WH Shakeup! Andrew Card Resigns

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:33 am
Quote:

By TERENCE HUNT

AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON (AP) - White House chief of staff Andy Card has resigned and will be replaced by budget director Joshua Bolten, President Bush announced Tuesday amid growing calls for a White House shakeup and Republican concern about Bush's tumbling poll ratings.

Bush announced the changes in an nationally broadcast appearance in the Oval Office.

``I have relied on Andy's wise counsel, his calm in crisis, his absolute integrity and his tireless commitment to public service,'' Bush said. ``The next three years will demand much of those who serve our country. We have a global war to fight and win.''

Card stood stoically with his hands by his sides as Bush lauded his years of service through the Sept. 11 attacks, war and legislative and economic challenges. Gripping the podium, Card said in his farewell: ``You're a good man, Mr. President.'' Card's eyes were watery. Card said he looks forward to just being Bush's friend. Bush then gave him five quick slaps on the back and the two walked out of the Oval Office together.

The president called Bolten a man with broad experience, both on Wall Street and in Washington, including the last three years as director of the Office of Management and Budget.

``Josh is a creative policy thinker,'' Bush said. ``He is an expert on the budget and our economy. He is a man of candor and humor and directness. No person is better prepared for this important position.''

``I'm deeply honored now by the opportunity to succeed Andy Card as White House chief of staff,'' Bolten responded. ``I said, 'Succeed Andy Card, not replace him,' because he cannot be replaced.''

The move cames as Bush is buffeted by increasing criticism of the drawn-out war in Iraq and as fellow Republicans have suggested pointedly that the president bring in new aides with fresh ideas and new energy.

Card came to Bush recently and suggested that he should step down from the job that he has held from the first day of Bush's presidency, said an administration official earlier.

Bush decided during a weekend stay at Camp David, Md., to accept Card's resignation and to name Bolten as his replacement, said the source who spoke on condition of anonymity because he did not want to pre-empt the president.

Bolten is widely experienced in Washington, both on Capitol Hill as well as at the White House, where he was deputy chief of staff before becoming director of the Office of Management and Budget.

At a White House news conference last week, Bush was asked about rumors that a shake up in the White House staff was in the works. Bush said he was ``satisfied with the people I've surrounded myself with.''

``I've got a staff of people that have, first of all, placed their country above their self-interests,'' he said at the time. ``These are good, hard- working, decent people. And we've dealt with a lot. We've dealt with a lot. We've dealt with war. We've dealt with recession. We've dealt with scandal. We've dealt with Katrina.

``I mean, they've had a lot on their plate. And I appreciate their performance and their hard work and they've got my confidence,'' he said.

Bush said, ``I'm satisfied with the people I've surrounded myself with. We've been a remarkably stable administration, and I think that's good for the country.''

A veteran of the administrations of both President Ronald Reagan and the first President Bush, Card was widely respected by his colleagues in the Bush White House. They fondly called him ``chief.''

He usually arrived at work in the West Wing by around 5:30 a.m. and frequently did not leave until 9 or 10 p.m.

Card plans to stay on the job until April 14, when the switch with Bolten takes place.

Associates said that Card, who was secretary of Transportation and deputy chief of staff, had wanted to establish himself as the longest serving White House chief of staff. James Steelman, who was President Harry S. Truman's chief of staff, had served for six years and Card's tenure will have gone not much longer than five years.

A recent AP-Ipsos Poll found that Bush's job approval has dipped to 37 percent, his lowest rating in that poll. Nearly 70 percent of people say the U.S. is on the wrong track, a six-point jump since February. Bush's job approval among Republicans plummeted from 82 percent in February to 74 percent, a troubling sign for the White House in an election year.

I haven't finished my first cup of joe but if my groggy memory is correct it was Card who wanted Rove out. I do know that Card was exhausted, working 20 hours a day trying to keep a sinking ship afloat. Bush appointed an insider rather than someone outside who might have improved his poll numbers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 570 • Replies: 8
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:49 am
Five facts about new chief of staff Bolten
I have just one question: Does Josh Bolten have what it takes to stand up to Karl Rove and Dick Cheney? ---BBB

FACTBOX-Five facts about new chief of staff Bolten
Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:24 AM ET

March 28 (Reuters) - Following are five facts about Joshua Bolten, chosen by President George W. Bush on Tuesday to be the new White House chief of staff.

-- Known as Josh, he became director of the Office of Management and Budget after serving as deputy chief of staff in the White House from 2001 to 2003.

-- A former executive at Goldman Sachs in London, Bolten left that job in 1999 to become policy director for George W. Bush's 2000 presidential campaign and was one of the few non-Texans among the inner circle of the early campaign staff.

-- Known for working long hours, and in his spare time riding motorcycles and playing bass guitar in a band, he served as policy director during the Bush-Cheney transition.

-- A lawyer, Bolten served as general counsel to the U.S. Trade Representative's Office and was a White House liaison to Congress during the administration of the first President George Bush.

-- Bolten is a native Washingtonian and son of a CIA officer; he graduated from St. Albans prep school, Princeton University and Stanford Law School.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:04 am
Quote:
Under Bolten's Leadership, Federal Debt Ballooned By $1.8 Trillion In 34 Months

$6.592 trillion: Federal debt on June 26, 2003, the day Josh Bolten became director of the Office of Management and Budget.

$8.364 trillion: Federal debt today.

In the Bush administration, this is grounds for a promotion.

(Figures can be verified at the think progress site.)

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/03/28/bolten-debt-balooned/
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:40 am
Revel
A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

a.. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

b.. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

c.. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.

d.. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

e.. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate
our government is spending it.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
While these guys are busy rearranging the deck chairs, the Titanic continues rapidly to take on water...
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 01:44 am
You can only enhance an ugly person so much with style change, dress makeover and posture. But an ugly persona inside is even harder hoe to dig.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:13 am
So... Did he want to spend more time with his family?

Or, is he involved in the Plame leak?

Or, is something getting ready to be revealed about his involvement with Abramoff?

Or, is there something new we don't know about yet?

Any wagers?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:45 am
squinney wrote:
So... Did he want to spend more time with his family?

Or, is he involved in the Plame leak?

Or, is something getting ready to be revealed about his involvement with Abramoff?

Or, is there something new we don't know about yet?

Any wagers?

Probably all of the above and none of the above. Card could not be in the position he is in without being involved in everything that happened in the White House in some way. He is from Massachusetts, a former member of the state legislature, and is well remembered up here. The current Republican governor (Romney) is not running for reelection and there is talk of Card running to replace him this fall. He has been denning that he would and the suddenly he resigns!?!? Stay tuned.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:57 am
Ah-Hah! That possibly explains the apparent "outta nowhere."

Don't wanna lose too many republican governorships.
0 Replies