Why isn't there an ignore function on A2K?

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:05 pm
How would you determine what is substance and what is fluff if you don't get everything.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Seriously, Eyremil. Posts get deleted all the time because someone has either said something rotten, or they delete their own posts. Does that help?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:09 pm
I'm trying to figure out what an ignore function or button would do. Are there some web forums where you can click a button and not see one particular forum member's posts?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:11 pm
Letty, the people who are the worst offender are the very ones who would never consider deleting their own posts. They consider themselvesto be original geniuses with a message that the world should hear or read.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:12 pm
Geniuses never makes mistakes; they're always right. Wink
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:15 pm
Perhaps it should be remembered that a post cannot be edited or deleted once someone else has posted afterward.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:17 pm
The way it works in some places, osso, is that putting someone on iggy makes them invisible to you. Some go a step further. When a certain number of people do it, that particular poster gets bounced. Probably not needed on a moderated forum, but every once in awhile. . . .
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:18 pm
Intrepid wrote:
How would you determine what is substance and what is fluff if you don't get everything.

I'll admit I tend to discriminate in this situation. Depending how extreme the posts in the first two/three pages are I'll disregard this user's posts further in the thread. (Or possibly permanently)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:21 pm
Diane, I understand that, honey, and have seen it happen constantly, but often I have seen the response from the mods (I'm assuming) that says:

This message has been sent to a restricted area or no longer exists, and of course, Intrepid is correct. Once a reply has been made the edit and delete functions are sterile.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:22 pm
Would this be done by thread or poster. Some posters do rant in particular threads and shine in others.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:25 pm
Aren't the conversations awfully choppy if you're not seeing many of the posts?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Diane wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Eryemil wrote:
Yes, for example, in the IMDb message boards if you ignore someone their posts won't be shown to you.

I was just wondering why this option is not available here.

It'd be handy since threads can grow so much in a2k. It is sometimes almost impossible to read the posts of interest because of all the fluff.
I'm trying to figure out what an ignore function or button would do. Are there some web forums where you can click a button and not see one particular forum member's posts?How would you determine what is substance and what is fluff if you don't get everything.
Letty, the people who are the worst offender are the very ones who would never consider deleting their own posts. They consider themselvesto be original geniuses with a message that the world should hear or read.
Geniuses never makes mistakes; they're always right. Wink
If we get the ignore function does that mean we lose the quote function. Because you KNOW even if you ignore someone they will be in one of those quoted posts that includes 13 previous posts.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:32 pm
Laughing Hey, how come MY post is the one ignored in the example? :p
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:33 pm
Maybe you were ranting.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:34 pm
Good point. Thanks for a voice of reason J_B :-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:36 pm
Not usually, J_B. Imagine a thread about an a2k gathering, just as a hypothetical. Now, imagine someone popping in every 4th post to let you know how much precious fuel will be consumed getting there. The continuity wouldn't be disturbed in the slightest.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:37 pm
Would make for an interesting read on a 2 poster thread.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:37 pm
er, good point, roger Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
I missed that Eryemil had explained the ignore function - oops.

I don't really want an ignore function here, now that I know what it is.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:48 pm
roger wrote:
Not usually, J_B. Imagine a thread about an a2k gathering, just as a hypothetical. Now, imagine someone popping in every 4th post to let you know how much precious fuel will be consumed getting there. The continuity wouldn't be disturbed in the slightest.

Ha, that was one situation that gave me pause before my just now typing that I don't want an ignore function....
0 Replies