Why sippy cup makers should pay for my therapy.

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:32 pm
Because I hate them and the existence and availability of sippy cups is making me insane.

So I had Mo completely off the sippy cups then we went to visit family last year and every time Mo had something to drink they gave it to him in a sippy cup.

Eliminating the cursed things AGAIN was an absolute tragedy (according to Mo).

Finally I get him off the things but everywhere he goes people give him stuff in a sippy cup.

We will probably go visit family again this year and I am so dreading the sippy cup crap.

And it is almost impossible to <ahem> suggest <ahem> no sippy cups when we are visiting people and they don't want stuff spilled around their house. Truly, he doesn't spill much but accidents happen. At my house I don't care but I don't know what to do at other people's houses.

Mo is five. He starts school next year. I think he is too old for sippy cups.

But maybe I'm being unreasonable.

Please tell me the honest truth about sippy cups:

At what age should they be gone?

How do you handle situations where others give your kid drinks in a sippy cup?

How do I go about forcing the sippy cup makers to pay for my therapy (or at least a weekly massage)?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 15
No top replies

flushd

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:39 pm
LOL. Ok, too funny! I share your hate of sippy cups. I really do. Unless it's a toddler, be gone with those horrid things!!

I actually have a suggestion. Amazing, eh?!
When at family homes, simply ask for them to use a regular cup. Assure them that Mo will sit down at the kitchen table when he is drinking. No bringing the cup with him. He sits down to drink, and if he wants to go play, he leaves the drink there.

This is what I do when kids visit my apt. "Apt. Rules". :wink: Being a single gal, I don't want kool-aid on my stuff, but I also want the kids to have treats and stuff. Works well.

Still laughing......ridiculous sippy cups. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:44 pm
We have this thing that we got at the zoo or something (but they must be available to buy) that is a cup, a cover, and a "permanent" flexible plastic straw -- the straw fits tightly in the hole in the cover and it becomes spill-proof. Really works.

We take that if we're in a no-spill situation. Haven't used sippy cups in a while.

Not sure what I'd think if she still wanted to, though. She stopped liking them (too much work to get the drink out as opposed to drinking straight from a cup or with a straw -- she's a big fan of straws) before I had any particular opinion.

Would a straw dealie bother you? If not, it's handy to bring along in that kind of situation -- I think people would get the whole "no more sippy cups please" thing especially if you had a handy no-spill alternative at hand.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:45 pm
I like flushd's idea, too, about limiting where he can go with the drinks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:48 pm
I've seen those soz! They do work pretty good.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:57 pm
I blame Starbucks for making the adult version of the sippy cup a chic accessory.

I like the "no wandering" rule! That is certainly worth a shot. I don't want stuff spilled all over my house either but he's never going to learn is he continues to use sippy cups.

Right now at home we use an open cup with a straw. That seems to be okay.... until he goes somewhere and they give him a sippy cup. Then he can't understand why his beloved friend is forbidden at home.

I think those things are called sports cups, aren't they soz? I've always kind of worried that the straws would get funky - moldy and such. How do you keep them clean?

Where are the A2K grand dame's on this topic? They never had sippy cups for their kids! How did they manage?

I'd call my mom is she wasn't one of the chief sippy cup criminals I know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:04 pm
Hmmmm... I think, as kids, we were told to sit down and drink it. We pretty much drank in the kitchen and then went on our merry ways, sans cups. But, now I always have a drink with me, be it tea, juice, water, coffee....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:07 pm
http://www.playtexbaby.com/cupsandmealtime/products/stage4.asp

these made going from those awful sippy cups to regular 'type ' cups easy.

They travel well, and like soz suggested, they have a straw...

Now. how chick is that......... Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:40 pm
Yeah, you have to be aware so he doesn't have accidents, but, five is too old for them damn things.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:01 pm
The one we have, we just put the whole thing in the dishwasher. Comes out totally clean.

The "straw" is a bit thicker than a usual one, probably easier to clean that way.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 07:52 am
Reminds me of when I was Mo's age and my best friend was getting a bottle when she was sick. I was so jealous, I wanted to go to her house when I was sick just so I could have a bottle. Very Happy

I think it depends somewhat on the kid. M was sorta klutzy and would knock over/spill whatever she had in an open cup. She was given sippy cups much longer than K. Drinking at the table is a good idea with an open cup. Spills are isolated to one spot and probably better focus is being given to drinking the drink and not running around the house.

We used to swap nights out with my neighbors. Every month each couple would get one night out and the other couple would watch all four kids. On the nights I was watching her kids I would take them back to their house at bedtime and go through their regular nighttime ritual, which included a drink from a sippy cup. The kids were 7 and 9 when we stopped trading nights out. I think the seven year old was still using a sippy cup at the time.

If it's important to you that he not have sippy cups then draw a line in the sand with the relatives. Personally, I used them for quite awhile but I don't recall exactly what age I stopped. We had a couple of the screw-cap type for larger quantities. They had a flip top that you could close so there was no leaking if it tipped. The girls loved those things and, reminiscent of my childhood friend, I would use them when the girls were sick and laying down on the couch. K will be 16 in a few months and she still wishes we had one for when she's sick.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:10 am
only babies (note the sarcasm in my voice) use sippy cups....... bigger boys use curley straws. Bigger boys dont even want to use sippy cups.

Bigger boys sit at the table and use a Thomas the Tank Engine curly straw. But if your a baby well i suppose you have to use a sippy cup.

All the bigger boys I know sit at the table and use a curly straw. *puts curly straw on table next to cup and wals away leaving child to make up his own mind.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:29 am
No wandering around the house with an open drink.

It's still the rule at the hamburgers. Child or adult.

Sippy cups at 5? Mo wouldn't survive in our neighbourhood. The kids'd be all over him for that.

~~~~~

Oooh, I think we've got a couple of those cups with the lip and straw here. They came with drinks we got at the fall fair. We kept them to take on picnics - different from the sport thingies.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:14 am
Yeah, J_B, I know a lot of people who don't have sippy cup angst. It doesn't bother them at all for their kid to continue to use them.

It seems like everywhere but here, at home, he is given sippy cups so I can only suppose that many, many people think sippy cups are fine for 5 year olds.

I completely cut him off from sippy cups right before his 4th birthday. It took some coaxing but he gave them up pretty quickly. Then we went to visit family where he has a cousin who is one month older and she still used sippy cups.

So Mo wanted sippy cups.

We eased them out again when we got home.

But now when he goes to friend's houses or relative's houses they give him sippy cups and he wants them at home too.

It really makes me crazy.

The "big boy" persuasion holds absolutely no sway with Mo.

At home, Mo does not get sippy cups -- ever. He drinks from a regular cup, sometimes with a straw. I really don't even want to introduce another type of no-spill thing so I don't know about the straw cup things.....

It just makes me crazy to keep having to deal with sippy cup tantrums after he's been using one elsewhere. "Soandso let's me use them and so does Someone and I get to use one at Everybody's too..."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:16 am
I haven't been able to find the kind we have anywhere online. The lip and straw ones worked OK, but they were in fact difficult to keep clean. They had the advantage of being closeable, though.

The one we have is closer to a regular grown-up sports bottle with a straw, (though I haven't been able to find one of those, either, I know they exist). What this one is really closest to is a take-out beverage set-up made with more durable materials. Three separate pieces -- the cup, the top, and the straw (full-size, that fits in a hole in the top).

Dadpad, the "baby" stuff never works with sozlet -- she thinks it's fun to pretend to be a baby and would welcome a prop.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:18 am
I'm totally with you Mo
I used to work at Mencap for 3 years - that's basically kids who are REALLY Autistic, ADD, Cystic Fibrosis... that kinda thing
Only those who were (or acted as if they were) toddlers in arms were allowed to use sippy cups
I was soaked on almost a daily basis by kids who were messy drinkers or even liked to throw their juice away ... we had some real terrors
My point is that like a lot of stuff, like picking the kids up, even though it would have been easier to just give in we persevered cos it made life easier in the long run
0 Replies