What do you hope to see as a Democratic platform?

Diane

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:01 pm
The time is now. Unless the Dems put together a workable platform that is understandable and clearly an improvement over the Bush team (as far as the general public is concerned), we face another four years of dubya and untold destruction of our Constitutional rights, our environment and our relationship with the rest of the world.

What do think is necessary for a Democrat to win the next election?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,004 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Diane

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:36 pm
This is the kind of thing the Dems are up against. How do we compete without lowering our standards to those of the neocons?

RIGHT-WING THINK TANKS RULE DC: CONSERVATIVE thinktanks exert a considerable influence over the Bush administration and the US media. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3211.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:03 pm
Unfortunately, at least some Democrats may seek to outBush the President. It is my fervent hope at least one will have enough backbone to come up with something inventive, something that will catch the public's imagination. They will get only scant help from the media this time around.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:34 pm
Listening - can't think right now....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:52 pm
Edgarblythe, I fear you're right about trying to outBush Bush.

There is such a rich field of corruption and self-serving in this administration, that it would seem to be easy to put together a list of all the arbitrary legislation, civil rights abuses, religious incursions into government, corporate favoritism, etc.; the only problem I can foresee is that it might be hard to believe the atrocities on such a list, especially for anyone who hasn't kept up with the goings on of the Republicans.

Here is another link to a religious organization that has a quiet but strong influence in politics, especially in this administration. It shows the growth of out-of-the-public eye organizations that exert enormous power on the government.

I think that if the public is made aware of these secretive organizations, more people will actually start thinking and worrying about the increased power of the government and the long term plans for control, not only in this country, but in every country in the world.

Just getting these things out in the open air will help provide a long list of constructive changes that need to be made.

This is a long article, but I suggest reading it all the way through.

http://www.harpers.org/online/jesus_plus_nothing/jesus_plus_nothing.php3
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 08:13 pm
I couldn't read the whole thing this close to bedtime, nightmares, you know.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:30 pm
Following...
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:58 pm
Edgar,

Here's a link to the Week in Review section of the NY Times on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/weekinreview/04NAGO.html
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 09:59 pm
"It would be a mistake of the first order if the Democrats counted on the rhythms of 1992 to recur in 2004," said James Carville, who was Mr. Clinton's campaign manager. "The rhythms of 2004 are different than 1992, and if you try to dance to the rhythms of 1992, you'll be out of step."

The wisdom of James Carville...............
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 02:52 am
Historically, the Democrats have spoken to the concerns of the blue collar workers, the minorities and the poor. This might include: social security, protection of pensions, minimum wage, retraining of workers, and other issues defined in postings above. What specific planks would you recommend?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 07:42 am
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:00 pm
How about something like this, as for a 6th element, I say passing a Living Minimum Wage.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:23 pm
NeoGuin's link is a must read! It is from The Nation, written by Jim Hightower. Here is the paragraph to which he refers.....

PROGRAM: To get them, the party has to get a program, because (here's another wacky concept) people tend to vote when their self-interest is touched. So let's touch it, unabashedly and unequivocally, by offering a short to-do list that would include such measurable benefits as (1) a tax cut for working stiffs: remove the cap (now $85,000) on the grossly regressive payroll tax, reduce the percentage bite and spread the burden up to include the billionaires' club; (2) healthcare for all, provided by a single-payer system; (3) free education for everyone, preschool through higher ed, modeled after the enormously successful GI Bill; (4) energy independence for America through a ten-year moonshot project that'll put Americans to work building an oil-free future based on alternative technologies and systems; (5) public financing of all elections, so we can get our government back from the greedheads; and 6) [Add Your Favorite Here]. A six-pack is plenty. Stay focused.
I also fully agree about getting OUT of Washington, where all the Republicans and neocons have their power bases.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:29 pm
The proposed Democrat's program as proposed in NeoGuin's link:
Quote:
...a short to-do list that would include such measurable benefits as
(1) a tax cut for working stiffs: remove the cap (now $85,000) on the grossly regressive payroll tax, reduce the percentage bite and spread the burden up to include the billionaires' club;
(2) healthcare for all, provided by a single-payer system;
(3) free education for everyone, preschool through higher ed, modeled after the enormously successful GI Bill;
(4) energy independence for America through a ten-year moonshot project that'll put Americans to work building an oil-free future based on alternative technologies and systems;
(5) public financing of all elections, so we can get our government back from the greedheads; and
(6) [Add Your Favorite Here]. A six-pack is plenty. Stay focused.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 07:18 pm
And as I stated, a "Living Wage" would IMHO be an excellent 6th item.

Any other suggestions for the 6th?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 07:34 pm
NeoGuin, a living wage is a great idea, but is it workable? This is going to be such an important election that I think the platform needs to focus on plans that have a realistic chance of passing or the public will think of the Democrats as those typical, unrealistic idealists.

Why does there need to be six? This platform needs to be one that energizes people because they believe they have a winner. There has been so little enthusiasm for the Dems for the past few years. People drop like flies when they think they are backing a loser.

With a few strong issues that clearly will make a difference, there will be a new feeling of confidence in the party with a willingness to get out and work for a successful election.

At this point, I think health care is even more important than a living wage. Unfortunately, I don't think both issues can be addressed with vigor on one platform.

Arguments, please.
0 Replies