Rational Theists Step Forward

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 01:32 pm
queen annie wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Queenie wrote
Quote:
Such a statement implies you have surveyed every single theist regarding this issue.

yep every damn one of 'em. Took me a while too

Err....
I don't recall any interview between you and I specifically concerning this particular issue...

Quote:
I'm not that stupid.

Please, I beg your pardon. I never meant to imply that you were. Because I am quite certain you are far from it.

Quote:
Your implication is that everything will become known, I take issue with that[/b]

I didn't imply that...mainly because I don't know that for sure. So how can I say?

Quote:
If someone wishes to go away and contemplate their naval in a quiet room for several years, it matters not one jot to me. But when they think they are doing the will of God by putting a bomb on a tube train killing my neighbour, it matters quite a lot.

No doubt! That's just plain Evil or Very Mad and not something I approve of on any level, either.

But surely you realize that such persons house an unimaginable snare of self-deception, myriad insecurities, hurts, and hatreds that there is absolutely no reason to consider their words rational, on any subject...especially to do with an idea of something superior to themselves.

Just because they cry 'god made me do it' doesn't mean that all who sincerely say the word 'god' or 'gods' in other contexts are irrational. The flip-side folks use the old 'the devil made me do it' excuse--but it's all the same. Excuses and buck-passing (even to imagined spiritual entities) are always a symptom of denying personal responsibility (secondary to grandiose self-delusion.) And that's a psychological principle, not a religious one.
interesting. considering. replying. later Wink
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 03:32 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
The Rational Theist would have to believe that there is just as much likelihood in any of the possibilities, so could not by default be a monotheist.

When you say "all gods at the same level" and "superior god" if you mean does this imply that all gods would be equal in all respects, I do not specify. That would be open to the Rational Theist's understanding and interpretation of all the permutations of all the personifications of god. I would add however that if I was a Rational Theist then the answer would have to be that gods could vary in power and purpose.

The Rational Theist would have to accept all the personifications of god in all its permutations, not just the non corporeal, but also actual beings, animals, celestial bodies, the whole gamut.

Remember however that the word "theism" does not mean the same as the word "religion" and I make no stipulation as to religious choice except to say that:

-The rational Theist could not accept a religion in which one idealization of god superceded another idealization of god. . .
And this is rational because. . .?
The Rational Theist is a term I coined and as discussed is not intended as literal. But it does have a certain spicy (spacey?) flavor to it none the less!

The only argument I can make to support the definition of the Rational Theist is to say that given all permutations of god have an equal likelihood, then the Ration Theist is relatively more rational than the theist who focuses on only one or only a selection or personifications.

If you do not accept that all personifications of god have just as much likelihood I would challenge you to show that certain personifications of god are more or less likely than others.

Given that Theism itself has no evidence to suggest it is based on rationalism, and I have made that plain in a number of earlier posts, it none the less does not stop us from accepting Theism as a premise per se (and a certainly popular one at that FWIW). What parts after that do not make sense?

I am having fun dodging bullets!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 03:48 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Chumly wrote:
- The rational Theist could not accept a religion in which one idealization of god superceded another idealization of god.
So this "rational theist" - a myth imo- places all gods at the same level? There is no superior god, they are all the same? So your rational theist is either a polytheist, or alternatively the term does not apply to followers of a monotheistic cult or religion.

Or an agnostic. This rational theist sounds a lot like an agnostic.
Whelp the Rational Theist definitively believes in god, and an agnostic believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God, so that is one difference.

The Rational Theist *may* also be religious, and an agnostic being doubtful and/or noncommittal would not be religious, so that is another difference.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:43 pm
Chumly wrote:
. . . The only argument I can make to support the definition of the Rational Theist is to say that given all permutations of god have an equal likelihood, then the Ration Theist is relatively more rational than the theist who focuses on only one or only a selection or personifications.

If you do not accept that all personifications of god have just as much likelihood I would challenge you to show that certain personifications of god are more or less likely than others.
I should think the burden of proof would be on the one offering the proposal.

Nevermind.

There are many gods. Only one could be the one designated as 'he who causes to become'. The likelihood of a second prime mover would be zero.

Chumly wrote:
Given that Theism itself has no evidence to suggest it is based on rationalism, and I have made that plain in a number of earlier posts, it none the less does not stop us from accepting Theism as a premise per se (and a certainly popular one at that FWIW). What parts after that do not make sense?

I am having fun dodging bullets!
Faith must be tested. Not all reach rational conclusions.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:32 pm
neologist wrote:
I should think the burden of proof would be on the one offering the proposal.
OK. The only way to disprove that all personifications of god are equally as likely would be to prove some personifications are more likely or some less likely, and this would be tantamount to proving god exists, or does not exist, and/or at the least supplying evidence or an argument to prove some merit for such. Therefore, unless or until such valid argument or valid evidence is put forward, it is more rational to say all personifications of god are equally as likely. Remember I am not assigning a net likelihood to any or all personifications of god per se. I am only giving equal merit to all personifications of god.
neologist wrote:
There are many gods. Only one could be the one designated as 'he who causes to become'. The likelihood of a second prime mover would be zero.
You're welcome to your beliefs but you have no argument or evidence to put forward that "Only one could be the one designated as 'he who causes to become" So it is just as likely there are 100.
neologist wrote:
Faith must be tested.
OK. How would you suggest the test be made to show your personification of god to be the correct one?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
By definition, only one may be prime or foremost.

Test the validity of the bible as a predictor:

I acknowledge the objection that bible prophecy could have been written after the fact.

But

There are a number of prophecies in the bible extending beyond the date of completion of the bible. One has been bantered about here. Despite the caterwauling of timber and Setanta, I maintain it is only one of many examples I could cite.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:38 pm
neologist wrote:

this is angels dancing on pinheads.
If big god caused little gods, who caused big god?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:40 pm
what are you doing eating lunch in the middle to the night?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:43 pm
I ate that post for lunch, it was tasty, see, it's gone!
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:51 pm
Chumly wrote:
I am only giving equal merit to all personifications of god.

Did I miss this particular point all along--'personification' of god???!?

Because I'm not down with that, at all. My perceptions of God are nothing anthromorphic, at all.

But, on the other hand, I do understand that other's personfications of God are equally acceptable (for them, not me) because it's part of the 'getting there,' so to speak.

I think that personifying god, as a theist, precludes the rationality or equitable acceptance of alternative personifications. Because assigning a particular individuality to diety, related to one's self, draws a line in the mind that limits perception and creates an illusion.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:08 pm
I meant personification as per meaning #2. Words are such tricky beasts!
I did not intend to suggest any limitations through anthropomorphization or other means.

1. The act of personifying.
2. A person or thing typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification: "He's invisible, a walking personification of the Negative" (Ralph Ellison).
3. A figure of speech in which inanimate objects or abstractions are endowed with human qualities or are represented as possessing human form, as in Hunger sat shivering on the road or Flowers danced about the lawn. Also called prosopopeia.
4. Artistic representation of an abstract quality or idea as a person.

Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite!
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 09:00 am
Good morning, Chumly!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still in the discussion.

hee hee
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
queen annie wrote:

Just because they cry 'god made me do it' doesn't mean that all who sincerely say the word 'god' or 'gods' in other contexts are irrational. The flip-side folks use the old 'the devil made me do it' excuse--but it's all the same. Excuses and buck-passing (even to imagined spiritual entities) are always a symptom of denying personal responsibility (secondary to grandiose self-delusion.) And that's a psychological principle, not a religious one.
But they dont say 'god made me do it'. They are only too willing to take responsibility, because they feel they are doing the will of god, freely and voluntarily...for which they will be rewarded by god in the afterlife. I supposed it depends on how you define rational and irrational. I would say planting bombs for a free Israel, or free Palestine (depending on the time frame) whilst wicked is at least rational. Planting bombs to please some concept of divinity is both wicked and irrational to the point of madness imo.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:45 pm
Do you really think it's THAT simple?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:51 pm
not really, it just came to me
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 06:12 pm
aaah an epiphany of sorts eh? LOL
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:44 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
would say planting bombs for a free Israel, or free Palestine (depending on the time frame) whilst wicked is at least rational. Planting bombs to please some concept of divinity is both wicked and irrational to the point of madness imo.

I think planting bombs (for the purpose of material and human destruction) is irrational and wicked in any case, whatsoever. But that's just me...
0 Replies