Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:37 am
So here's the deal, I'm going to Italy for two weeks…YIPPY! For some reason my father is packing twelve suitcases, six with clothes and six with crap…well not crap, but gifts. One of the gifts is seventy pounds of frozen fish, who brings frozen fish over seas? Not to mention the weight limit imposed due to gas prices; how will be getting all this stuff over there? I don't want to be carrying fish in my luggage, if I get there and the first thing is say is "what is that smell I don't want it to be from my bags". Besides all that, almost all the suitcases are full and there are still 4 people who need to pack for the trip and I still need to bring more pants. WTF, why is he bringing so much unnecessary stuff? Well if anyone has ideas on how I can get all this to travel well give me a holler, I'm going to need all the advice I can get.

Cambece
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,791 • Replies: 40
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:14 am
Wow. No advice, but just imagine that 70lbs of fish getting lost in the baggage system for 6 weeks.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:02 am
The upside is, no one will take your luggage.

Anyway, tell Dad to ship the fish. Yes, it costs something, but considering as you're going to be hitting the weight limit anyway, you might as well pay for it to be packed and delivered properly.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
They have fish in Italy you know.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:11 am
I can just see it, making the gift of fish to a cousin in a small town outside Roma.

Gee, uh thanks? Nice fish.

Angela! Come get this damn fish!
Why'd he bring us fish? How should I know?
Americans, he probably didn't think we had any here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:19 am
Here you go, Cousin Antonia. Tonight, we sleep with the mackerel.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:32 am
Fish represent good fortune and prosperity so they really do make a nice gift.

But I too wouldn't want 70 pounds of them packed in my suitcase.

Is your dad sure that there won't be any problems simply bringing food into the country? That might give you an angle to convince him to ship the fish instead.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:34 am
A man? Who can't fit all his worldly possessions into one carry-on? Is the world coming to an end? Whassup with that?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
Boy, have I got a fish for you. When's your birthday, boomerang.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:25 pm
October 14.

So.... um..... what kind of fish do you have for me, roger?

I could so use some good fortune and prosperity!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:31 pm
Just the Catch of the Day.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:33 pm
Well okay then because, you, dear roger, are the catch of any day!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:37 pm
When I last went to Italy, I had one duffle bag for a month, so I could be mobile, taking lots of subways and trains, photographing in a fair number of cities.

I can see having two bags, with an empty bag for take home purchases tucked in to one of those two bags. But that's me.
That second bag would mean I would have to be taking taxis if I was moving from place to place..

But we're all different. My cousins went to a wedding of an old friend's daughter in Torino a few years ago, and I saw them off at the airport. They had this large cart, probably eight bags for the two of them, and they didn't go anywhere, even to see Torino itself - spent the whole ten days or so scheduled around the old friend's life related to meal functioning in her family villa.
Thus they didn't need to worry about mobility.

Sounds like you are going there as a family.. which I guess can be a wonderful experience. On the fish, I'd have it flash frozen and packed in the right kind of styrofoam (or whatever) insulated ice chest containers with dry ice (?), totally separate from the luggage. But hey, what can you do with family..

The fish are not all the same.. they're not the same within the US, much less across the Atlantic. I gather Sicily has, or had, great swordfish and tuna. Northern California has - or had - incredible wild salmon....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
There is also a chance italian family won't like fish they are not used to...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:49 pm
Boomer's right, maybe ital customs won't let the fish in. I dunno.

I know I bought some ciangiale (spelling?) wild boar sausage at the Rome international terminal and had it spirited away when I went through US Air (don't ask) customs in Pittsburg... They either let by or didn't mind my artichoke seeds...
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
12 suitcases including- 70 lbs of fish?....hmmm good luck I hope you get through customs with all that fish...besides how long is your flight? and will all this fish stay frozen?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:59 pm
Years ago my ex and I went to La Paz in Baja for a four day stay and it turned out most of the other people on the plane were flying there to go fishing. There were lots of serious looking ice chests at baggage claim, presumably hefty with dry ice, or I bet they got dry ice there in La Paz.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:02 pm
Does your dad know you can buy fresh fish in Italy? There are always a chance for flight delays and missed flights if there are any connections between your home city and your destination in Italy.

Fish? You should ask him why, fish? Sounds like there might be some sentiment attached to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:06 pm
Sentiment, or sharing..

or, maybe, see, this is better!!!

Sharing, probably.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm
To hell with everything else. You can get clothes and toothbrushes anywhere.

Do you think he would bring just any fish. I bet you it's extra special fish for his family. Clothes shoes etc,etc,.....Baghhh.

Dads know whats up. He'll give them a fish fry and the'll give him clothes and everything he needs. Then everybody will lagh and the'll never forget the fish your dad brought.
0 Replies