We can shake our babies now.

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
The article

New Scientific Evidence Refutes Existence of Shaken Baby Syndrome

Hundreds of people are in jail based on unjust convictions for causing the so-called "shaken baby syndrome."

New scientific work reveals that people convicted of causing the shaken baby syndrome are probably innocent. It turns out that the syndrome, strictly defined, is based on medical inferences recently proven faulty.

If a baby dies suddenly and the cause of death is found to be bleeding inside the skull without other injuries, it's become standard practice for doctors to diagnose these observations as the "shaken baby syndrome" and for police to assume that severe shaking of the baby severely harmed and killed the baby.

Based on this presumption, police usually suspect the last person alone with the baby as having killed the baby. This person is often accused of murder - even when medical and other evidence points elsewhere.

For example, babysitters have been charged with harming infants when subsequent tests show a chronic subdural hematoma that originally developed long before the babysitter even saw the child.

( continued in the above link )

My thought on this is what i have had since I began to learn about shaken baby syndrome.
It isnt possible to cause only brain damage and no neck damage shaking a baby.
This article backs up my every thought.

Too bad we cant go back and check the convicted for possible innocence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,061 • Replies: 29
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:00 am
Good news, since I like my babies shaken, not stirred.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:04 am
I've always had my doubts about it, though I can't really think of a good reason to shake a baby unless you're trying to revive them or something.

I'm still curious though, as to what could cause the deaths. Babies bump their heads a lot. Is it possible that something like that happens, causes and undetected injury, which then gets worse as the baby continues to do what babies do?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:16 am
Saying it's OK to shake babies based on that study is stupid and dangerous. I speak as someone who works with researchers in this realm. One study proves nothing...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:22 am
I think the title was said in jest, D'art.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:27 am
When you look at the date when published - it's an older report.

There have been several more reports/articles in that publication by the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons.

I've copied/pasted the conclusions from a more recent one, published by them as well:

Reflections on "Shaken Baby Syndrome": A Case Report by Jane M. Orient, M.D., Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons Vol. 10 No. 2, Summer 2005

Quote:
It appears that the tragedy of sudden infant death is being
compounded by the destruction of hundreds or thousands of
families by unwarranted prosecutions and imprisonment. The
medical profession is complicit in the travesty of justice by
providing .expert. testimony asserting a level of certainty that
cannot exist in view of recent controversy in the literature and a
critical look at the evidence base. An adult who has the misfortune
of being alone with an infant at the time of death is at grave risk.
The .well-connected chain of circumstances. invoked in court
posits that the accused could have shaken the infant just ferociously
enough to cause a subdural hematoma and DAI.but not hard
enough to produce evidence of head impact, neck injury, or bruises
from tightly holding onto the body.and that the event had to have
occurred during the window of time when he or she was alone with
the child. This is an hypothesis.a highly improbable one.not
proof.
An alternate hypothesis is that the infant had a condition that
made it vulnerable to apneic attacks and hemorrhage, either
spontaneously or with minimal provocation as from coughing or
normal handling.
A medical review, with particular attention to vaccine history,
should be done on all cases that have resulted in an investigation,
prosecution, or conviction for SBS. But even before such a study

can be done, the mere possibility of a vaccine connection demands
vigilance and preventive measures. Inexpensive apnea monitors
are technologically feasible and should be widely used. Based on
the results reported by Kalokerinos, a dose of vitamin C with every
vaccine is a reasonable precaution. Additionally, the vaccine
schedule should be reviewed, as should the practice of giving
multiple vaccines on one visit, or any vaccine to a child who is ill.
If child abuse is suspected, a careful differential diagnosis
must be done, after a nonthreatening medical interview.as
opposed to a police interrogation.of the parents and caregivers.
The physician should consider the possibility of a vaccine
reaction. Fundus photography and levels of plasma ascorbic acid
and whole-blood histamine are indicated (on admission, before
vitamin repletion) as part of the medical workup and the forensic
investigation.At autopsy, evidence of blunt head trauma should be
sought with special care, and the neck and cervical cord should be
carefully examined.
Convictions and lengthy prison terms for bereaved parents on
.evidence. like that in the Yurko case also signify deep trouble in
the criminal justice system, which makes a mockery of the
presumption of innocence. The need to prove a mens rea and to
demonstrate guilt .beyond a reasonable doubt. have become empty
pretenses inAmerican jurisprudence
.Source
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
Why would anyone shake a baby to begin with?

There never could be scientific evidence that it doesn't
harm a baby. Such studies do more harm than good. Sad
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:42 am
I doubt that anyone would read these studies and commence to shaking their babies. It's more about assuming that a baby was shaken because their symptoms are similar to other babies who were assumed to have been shaken, with no real evidence in either case. Nobody has actually done studies to see if shaking a baby can kill it (for good reason) so the whole syndrome is based on a guess. Nevertheless many people have gone to jail for it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:52 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Nevertheless many people have gone to jail for it.

I doubt that doctors diagnose abuse purely on the basis of one symtom or courts don't consider various evidence as well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:57 am
I hope that that's true.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:01 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I doubt that doctors diagnose abuse purely on the basis of one symtom or courts don't consider various evidence as well.

A number of cases in Ontario are being re-reviewed as not enough evidence was considered.

Dr. Smith oops oops oops

injusticebusters

gov't site - to kinda support injusticebusters
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 04:14 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Saying it's OK to shake babies based on that study is stupid and dangerous. I speak as someone who works with researchers in this realm. One study proves nothing...

im sorry.
the title of the thread was not ment to offend... just attract attention.

You are absolutly right.
One study does nothing to PROVE much of anything.

But, given the outlines for 'diagnosing' shaken baby syndrome, this study means alot.

There are a few blood disorders that could cause a "sids" like death AND could be mistaken for shaken baby syndrome.
Wich, in turn, could jail an innocent person.

Shaking a baby is nothing anyone should ever do.
It is sad that studies like this have to happen to prove to someone NOT to shake a baby..
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 04:20 pm
No problem, shewolf. I think I overreacted...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 04:24 pm
I am editing because , I cant get my point across very well.

it may take me a minute..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 04:28 pm
oh, you didnt over react by the way. ;-)
I absolutly understand where you are coming from
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 05:25 pm
I had a similar thought about the title and was going to write something to clarify..

Obviously, shaking a baby can break its neck, among other things. I have no idea about possible subtle physical brain injuries from it, or the timing of those.. but can see that some assumptions may have been made about some baby deaths that shouldn't have been made.

Aside from the physical danger aspect, I'd think shaking a baby would be a dastardly thing to do psychologically. Not to mention power imbalance...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:37 pm
To assume and declare that shaking babies does not cause harm based on one article quoting one source is quite concerning.

I shall run this article past the expert doctors here and see what they have to say.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
This doctor works for the Discovery Institute.

Here are some things available on tyhe net re this body;

"The Discovery Institute

Genesis Of 'Intelligent Design'

By Steve Benen

While supporters of church-state separation frequently consider groups such as the Christian Coalition and Family Research Council their principal adversaries, the Discovery Institute has quietly positioned itself as the most effective and politically savvy group pushing a religious agenda in America's public school science classes.

Founded in 1991 by former Reagan administration official Bruce Chapman, the Seattle-based Institute has an operating budget of over $2 million. "Intelligent design" creationism has become such a central feature of the organization's work that it created a separate division, the Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture, to devote all of its time to that cause.

The Institute enthusiastically endorses what law professor and ID champion Philip Johnson calls the "wedge" strategy. (See "Insidious Design," page 8.) The plan is straightforward: use intelligent design as a wedge to undermine evolution with scientific-sounding arguments and thereby advance a conservative religious-political agenda.

To promote the concept, the Institute works with 48 fellows, directors and advisors who are responsible for producing research, publishing texts and hosting conferences. The Institute team includes some of the biggest names in the ID movement. Johnson serves as an advisor, while Michael Behe, David Berlinski, William Dembski and Jonathan Wells are senior fellows. All of them have advanced degrees from respected universities, giving the group a level of credibility generally denied to fundamentalist creationists at the Institute for Creation Research and Answers in Genesis Ministry.

Legitimate scientists reject the validity of intelligent design concepts, however, and are unimpressed with Institute activists' credentials.

"They're trying to make it appear like they're scientists who just disagree with other scientists," said Lawrence Krauss, professor at Case Western Reserve University. "A number of them have scientific credentials, which helps, but in no sense are they proceeding as scientists."

Over the last decade, nearly every book used in the intelligent design movement has either been distributed by the Institute or was written directly by one of the group's scholars. Of Pandas And People, Icons Of Evolution and Darwin's Black Box are all staples on the Discovery bookshelf. Institute representatives are well aware of legal restrictions on religion in public schools, so they rarely use theological criticisms of evolution in their work. Behe, for example, is a Catholic with eight home-schooled children. When asked about creationism in a February interview on National Public Radio, he said it isn't his area of expertise.

"To tell you the truth, I'm not real knowledgeable about creationism," Behe said.

The strategy of making ID appear scientific, and not religious, is intentional. The Institute's Stephen Meyer co-authored an article in the Utah Law Review in 2000 critiquing the legal landscape. While Meyer noted that the Supreme Court prohibits traditional creationism from public schools because it is based on biblical literalism, he wrote that excluding intelligent design, with its "scientific" underpinnings, would be tantamount to "viewpoint discrimination."

In order for that scheme to work, ID advocates at the Discovery Institute try desperately to hide a religious agenda. Occasionally, however, one of the Institute's fellows will slip and speak his mind.

Two years ago, at a National Religious Broadcasters meeting, the Discovery Institute's Dembski framed the ID movement in the context of Christian apologetics, a theological defense of the authority of Christianity.

"The job of apologetics is to clear the ground, to clear obstacles that prevent people from coming to the knowledge of Christ," Dembski said. "And if there's anything that I think has blocked the growth of Christ [and] the free reign of the Spirit and people accepting the Scripture and Jesus Christ, it is the Darwinian naturalistic view.... It's important that we understand the world. God has created it; Jesus is incarnate in the world."

The Institute's religious agenda has won it the backing of wealthy financiers and foundations. For example, California multi-millionaire Howard F. Ahmanson Jr., has singled out the Discovery Institute for big contributions. (Ahmanson is aligned with Christian Reconstructionism, an extreme faction of the Religious Right that seeks to replace democracy with a fundamentalist theocracy.)

The Institute also has friends on Capitol Hill. In May 2000 the Institute held a briefing in the Rayburn House Office Building that attracted members of Congress and their staffs. Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) spoke at the event.

Though the Discovery Institute describes itself as a think tank "specializing in national and international affairs," the group's real purpose is to undercut church-state separation and turn public schools into religious indoctrination centers. That's unlikely to change anytime soon.

As Institute President Bruce Chapman told The Washington Times, "[Intelligent design is] our number one project.""

http://www.au.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5582&abbr=cs_

More:

Wikipedia;

"The Discovery Institute is a conservative Christian think tank[1], structured as a non-profit educational foundation, founded in 1990 and based in Seattle, Washington, USA. Its areas of interest, social and political action include intelligent design, public school education, and transportation and bi-national cooperation in the international Cascadia region. Financially, the institute is a non-profit organization funded by philanthropic foundation grants, corporate and individual contributions and the dues of Institute members."

continues here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Institute

"Feature
Discovery Institute's "Wedge Project" Circulates Online

by James Still

A recently-circulated position paper of The Center for the Renewal of Science & Culture (CRSC) reveals an ambitious plan to replace the current naturalistic methodology of science with a theistic alternative called "intelligent design."

The CRSC, a program launched by the Discovery Institute in 1996, is the major force behind recent advances in the intelligent design movement. The Center is directed by Discovery Senior Fellow Dr. Stephen Meyer, Associate Professor of Philosophy at Whitworth College. Its mission is "to replace materialism and its destructive cultural legacies with a positive scientific alternative." The Discovery Institute hopes that intelligent design will be the usurper that finally dethrones the theory of evolution.

On March 3, 1999, an anonymous person obtained an internal white paper from the CRSC entitled "The Wedge Project," which detailed the Center's ambitious long-term strategy to replace "materialistic science" with intelligent design. The paper describes the CRSC's mission with a sense of urgency:

"The social consequences of materialism have been devastating. As symptoms, those consequences are certainly worth treating. However, we are convinced that in order to defeat materialism, we must cut it off at its source. That source is scientific materialism. This is precisely our strategy. If we view the predominant materialistic science as a giant tree, our strategy is intended to function as a "wedge" that, while relatively small, can split the trunk when applied at its weakest points. The very beginning of this strategy, the "thin edge of the wedge," was Phillip Johnson's critique of Darwinism begun in 1991 in Darwinism on Trial, and continued in Reason in the Balance and Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds. Michael Behe's highly successful Darwin's Black Box followed Johnson's work. We are building on this momentum, broadening the wedge with a positive scientific alternative to materialistic scientific theories, which has come to be called the theory of intelligent design (ID). Design theory promises to reverse the stifling dominance of the materialist worldview, and to replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions."

The white paper created quite a buzz among many skeptics after it was widely circulated on the Internet. However, CRSC Senior Fellow and Director of Program Development Jay Richards said that the mission statement and goals had been posted on the CRSC's web site since 1996. Richards also said, "the general concept of the 'Wedge' is described in Phillip Johnson's book Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds." Richards neither confirmed nor denied the authenticity of the document, but he believed that the paper was an "older, summary overview of the 'Wedge' program." Much of the boilerplate content of the paper is posted on the CRSC's web site.

The document in its present form looks to have been written very recently. It sets a target to "accomplish many of the objectives of Phases I and II in the next five years (1999-2003)." If 2003 ends a five-year plan, the paper was probably written or revised in 1998 or 1999. Despite the date of its authorship, however, and even if nothing new is revealed in the paper, proponents of naturalism and science are right to be concerned about its contents.

The paper outlines a "wedge strategy" that has three phases. Phase I, "Scientific Research, Writing, and Publicity" involves the Paleontology Research Program (led by Dr. Paul Chien), the Molecular Biology Research Program (led by Dr. Douglas Axe), and any individual researcher who is given a fellowship by the Institute. Phase I has already begun, the paper argues, with the watershed work of Phillip Johnson, whose Darwinism on Trial sparked the intelligent design movement. The Center hopes that more Christian scientists will step forward and engage in research that would support the intelligent design theory.

Phase II, "Publicity and Opinion-Making" involves communicating the research of Phase I. The Center plans to do this through book tours, opinion-making conferences, apologetics seminars, a teacher training program, use of opinion-editorials in newspapers, television program productions (either with Public Broadcasting or another broadcaster), and the printing of publications to distribute. Phases I and II are to be implemented over the next five years (1999-2003). Phase II is

"to prepare the popular reception of our ideas. The best and truest research can languish unread and unused unless it is properly publicized. For this reason we seek to cultivate and convince influential individuals in print and broadcast media, as well as think tank leaders, scientists and academics, congressional staff, talk show hosts, college and seminary presidents and faculty, future talent and potential academic allies. Because of his long tenure in politics, journalism and public policy, Discovery President Bruce Chapman brings to the project rare knowledge and acquaintance of key op-ed writers, journalists, and political leaders. This combination of scientific and scholarly expertise and media and political connections makes the Wedge unique, and also prevents it from being 'merely academic.' Other activities include production of a PBS documentary on intelligent design and its implications, and popular op-ed publishing. Alongside a focus on influential opinion-makers, we also seek to build up a popular base of support among our natural constituency, namely, Christians. We will do this primarily through apologetics seminars. We intend these to encourage and equip believers with new scientific evidence's that support the faith, as well as to "popularize" our ideas in the broader culture."

Phase III, "Cultural Confrontation and Renewal" begins sometime in 2003 and may take as long as twenty years to complete. It involves three things: (1) "Academic and Scientific Challenge Conferences"; (2) "Potential Legal Action for Teacher Training"; and (3) "Research Fellowship Program: shift to social sciences and humanities". The white paper describes Phase III as the renewal phase because it seeks to fill the void left behind by materialistic evolution (attacked in Phase II) with its own intelligent design model:

"Once our research and writing have had time to mature, and the public prepared for the reception of design theory, we will move toward direct confrontation with the advocates of materialist science through challenge conferences in significant academic settings. We will also pursue possible legal assistance in response to resistance to the integration of design theory into public school science curricula. The attention, publicity, and influence of design theory should draw scientific materialists into open debate with design theorists, and we will be ready. With an added emphasis to the social sciences and humanities, we will begin to address the specific social consequences of materialism and the Darwinist theory that supports it in the sciences."

The Wedge Project white paper ends with a detailed summary of progress-to-date, including goals for the future.

When asked if he worried that Phase II will seem like a heavy-handed spin and that no one will take the work accomplished in Phase I seriously, Richards said that the publicity will not drive the scholarship but that the scholarship will come first and foremost. "There are already too many programs that opt for the former over the latter," he said, "we don't wish to be one of them."

While the goal of putting scholarship ahead of public relations is a noble one, the paper's overall tone and rugged timetable seems to belie that point. The reintroduction of theism into public discourse in Phase III is set to begin sometime in 2003. But before Phase III can begin, Phase II must have already dethroned naturalism through a vigorous public relations and opinion-shaping campaign. This puts the cart before the horse. When will there be time to conduct careful research? Science is supposed to be a vehicle that provides the reason to believe that intelligent design is a better explanation than naturalism. To think that a scientist must reach his or her conclusions within a five-year span of time, running concurrent with a public relations campaign, is hardly good scientific practice. Not only will it put unnecessary pressure on the scientist to reach conclusions before the data warrants it, but it ignores the very nature of the scientific enterprise. Often it takes years before the findings in science are fully understood and many more before the results are applied to real-world problems.

Another problem with the CRSC's plan is that it seeks to replace evolutionary theory at a time when the theory enjoys nearly unanimous support in the scientific community. Thomas Kuhn, in his The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, describes what has happened historically when one theory comes to replace another. He writes that the anomaly of an insufficient theory will have "lasted so long and penetrated so deep that one can appropriately describe the fields affected by it as in a state of growing crisis . . . the emergence of new theories is generally preceded by a period of pronounced professional insecurity." Kuhn's point is clear. Before a new theory in science is sought, there is usually a growing crisis coupled with mounting skepticism, doubt, and the elucidation of cogent reasons for thinking that the existing theory is inadequate. Where is the growing crisis that casts doubt on evolution and methodological naturalism, the tool that led to the theory of evolution? Aside from a few participants in well-publicized Templeton-funded conferences, scientists experience no insecurity with their current methods. Even if the theory of evolution were inadequate, why should we expect the scientific community to turn to theistic explanations?

Sometimes, scientific discovery is an accidental byproduct of other research. In 1895, Professor Wilhelm Conrad Ršntgen discovered the x-ray quite by accident, when he found that some kind of invisible ray was passing through his cardboard shield. Over the next several weeks he ate and slept in his lab to prepare his paper "On a New Kind of Rays" for the Proceedings of the Physical Medical Society, which was published that year. However, Professor Ršntgen was pursuing science to no particular dogmatic end. He didn't know where his discovery would lead, but rather he understood that the pure pursuit of knowledge was an end in itself. This anecdote is typical of all scientific research from Aristotle's initial forays into zoology, to Galileo's observational astronomy, and most dramatically in the twentieth-century, to the discovery and use of penicillin. The assumption of methodological naturalism and the use of the scientific method has led to an incredible advance in our understanding of the world around us.

The fruits of science can never be anticipated ahead of time nor can the scientific enterprise be placed on a regimented schedule. Science must be left to operate on its own, unencumbered by the perceived need for public relations, focus groups, talk-shows, and public opinion polls. This is not to say that science should not use modern media outlets to communicate its results. However, the CRSC seems to have placed the public relations work of Phase II ahead of the need for an actual scientific theory worth sharing with the world. When the medium becomes the message we are right to suspect that the message lacks substance. There is something strange going on, for instance, when the Templeton Foundation stages huge media events to present the illusion that science has found God. As University of Hawaii physicist Victor Stenger commented in the March issue of ii, only smoke and mirrors lay behind last summer's media circus over science and God. Scientists who do real science bracket God out of the enterprise altogether and for good reason: it works. Natural explanations are far more satisfying to us than supernatural conjectures.

The CRSC's plan to bring down the scientific enterprise in favor of "intelligent design" seems motivated by the fear that human meaning is somehow diminished if science continues to flourish. However, human dignity and meaning can be diminished only by ignorance. Goethe's Mephistopheles realized this truth as well when, as translated by Steven Schafersman, he proclaims in Faust:

Despise reason and science,
humanity's greatest strengths,
indulge in illusions and magical practices
that reinforce your self-deception,
and you will be unconditionally lost!....."

Continues:

http://www.infidels.org/secular_web/feature/1999/wedge.html

Kind of interesting......not sure if the research posted abiut baby shaking relates to this agenda, but I am now intrigued, to say the least.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:57 pm
I don't think for a second that Shewolf meant you can shake babies, I think she posted the title fast and assumed we would all get that she wasn't suggesting we could shake them.. but just riffing.

but it does worry me a bit re some confused newbie not getting it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 07:59 pm
Oh, I just read that, Dlowan. Interesting potential implications...
0 Replies