The "War on Terror" Is A Farce

frolic

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 02:54 am
by Stephen Nichols
I just can't help but to say it... America's war on terrorism is a total farce. It is completely ridiculous. The only reason we're engaged in this battle is because we are afraid of what might happen if we don't. We're afraid of more terrorist attacks. So, we do what most frightened people do -- we resolve ourselves to destroying our perceived enemies. The war on terrorism is a knee-jerk reaction to the terrible tragedy of September 11th. As a people, we all reacted with both horror and indignation towards the World Trade Center attacks. The collective thoughts seem to be shock ("Oh my God, those poor people!"), followed by anger ("How dare anyone attack us?") followed by vengeance ("We will kill all who are against us!"). These collective thoughts have propelled us down the path of a war we cannot win. And, I fear, it will take tens of thousands more American lives to be lost for us to realize it.

You see, most Americans believe that America is the center of the Universe. As a people, we believe we're the best on Earth. Our current economic and military supremacy is what fuels this belief. We truly believe that we are invincible. Perhaps we believe this a bit less so now because we were attacked, but the fundamental belief still pervades our society. The war on terrorism is a crusade that seeks to replenish the evidence supporting our collective belief of invincibility. We want to prove to ourselves, and the world, that we are unassailable -- that we are indeed the most powerful people on Earth. Understanding this collective arrogance is key to understanding why the war began and foreseeing how it will be concluded.

I'm sure that many of you believe that this is a war that was forced on America. You may think that we were just minding our business when those evil terrorists attacked us out of the blue! There is some truth to that, from a limited perspective. Certainly, most of the thousands of civilians killed were just minding their business -- just trying to live their lives. Yet each of us, as American citizens, is ultimately responsible for the actions that our country takes (or fails to take). We are all equally responsible for our national actions. Most of us blatantly ignore this responsibility. We live our lives without paying much attention to the role we play in the world. We leave it to our elected officials to make the right decisions, only thinking about the issues that we believe affect us most directly. As citizens, we have all but ignored our foreign policy. It is that ignorance that has allowed our country to fall into the terrible situation that we are now in. The truth is that we brought this calamity on ourselves. It is our actions in the world that have angered the "terrorists" and have caused them to single us out for their aggression. This is so obviously true, yet ignored by the majority of Americans. Need proof? Consider the following quotes from a 1998 (three years before the 9/11 attacks) interview with Osama bin Laden for some insight into his thinking:

"The call to wage war against America was made because America has spear-headed the crusade against the Islamic nation, sending tens of thousands of its troops to the land of the two Holy Mosques over and above its meddling in its affairs and its politics, and its support of the oppressive, corrupt and tyrannical regime that is in control. These are the reasons behind the singling out of America as a target. And not exempt of responsibility are those Western regimes whose presence in the region offers support to the American troops there. We know at least one reason behind the symbolic participation of the Western forces and that is to support the Jewish and Zionist plans for expansion of what is called the Great Israel. Surely, their presence is not out of concern over their interests in the region. ... Their presence has no meaning save one and that is to offer support to the Jews in Palestine who are in need of their Christian brothers to achieve full control over the Arab Peninsula which they intend to make an important part of the so called Greater Israel."

"The wrongs and the crimes committed against the Muslim nation are far greater than can be covered by this interview. America heads the list of aggressors against Muslims. The recurrence of aggression against Muslims everywhere is proof enough. For over half a century, Muslims in Palestine have been slaughtered and assaulted and robbed of their honor and of their property. Their houses have been blasted, their crops destroyed. And the strange thing is that any act on their part to avenge themselves or to lift the injustice befalling them causes great agitation in the United Nations which hastens to call for an emergency meeting only to convict the victim and to censure the wronged and the tyrannized whose children have been killed and whose crops have been destroyed and whose farms have been pulverized."

"In today's wars, there are no morals, and it is clear that mankind has descended to the lowest degrees of decadence and oppression. They rip us of our wealth and of our resources and of our oil. Our religion is under attack. They kill and murder our brothers. They compromise our honor and our dignity and dare we utter a single word of protest against the injustice, we are called terrorists. This is compounded injustice. And the United Nations insistence to convict the victims and support the aggressors constitutes a serious precedence which shows the extent of injustice that has been allowed to take root in this land."

"Terrifying an innocent person and terrorizing him is objectionable and unjust, also unjustly terrorizing people is not right. Whereas, terrorizing oppressors and criminals and thieves and robbers is necessary for the safety of people and for the protection of their property. There is no doubt in this. Every state and every civilization and culture has to resort to terrorism under certain circumstances for the purpose of abolishing tyranny and corruption. Every country in the world has its own security system and its own security forces, its own police and its own army. They are all designed to terrorize whoever even contemplates to attack that country or its citizens. The terrorism we practice is of the commendable kind for it is directed at the tyrants and the aggressors and the enemies of Allah, the tyrants, the traitors who commit acts of treason against their own countries and their own faith and their own prophet and their own nation."

Osama bin Laden's thinking seems pretty clear to me. He states that we have meddled in the politics of his people (Saudi Arabia), which is true. He claims that we have supported the oppression of the Palestinian people, which is also true. He claims that we are responsible for the siege against Iraq, which is true as well. He also claims that his terrorist actions are being used to counter these actions that we have taken. Nowhere does he claim that he is against the USA because it is a freedom-loving people. Indeed, he seems to be saying that he is against us for quite the opposite. We are hypocrites of the highest order, professing a love of peace and freedom while we export oppression and terror.

Now, whether or not you agree with Osama bin Ladens's ideas is irrelevant. The bottom line is that our country's actions are what have caused him to decide to wage war against us. He clearly sees the way that our country treats the world, and he has chosen to fight against it. It is our collective arrogance that allows us to treat the majority of the world with total indifference. It is this indifference that has created our enemies. And, as we continue to operate with indifference, we will continue to generate more and more enemies.

It may not be obvious to you yet, but this war we are waging is a war we cannot win. We will not stamp out terrorism through continued aggression. We cannot cease the revolt against our oppressive policies through more oppressive policies. The very notion defies logical analysis. It is our deeply-rooted arrogance that keeps us from seeing this basic truth and acting on it. We must, for the sake of our ego, move aggressively against this phantom enemy -- an enemy that cannot be killed by bombs and guns. For each "terrorist" we kill, we are creating two more. We may quell the violence for a time, but it will continue to resurface until we address the root of the problem. That root is our oppressive policies toward the world.

Our arrogance has caused this problem. Our relentless oppression of the Muslim world is a symptom of this arrogance. This arrogance is fueled by a severe lack of love for the world's people. As a people, we simply don't care about others unless we are getting paid to. We kill people who disagree with us. We support oppressive regimes. We systematically disengage ourselves from responsibility for our actions. These are the reasons that the World Trade Center was destroyed -- and thousands of "innocent" civilians killed. Each of us is responsible for the thousands of deaths that occurred on that beautiful fall morning. As we continue to deny our role in this, we continue to dig ourselves deeper into conflict. Until we treat the world with love and respect, we will never experience lasting peace. Thousands upon thousands of people will die unless we change our ways. I can only hope and pray that we will make the right choices before it's too late...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,791 • Replies: 21
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 03:27 am
But a terrorism actually exists.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 02:00 pm
It does indeed. And in the US. And will until we get the terrorist out of office.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 02:17 pm
the christian jihad is a far more dangerous critter
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 04:35 pm
Make that the fundamentalist Christian jihad, and I'm with you, dys...

Not all of us are like that. Embarrassed
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 05:53 pm
i stand corrected and thats what i meant to say
i had to come back to this topic and edit after pondering what i said earlier and why i said it. i think Bush/Ashcroft as essentially trashed the name of the vast majority of substantial Christian like people (i mean that in the most positive way) its not unlike what has happened to the people of Islam who have been bashed because of a extreme minority. what we now see on the media, read in the press is the Bush/Ashcroft/Falwell/Hobson fanatics that easily lead to a presumption of "christians" all being of the same ilk..and for that Viz i humbly apologize.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 06:48 pm
No apology needed, dys. It's so easy to assume that all Christians are like the obnoxious ones, because unfortunately, they are often the most vocal. Truly, we Christians are our own worst enemies.

Funny you should compare it to Islam...I was thinking of that when I wrote my reply, in fact. The Muslims I know are very peace-loving people, very active in the community, accomplishing a lot of good things. They've taken quite a bashing for the fundamentalists of their faith, and I am very sympathetic.

All I can say is this...the Jesus I believe in was killed by religious people. And I have no doubt the same thing would happen all over again if he were here today.

(sigh...)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 07:14 pm
Visitor wrote:

All I can say is this...the Jesus I believe in was killed by religious people. And I have no doubt the same thing would happen all over again if he were here today.

Similar things happen in the non-religious politics. The fact is that in the past non-religious politics was rare.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 02:48 am
Frolic said "These are the reasons that the World Trade Center was destroyed -- and thousands of "innocent" civilians killed. Each of us is responsible for the thousands of deaths that occurred on that beautiful fall morning."

As a matter of interest, the official total numbers killed following the attack upon the Twin Towers totalled 2823 including airline passengers and fire-fighters. Of that total, around 1500 were foreign nationals. Yet average citizens have been brainwashed, for political reasons, into believing that MANY thousands of Americans died on September 11th - and they still do.

It is equally true, that had the buildings actually been 'aircraft-proof', as claimed by the architects and builders, then the death toll was certain to have been far smaller - although international outrage would have remained the same.

Therefore, whoever organised this attack, it seems likely that even these reduced total numbers of casualties far exceeded their original expectations.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 07:00 am
Visitor -- I always admire those who stand up to those within their own group who are wrong, like the moderate Republican senators who are increasingly vocal in their opposition to neo-con policies. I've talked with a friend who's a priest (Epis.) about the absence of strong protest within the Christian church about the fundamentalists and get a, "Well, you know, we really can't" answer. I think non-fundamentalist Christians have a job to do -- speak up within their communities when fundamentalists espouse violence and divisiveness and prejudice and -- maybe above all -- that lip-licking satisfaction when fundamentalists talk about "armageddon." Until they do, Christians will deserve to get lumped together with their evil twins.

John -- On local radio last night I heard what was for me a new theory about 9/11 and the split within the Bush administration. The guy talking about it was a nutty-sounding shouter, but what he said was quite compelling: 9/11 was a creature of Cheney and Rumsfeld and their ideological colleagues now in government, conceived in and managed from the then very new intelligence section of the Pentagon. Bush knew nothing about it. It's purpose was to set us on a war footing -- long-term -- and to divide and conquer the moderates within the administration and the Republican party, Powell being a major target. As one who's heard a lot of conspiracy theories, I have to admit that one gave me a chill on a hot night in Texas...
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:01 am
Tartarin:

No investigation leads us to believe many such theories. Nutty or not, this may have some truth, in as much as it follows PNAC goals. Everytime I see those initials, I get a chill and more. I get very, very angry, that we can't even have an investigation...and NO ONE CARES! They don't care enough to make a loud noise and shame this administration. There has got to be something they want hidden.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:07 am
Thanks for the compliment, Tartarin. You're right, we're avoiding a fight, but it's not because we're afraid of them. It's because we'd rather not split up the family. (Again.) I like to think of the fundamentalists as the "weird uncles"...every family's got 'em.

Remember the sponsors of MoveOn's "Win Without War" campaign. Several prominent Protestant denominations were listed there. And I believe the Pope spoke out against the "war" on Iraq, too.

Christian churches are not as well-connected as you might think. There are millions of little groups all over the place. We tend to huddle together in groups that think alike and focus on our own projects. We often pay little attention to the other groups, because there's more in-fighting than many can stand as it is. The legalists-vs.-liberals issue is just one of many, and we are trying not to let it divide us more than it already has. After all, how can we advocate tolerance in the rest of the world if we can't practice it within our own group?
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:17 am
911 was going to happen in some way - it just was "that" particular way and when and how. Not to say I am in the "cosnpiracy theory" camp, but I must say that going towards that line of reasoning does make more sense to me than the US government "response" ie: the "War" OF Terrorism.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:18 am
I don't think it's a virtue to tolerate the intolerant, Visitor. That's the problem. It's a weary old comparison -- but should the Germans have tolerated Hitler? Is that tolerance? Or is it fear?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:32 am
Cobalt -- My theory about conspiracy theories works like this:

During the 1999-2000 campaign, when Bush worried quite a few of us, we hypothesized what might happen if he were president. Included in those hypotheses were many which have since become realities. I don't think our track record in pre-judging this administration has been bad at all. For that reason, I'm not at all self-conscious about listening to and assessing as best I can many of the conspiracy theories which have surfaced. Some of them offer creepy and at least partially convincing photos, quotes, timelines, etc. I'd much rather risk being thought a nutcase for considering these possibilities than look back on myself later and wonder why I didn't have the guts to insist on a closer look at the more viable theories. Certainly, as VNN and others have pointed out, the secrecy of the administration and its limp investigative responses can only add serious doubt about a series of events which have been conspicuously convenient for the administration's political and military agenda.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:45 am
That's a very good point, Tartarin.

But still, we are really not organized as well as you may think. There is no forum for most Christians to tackle these issues head-on within their church structure. Nor would they care to. Many are so turned off by politics in general and church politics in particular that they leave these matters to their leaders. (Much like the rest of American society, I'm afraid, but that is a whole other topic.) I know there is a constant battle being fought among leaders in many churches, however. And it has resulted in polarization...the legalists band together, and the liberals band together in different groups.

Please don't misunderstand...I'm not trying to defend Christian churches here, merely explain them. I'd be the first to admit it isn't a perfect system.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:53 am
Visitor -- I think it probably needs to be done at its most difficult level: community by community, person by person.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:05 pm
Agreed.

And we probably need to vocalize our viewpoints to our leaders more effectively, too.

Hmmmm....same dynamics as the world at large.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 12:39 pm
Yup. Really hard to do. We need to make expression of opinion politically okay again and raise the level (hey, scrape it off the floor, come to that) of civic responsibility.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 03:09 pm
Quote:
...The war against terrorism, like the war against Iraq, functions in all but total indifference to facts.... Now, in an official report few will read, or are expected to read, their government admits that terrorism is at its lowest level in three decades, and that the actual risk it poses is statistically negligible. At the same time, the same government tells them they must live in fear of "appalling crimes" and mass destruction. Where is this leading Americans?
http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articleprint.tmplh&ArticleId=95522
0 Replies