connected to anything, and they've always worked. I don't know much about audio.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:38 pm
Do you have a green plug in thing in the back of your computer?

If so, try plugging the speakers in there, but you'll have to reboot your computer for it to work.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:12 am
That's where the headphones are plugged in. I'm a bit confused (a not uncommon occurence). The speakers and monitor were both from my old Packard-Bell. The monitor has got a plug for the speaker power supply, but I only removed the monitor this morning, and don't remember unplugging the power supply for the speakers. But since the speakers have a got an inbuilt volume control, that suggests they've got an amplifier, and needed a power connection. Which means I'll either have to find a 16v DC supply, or buy some passive speakers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:15 am
Most outboard computer speakers are wall-powered; they hafta be plugged in to a wall socket ... usually via a transformer or "wall wart".

On soundcards, blue typically is line in, black, if present, is rear speakers, and yellow, if present, subwoofer/center channel.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:17 am
Now I'm confused Laughing

Try taking your headphones out of the green one and connect the speakers there to see what happens.
Don't forget to reboot after you make the connection.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:18 am
Phew! Timber is here :-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:18 am
The speakers, passive or powered, hafta be plugged in toi the green jack on the soundcard - that's the speaker output.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:19 am
No rebooting should be necessary ... you're not changing anything in the machine or its software.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:21 am
Ok! Sorry about the bad advice, Wilso. I should know better than to try help in the copmputer world, lol.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:24 am
Not bad advice, just an unnecessary step. Won't hurt anything, but won't accomplish anything either.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:30 am
I've tried it. Plug the speakers in, and nothing. Plug the headphones back in, and it works fine. I've got the right jack, it must be the power requirement.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:42 am
Good luck with it, Wilso.
0 Replies